U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 10 days ago)
 
48,065 posts, read 45,465,557 times
Reputation: 15325

Advertisements

I was watching an episode of Gangland this morning. The place was Columbia,SC. I started to think about some things, mainly about South Carolina's crime rate. I decided to go and look it up. I kept looking deeper. I found some interesting patterns. For many of the southern states(1960-2008), the time in which the highest murder rate occurred was in the time period between 1972-1975. The exceptions are:
Louisiana(20.3 murders per 100,000 in 1993)
Arkansas(12 murders per 100,000 in 1994)
Virginia(12.3 murders per 100,000 in 1960)
I want to here from some of you what events you think might have contributed to the murder rates during the period between 1972-1975, and to the outliers I have listed.

I ask because for many of the states, the time for the highest murder rate was in the early 1980's or early 1990's, with still many states having their highest murder rate in the mid 1970's. I noticed that most of the states that had their highest murder rate in the mid 1970's are in the South. From 1980-1995, most of those states that recorded their highest murder rate were in the North and West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2010, 12:57 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,256 posts, read 11,960,068 times
Reputation: 3080
The southern states still have among the highest murder rates in the nation.
I don't know the actual numbers though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I was watching an episode of Gangland this morning. The place was Columbia,SC. I started to think about some things, mainly about South Carolina's crime rate. I decided to go and look it up. I kept looking deeper. I found some interesting patterns. For many of the southern states(1960-2008), the time in which the highest murder rate occurred was in the time period between 1972-1975. The exceptions are:
Louisiana(20.3 murders per 100,000 in 1993)
Arkansas(12 murders per 100,000 in 1994)
Virginia(12.3 murders per 100,000 in 1960)
I want to here from some of you what events you think might have contributed to the murder rates during the period between 1972-1975, and to the outliers I have listed.

I ask because for many of the states, the time for the highest murder rate was in the early 1980's or early 1990's, with still many states having their highest murder rate in the mid 1970's. I noticed that most of the states that had their highest murder rate in the mid 1970's are in the South. From 1980-1995, most of those states that recorded their highest murder rate were in the North and West.
I'd guess drugs mixed in with racial tension among other things. Racism was still a huge issue in the south during those times, but with blacks having more freedom; they didn't take it sitting down anymore and become more violent towards the whites.

My mother told me when the movie Roots came out; the next day blacks when to school and surrounded the school not letting the whites in. That's when a huge riot broke out. This was after 1975 though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 10 days ago)
 
48,065 posts, read 45,465,557 times
Reputation: 15325
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
The southern states still have among the highest murder rates in the nation.
I don't know the actual numbers though.
The southern states traditionally have had the highest murder rates, and still do.
What I wanted to point out is that the time when most of the southern states had their highest individual murder rate was in the early to mid 1970's. For instance, in Georgia, where I live, the highest murder rate ever for Georgia was in 1972, with a murder rate of 18.5 murders per 100,000. In New Jersey, the highest murder rate ever recorded(from 1960-2008) was in 1980. It was 6.9 murders per 100,000 people.
How this breaks down:
New Jersey(1980): Population of 7,342,164. 504 murders
Georgia (1972): Population of 4,720,000. 871 murders

You have a point about the south having the highest murder rates though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 10 days ago)
 
48,065 posts, read 45,465,557 times
Reputation: 15325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'd guess drugs mixed in with racial tension among other things. Racism was still a huge issue in the south during those times, but with blacks having more freedom; they didn't take it sitting down anymore and become more violent towards the whites.

My mother told me when the movie Roots came out; the next day blacks when to school and surrounded the school not letting the whites in. That's when a huge riot broke out. This was after 1975 though.
Maybe so. I wasn't alive in 1975. It seems kind of interesting to me. The south has traditionally had the highest murder rate in the USA, and continues to do so today. On the other hand, I noticed that during the 1970's, murder rates hit their peaks in the 70's. I know where I live, murder rates were really high during the 1970's.

What sticks out is that Louisiana didn't hit its peak until 1993 and Virginia hit its peak in 1960 and never got that high again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 02:00 PM
 
56,580 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Reputation: 12499
Also, a thing people forget is that the White crime rate in the South tends to be higher than that in other regions, if I'm not mistaken. So, that also could be a contributing factor, as the South tends to have more poverty than other regions as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 10 days ago)
 
48,065 posts, read 45,465,557 times
Reputation: 15325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, a thing people forget is that the White crime rate in the South tends to be higher than that in other regions, if I'm not mistaken. So, that also could be a contributing factor, as the South tends to have more poverty than other regions as well.
That is one thing to consider. I found this in a newspaper article regarding the murder rate in the USA. One thing mentioned was the "honor culture" in the South. What was meant by that was the "honor killings" in the olden days, such as the duels. From what I read in that paper, antebellum South Carolina had a higher murder rate than Massachussetts.

