U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:34 PM

129 posts, read 162,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm surprised Minnesota is so high on this list. I always thought it was one of the more progressive states - not in the same category as Arizona!
We're still way too liberal. Hopefully Tom Emmer can change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 05:46 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,577,680 times
Hopefully Tom Emmer will never see the governor's office.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:56 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,486,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Wow according that, California is only 1% more liberal than Illinois.
I'd believe that. California is home to a significant amount of very vocal liberals, however, so it gets a rep for a bit more liberal than it actually is.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:11 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,988,108 times
I think California's one of those states that's a tad bipolar. California's 22nd district, which includes parts of Bakersfield, is listed as having a Cook Partisan Voting Index that's the same as Northwest Arkansas or Tulsa. That might not be surprising as I think many of its, legal, residents descend from "Okies" and "Arkies." The 21st, mostly looks to be in Tulare, has been represented by Republicans since 1981 and its partisan index is the same as Alaska or Oklahoma City's district. The Bay Area has some of the most liberal districts in America.

Cook Partisan Voting Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although by the looks of it Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Texas have slightly more extremes of Right and Left in partisan voting.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,988,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
This is what people call themselves. Many of the moderates in Mass would probably be considered liberal by other people, as i'm sure some self-described moderates in red states would seem conservative to people elsewhere.

News pundits and politicians have succeeded in turning "liberal" into a dirty word so it's makes sense that less people would call themselves liberal than conservative, even here in Mass, an obviously liberal state.

EDIT: I think one of the most interesting parts of this is to look at what states have the most self-described moderates. I'm not sure if there is any correlation between them, seems sorta random. If anything it seems the states with the most moderates are solidly liberal states and solidly conservative states. Hawaii comes out on top.
The states with over 40% as self-described moderates, and therefore with a moderate plurality, seem to be

Hawaii - 47% - Democratic
Delaware - 45% - Democratic
Nevada - 41% - Swing state

States that have a 5% "net-moderate", moderate is 5% or more high than conservative, seem to include

Maryland - 40% moderate, 32% conservative
Maine - 40% moderate, 35% conservative
California - 39% moderate, 33% conservative
New York - 38% moderate, 31% conservative
Washington - 38% moderate, 33% conservative

All solid Democratic states.

Montana seems to be the most Republican state to have a moderate plurality.

State that has had the biggest growth of self-described moderates compared to 2009: Looks to be a tie between Delaware and Montana.

State that has had the biggest decline of self-described moderates compared to 2009: Rhode Island.

I had studied which had moved more liberal or conservative but I forget the results. It seems like Wisconsin had notable growth in self-described conservatism and Rhode Island in self-described liberalism.

If the Gallup study looks more conservative than you think people are bear in mind that

One: "Liberal" still has a negative connotation to much of America.

Two: Church-going people over 50 tend to identify as conservative, sometimes even if they vote Democratic, and also tend to be underrepresented on online forums. To a lesser extent they are also underrepresented in large cities and college towns.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:25 PM

34,706 posts, read 33,724,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Wyoming, Mississippi, Utah Rank as Most Conservative States

I was a bit surprised how more people identify as "conservative" as opposed to "liberal", given the majority democratic Congress and President. It does have a good explanation of the survey method on the first page.

Please, no more "most liberal/conservative" regions/states threads please.
It would be even more interesting to find out how recently they converted.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:19 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,459,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wish I had this list when I was debating with someone about the most liberal places in the south and people kept saying Texas was the most conservative.
I know, right? It's nice to see Texans proved right for once, even us expatriates! In fact, if I read it correctly, Texas is among the least conservative of the southern states, which I've been trying to tell friends of mine along. It looks like only Kentucky and Virginia beat us.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,459,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I'm surprised Minnesota is so high on this list. I always thought it was one of the more progressive states - not in the same category as Arizona!

I'm shocked D.C. is so liberal (even though it isn't a state). Rhode Island is a little bit of a surprise, I expected Vermont and Massachusetts to be more liberal.
Rhode Island shouldn't be a surprise. It's basically a poor relation of Massachusetts and Connecticut.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,582,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think California's one of those states that's a tad bipolar. California's 22nd district, which includes parts of Bakersfield, is listed as having a Cook Partisan Voting Index that's the same as Northwest Arkansas or Tulsa. That might not be surprising as I think many of its, legal, residents descend from "Okies" and "Arkies." The 21st, mostly looks to be in Tulare, has been represented by Republicans since 1981 and its partisan index is the same as Alaska or Oklahoma City's district. The Bay Area has some of the most liberal districts in America.

Cook Partisan Voting Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although by the looks of it Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Texas have slightly more extremes of Right and Left in partisan voting.
In Georgia, the white population is solidly Republican. Blacks and other non-whites are solidly Democrat. That's your extreme. Within each subgroup, however, there isn't that much variation.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:35 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,705,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
I know, right? It's nice to see Texans proved right for once, even us expatriates! In fact, if I read it correctly, Texas is among the least conservative of the southern states, which I've been trying to tell friends of mine along. It looks like only Kentucky and Virginia beat us.
Don't forget Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or