U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:51 PM

9 posts, read 13,572 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

New to the site, hoping to use you traveling types' expertise to find a city I'll finally be happy with. But first a little background:

As a single, recent college grad, I've never lived in a city I liked. First it was Harrisburg, PA followed by Pittsburgh and now Atlanta. I'd like to live in a big city but so far the two I've lived in have sucked (for me). I'm looking to move and I know what I want, however seeing as I've never even traveled any further west than Chicago, and then only once, I don't want to invest a lot of money and time moving somewhere that I'll be miserable. So here's my checklist:

City on a grid
Motorcycle friendly would be a big plus
Has to be warm year round or almost so, I love heat so 100+ temps don't bother me
More conservative leaning (not necessary but preferable)
A place that's not stuffy, where you can see for miles if you're looking down the right street
Ocean would be nice but failing that, some large body of water nearby
A large population of people in their early to mid-20s, I feel like I'm all alone where I live now
An abundance of single bedroom or studio apartments that are affordable
Honestly more aggressive than passive drivers would be nice too. I'm thinking Philly or New York style

From what I've researched I really like Miami, Houston and LA/San Diego. However I don't want my car to go floating away when the next big hurricane hits and I'm really adverse to earthquakes and forest fires (I got really sick a few years ago when the smoke from a forest fire in Canada hit the east coast)

Any suggestions would be helpful, especially if they do anything to assuage fears about moving to the aforementioned cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 02:22 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,991,715 times
Well, I'm still going to suggest somewhere "south", and I'll begin with the Palm Spring-Palm Desert region. The main obstacle in your criteria is that these areas have a large "older population" that attracts retirees. (Hopefully a poster who lives around there can offer some feedback on this.)

I wouldn't say it's conservative, either. I envision that area has being an interesting conflict between liberal and conservative.

Terrific weather despite the hot summers (you could travel elsewhere guilt-free during that season), and a LOT of wonderful open drives for bikes. Bikers love the Palms-to-Pines drive, but there are numerous other routes.

It does get very windy sometimes, and they do get occasional sandstorms. Some days are hazy. But many days it's very bright and blue with pristine skies at night. And, yes, most of California is susceptible to the earthquakes, but I don't believe this area is that close to the faultline (again, if a poster can clarify, please do).

The ocean is a couple hours drive. Not bad.

But there is plenty of hiking to be enjoyed there, including Joshua Tree Monument and the AWESOME Indian Canyons (which tourists know about or bother to visit).

Pace of life is much slower there. But I'd recommend checking it out, anyway. You'll like it or you won't.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:37 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,173,501 times
Savannah sounds like the perfect fit for you on all accounts.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:12 PM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Jayuya View Post
City on a grid
Motorcycle friendly would be a big plus
Has to be warm year round or almost so, I love heat so 100+ temps don't bother me
More conservative leaning (not necessary but preferable)
A place that's not stuffy, where you can see for miles if you're looking down the right street
Ocean would be nice but failing that, some large body of water nearby
A large population of people in their early to mid-20s, I feel like I'm all alone where I live now
An abundance of single bedroom or studio apartments that are affordable
Honestly more aggressive than passive drivers would be nice too. I'm thinking Philly or New York style
Have you considered Charleston, SC? It hits all of your criteria.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:37 PM

129 posts, read 162,425 times
Savannah and Charleston

Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,966,706 times
Charleston is what I was gonna say- Other than that, I'd suggest Tampa, FL

Old 08-02-2010, 06:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, you're all bringing up places that I hadn't even looked into before now, I'll check them all out

Old 08-02-2010, 08:17 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,766,777 times
Depends what he means by stuffy, Those cities are pretty humid.

I've never been there but Phoenix popped into my mind, maybe ABQ? Where are the nearest lakes?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,093,248 times
While there isn't an ocean I would check the Phoenix/Scottsdale area out maby even Tucson or even check out Austin.

Home : VisitPhoenix.com

Scottsdale Hotels, Restaurants, Golf - Arizona Vacation Information - Scottsdale CVB

Official Tucson Travel Information Guide Website

Austin Texas - Events, Austin Hotels & Attractions, Convention Information, Guides, and More - ACVB

Old 08-03-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Depends what he means by stuffy, Those cities are pretty humid.

I've never been there but Phoenix popped into my mind, maybe ABQ? Where are the nearest lakes?
Sorry to mislead, I don't really care about the humidity. By "stuffy" I mean cities where you're surrounded by trees and mountains, like Pittsburgh which is in a valley. I'd rather be in a place where there's a lot of open space, like I'd imagine Phoenix would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or