And Virginia has rapidly become more affluent since 1960, so it would make sense for it to have some of the lowest murder rates in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 02:31 PM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,209,016 times
Reputation: 14558
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I was watching an episode of Gangland this morning. The place was Columbia,SC. I started to think about some things, mainly about South Carolina's crime rate. I decided to go and look it up. I kept looking deeper. I found some interesting patterns. For many of the southern states(1960-2008), the time in which the highest murder rate occurred was in the time period between 1972-1975. The exceptions are:
Louisiana(20.3 murders per 100,000 in 1993)
Arkansas(12 murders per 100,000 in 1994)
Virginia(12.3 murders per 100,000 in 1960)
I want to here from some of you what events you think might have contributed to the murder rates during the period between 1972-1975, and to the outliers I have listed.

I ask because for many of the states, the time for the highest murder rate was in the early 1980's or early 1990's, with still many states having their highest murder rate in the mid 1970's. I noticed that most of the states that had their highest murder rate in the mid 1970's are in the South. From 1980-1995, most of those states that recorded their highest murder rate were in the North and West.

contrast Violent Crime rates vs. Murder rates since 1975. In South Carolina, at least, murder rates have fallen, while violent crime rates have risen.

perhaps murders are being classified as miscellaneous violent crime? who knows. i'm inclined to say that it is a change in measurement techniques, rather than a change in actual murders.

anecdotally -- that time period in the early-mid 1970's was when cocaine (not crack, just cocaine), became imported in large quantities into the south, from Latin America. For example, I had an uncle murdered in Columbia SC in 1975, over cocaine. I have friends, who have stories about their dads and uncles in the mid 70's, loading up speedboats full of cocaine in Cuba, and driving them into the Charleston harbor, up the Wateree River, and unloading them from there. One "friend's dad" in particular, who was just released from prison recently, has a photo of himself, with Jack Nicholson and Jimmy Buffett, with cigars, on some huge boat in the carribbean. Anyway, they're just stories, maybe unrelated to the murder rates of that day.

Last edited by le roi; 08-02-2010 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 10 days ago)
 
48,065 posts, read 45,465,557 times
Reputation: 15325
There was one thing I forgot to consider when I was asking this question: raw number of murders. Murders per 100,000 might have hit their peaks in many southern states during the 1970's, but I have found something else. The number of raw numbers hit their peaks in between 1991-1995, many around 1993 and 1994. Louisiana, Maryland, Arkansas, Mississippi, North Carolina were among those states between 1993-1994. Virginia had a record high number of murders in 1991, around the same year Washington,DC had a murder rate of 80 murders per 100,000. Tennessee hit its record number(in raw numbers) in 1995.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 10 days ago)
 
48,065 posts, read 45,465,557 times
Reputation: 15325
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
contrast Violent Crime rates vs. Murder rates since 1975. In South Carolina, at least, murder rates have fallen, while violent crime rates have risen.

perhaps murders are being classified as miscellaneous violent crime? who knows. i'm inclined to say that it is a change in measurement techniques, rather than a change in actual murders.

anecdotally -- that time period in the early-mid 1970's was when cocaine (not crack, just cocaine), became imported in large quantities into the south, from Latin America. For example, I had an uncle murdered in Columbia SC in 1975, over cocaine. I have friends, who have stories about their dads and uncles in the mid 70's, loading up speedboats full of cocaine in Cuba, and driving them into the Charleston harbor, up the Wateree River, and unloading them from there. One "friend's dad" in particular, who was just released from prison recently, has a photo of himself, with Jack Nicholson and Jimmy Buffett, with cigars, on some huge boat in the carribbean. Anyway, they're just stories, maybe unrelated to the murder rates of that day.
Violent crime is another thing to consider. I will look that up, along with other things I need to look up.

I always thought that violence related to cocaine(and crack) was something from the 1980's. Florida and Georgia both had a record number of murders in 1981. 1,522 for Florida and 960 for Georgia. I figured the cocaine trade might have had something to do with it. Atlanta has been a major distribution center for drugs and Miami was one of the stops along the way.

Interesting you mention the mid 1970's in South Carolina. 1974 saw the highest recorded numbers of murders in South Carolina(at least between 1960-2008). The number was around 452. 1972 saw the highest murders per 100,000 with 16.8. Maybe cocaine might have hit SC. I don't know for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top