U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 AM

32 posts, read 38,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I wasn't alive in the early 70's, but I do remember around '92 or '93 when the "gangsta rap" started getting more popular. This was when young (mostly black) males were listening to Dr Dre and Tupac, and watching movies like 'Menace to Society' and 'Boyz N The Hood'. The "west coast gangsta" culture seemed to get more popular around that time and that's when the youth violence started increasing nationwide.
alot of people beleive this to be true, but its not. Murder rates were actually higher in the early 70s than in the late 80s, and early 90s. There was simply more coverage of it in the media in the 90s.

The topic creator is wrong. Southern states were not the only places more violent in the 70s than the 80s and 90s.
Both Detroit and NYC had crime rates almost double in the 70s than the 90s. Big cities in general were extremely violent and deadly in the 70s.
One word, heroin.

theres nothing more deadly than a poor heroin addict trying to chase his next high, not even a crack counterpart can compare. heroin addicts can literally die if they dont ingest heroin on a daily basis and it costs much more than crack. alot of extremely desperate people willing to do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 AM

48,001 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyJanitor View Post
alot of people beleive this to be true, but its not. Murder rates were actually higher in the early 70s than in the late 80s, and early 90s. There was simply more coverage of it in the media in the 90s.

The topic creator is wrong. Southern states were not the only places more violent in the 70s than the 80s and 90s.
Both Detroit and NYC had crime rates almost double in the 70s than the 90s. Big cities in general were extremely violent and deadly in the 70s.
One word, heroin.

theres nothing more deadly than a poor heroin addict trying to chase his next high, not even a crack counterpart can compare. heroin addicts can literally die if they dont ingest heroin on a daily basis and it costs much more than crack. alot of extremely desperate people willing to do anything.
I never said Southern cities were the only places that were violent in the 1970's. I was asking a question SPECIFICALLY about Southern cities because there was a curiosity sparked in me about the South. I have looked at this from a historically level. The Southern states have historically had higher violent crime rates than the rest of the nation.

The reason I asked is because I watched a gangland documentary about gangs in South Carolina. My English professor told me that South Carolina was very violent during the Antebellum days. I thought about it and looked some stats up. I noticed that it was around the 1970's that many areas in the South had their highest rates of violence. I wanted to know what factors were taking place during the mid 1970's in the South. I never said the South was the only violent place. I just said I wanted to know what was going on in the South during the 1970s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.