U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2010, 06:51 PM
 
Location: San Diego
1,762 posts, read 3,051,921 times
Reputation: 1233

Advertisements

I would say Bloomington has to be my favorite smaller towns in the country. There are a lot of good restaurants and a great college town vibe. There are probably only one to three major snowfalls a year too. The commute to Indianapolis can be less than an hour depending on how fast you drive too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2010, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Reputation: 7280
I had an awesome childhood and I grew up in a relatively small city. My neighborhood had parks, restaurants, stores, and lots of kids. Now when I go back though; it's rare to see kids outside playing or socializing with others. It just shows time has change due to technology advancing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 07:06 PM
 
1,250 posts, read 2,117,296 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I had an awesome childhood and I grew up in a relatively small city. My neighborhood had parks, restaurants, stores, and lots of kids. Now when I go back though; it's rare to see kids outside playing or socializing with others. It just shows time has change due to technology advancing.
It is more parents are so afraid of having their children go outside and do anything, especially if it has even the most remote of risk. The irony is how often they then complain that their children are fat and can't handle the real world when they are older, not realizeing the first part might be a reason for the second part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 31,768,262 times
Reputation: 5220
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
It is more parents are so afraid of having their children go outside and do anything, especially if it has even the most remote of risk. The irony is how often they then complain that their children are fat and can't handle the real world when they are older, not realizeing the first part might be a reason for the second part.
...and it's not because crime rates are any higher than back in the day. In fact, it's generally safer now. You can thank 24 hour cable news and the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 07:49 PM
 
10,630 posts, read 23,416,959 times
Reputation: 6702
Cost of living is obviously the big issue in LA, but our old neighborhood in South Pasadena had a lot of houses for rent, and many kids seemed to be out and about in the neighborhood. The kids on our block played outside all the time, and if we'd lived there longer (which we had fully anticipated doing), our son would have been walking to school, walking to the ice cream store, walking to the park, etc. It was a great place to be a kid. (public schools are good, too!) Something like that could be an option if you choose to stay in the LA area. We couldn't have afforded to buy there, but some of the rentals weren't too bad. It reminded me a bit of the Midwest, just with wild parrots and lizards in the yard (and a higher price tag, alas).

That said, there were still definitely parents who were afraid to let their kids out, but I agree with those who say that's a sign of the times, not location. Where we are now in Minneapolis the kids for the most part are pretty independent and outside all the time, but not every parent is willing to let their kids do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,167,283 times
Reputation: 7598
I grew up in the Caribbean. Inside was for sleeping only. My younger sisters play outside, but not as much as I did. There are too many inside distractions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 10:46 PM
 
1,250 posts, read 2,117,296 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
...and it's not because crime rates are any higher than back in the day. In fact, it's generally safer now. You can thank 24 hour cable news and the internet.
That is something that goes over most peoples heads is that crime rates are overall lower than at least the last 40 years. The only things that are different is that crimes are more reported and teh news cycle that lives off of peoples fear. I would think that especially if all crimes were reported in the past, it is safer now in most areas than in the pre 1960's period. That era is percieved safer due to only rose-colored glasses, non-reporting of a number of crimes, non-sensationalist media, and not reporting on bad areas.

I am thinking whenever lists a whole city or metro as a high-crime area, that it tends to be distorted since it is non evenly distributed. It would be interesting to compare areas as to how distributed crime is, since oftentimes say half of the crime cocurs in 10% of the area for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,687 posts, read 33,690,741 times
Reputation: 51892
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetplane View Post
I live in Los Angeles with my husband and 10-year-old son. We live in a nice area in an apartment, but can't afford to buy a house here (or anywhere in or around LA). It drives me crazy that our son can't simply "go outside and play" in the summer. Either we need to arrange formal play dates or he hangs out inside playing video games. Do kids in other parts of the country live like this??? My husband and I both grew up in the midwest and had a much more independent childhood. Is there somewhere can we move that would give my son the kind of childhood we had? We need good public schools and affordable housing in a safe, kid-friendly neighborhood. Ideally, we'd like to be in a scenic college town, but close enough to commute to a larger city. And hopefully not too much snow. Any ideas?
Why do you live in Los Angeles? Unless you say why you live there, how can we suggest alternatives? Do you live there because of relatives? Jobs? Lifestyle? If I were looking for someplace nice and affordable, Los Angeles wouldn't be my choice so I'm guessing something else made you move there to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 AM
 
3 posts, read 3,557 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why do you live in Los Angeles? Unless you say why you live there, how can we suggest alternatives? Do you live there because of relatives? Jobs? Lifestyle? If I were looking for someplace nice and affordable, Los Angeles wouldn't be my choice so I'm guessing something else made you move there to begin with.
LA was our choice when we moved out here over 20 years ago, but that was before marriage and before kids. Our lives and priorities have changed, and we're willing to change jobs and take pay cuts if it means better QOL, especially for our son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,256 posts, read 11,962,576 times
Reputation: 3080
I never really understood why parents would never let their child's friends hang out at their home. Whether it's in the yard or inside, I think it's good for a parent to get to know who their kid is hanging out with. At least up until high school.
My mother always let me invite friends over for sleepovers every weekend- the memories of it all were great. (as long as I did my chores)

I used to always be outside doing crazy things with neighborhood friends. The hell if I see kids running around the block, playing sword fights with sticks, climbing trees, and playing neighborhood manhunt in today's society. At-least not around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top