Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,717,418 times

Advertisements

yo terripin, if you hate the Bal/Wash area so much why are you living here? or are you going to college?

Old 11-02-2007, 12:54 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,298,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Atlanta is horrible. There is too much urban sprawl, worse than most cities and possiblyas bad as in LA. Pollution is very bad during summer. Because of it's sprawl nature, Atlanta is hardly walkable in most places(it is summer now so walking anywhere is a nightmare). The public transit system (MARTA) is a joke. It's rail line only covers two small counties(I don't live in either one). Some of the other counties have formed their own bus systems, which are also very bad in a sense. Most of the metro Atlanta counties have rejected MARTA, believing that it brings in "crime". If you live in metro Atlanta and you don't have a car, life will be very difficult at best.
There are racial tensions, not as bad as they could be, but they are there, particularly in the outer counties(Paulding,Forsyth, etc). I know from experience. Actually, Forsyth County was known for a civil rights march in the 1980's protesting racism in Forsyth County. Some problems erupted.
Crime is a big problem. The number of murders in Atlanta last year was 107. I am just talking about Atlanta city itself. Particularly the suburbs in Clayton and Dekalb County have crime problems. Even Marietta has some crime.
In many ways, Atlanta is the LA of the South.
I understand what you're saying, but you live out in the 'burbs, which absolutely suck. If you want the full-on Atlanta experience, you gotta live Intown.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:31 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,547,813 times
The sprawl is definitely worse out west then in the east with the exception of maybe the Detroit area. Phoenix, Houston, LA--they have horrible sprawl problems but even mid to small towns have horrible sprawl. Car city everywhere. It's disgusting when you are not right in the city or out in a very, small remote area.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:38 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,798,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I don't think Orlando is that bad, there's a pleasant downtown area in addition to the theme parks that are good. As for chain restaurants....well Orlando is home to the headquarters of Durden Restaurants which owns both Olive Garden and Red Lobster. But I think this is happening all voer the nation, to get some nice family-owned mom and pop stores you probably have to go to small towns, especially in the South and the Midwest.
You know something? None of these posts in this thread look like my posting style...it's pretty old though, so I'm not worried.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:47 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,161,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
1. Detroit - definitely a Third World city. The economic and racial divide is as stark as apartheid-era South Africa. The city feels more like Sarajevo and other Eastern Bloc cities than an American city. Not even Baghdad....at least Baghdad is bright and sunny.

3. Philadelphia-Camden - see reasons for Detroit. Philly is a dump as is Camden. If you extend it east you get to Atlantic City which is also a dump. If you next it north you get to even more decayed PA towns.

10. Cleveland - decayed Rust Belt dump

Philadelphia is surrounded by 5 of the wealthiest 40 counties in the usa. 8 of the top 100 wealthiest counties in the usa. Suburban Philadlephia has something obscene like 84 of the top 100 wealthiest zip codes in Pennsylvania

The 3 sq. miles of center city Philadephia might be the best continuous 100,000 person neighborhood in the usa. Incredible high end historic Philly neighborhoods like Chestnut Hill,Mount Airy, Soceity HIll,Rittenhouse,East Falls, Spruce HIll absolutely destroys anything you have to offer as a sacrificial lamb down there in your maryland sprawville suburbia.

You need to educate yourself before you go spouting off about places you know nothing about.If you want to keep making a fool of yourself keep typing away dude.

Dont just tell us about the Philly hoods, have the decency to also mention the 20 or so incredible neighborhoods of Philly that are stable and thriving.

You mention 75,000 person Camden why dont you also mention the other
1,000,000 people that are living very well that live 5 minutes away from Camden in Moorestown,Cherry Hill,Voorhees,Mount Holly, Haddonfield?

Last edited by Waterlily; 11-03-2007 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: no flames

Old 11-02-2007, 08:24 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,002,908 times
Miami, Florida

Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,359,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You are are so out of it- it boggles the mind how someone can be so uneducated sitting in front of a computer.
Quote:
You need to educate yourself before you go spouting off about places you know nothing about.If you want to keep making a fool of yourself keep typing away dude.
Reading, researching and visiting takes waaaay too much time. It's much easier to just spit out flaming invective.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,877,032 times
Detroit doesn't sprawl that much. You need to visit Chicagoland.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:16 PM

595 posts, read 595,061 times
Toledo, OH.

Classless, cultureless, clueless.

1. The city is cultureless. The McDonald's in Downtown closes at 5pm. The Art Museum and Zoo are actually rather nice; but there is NOTHING else going on. There is no culture, a city with no identity. The city is in close proximity to Detroit and Cleveland and imports it's customs and cultures from these failing cities.

2. Service Industry is the bulk of the economy. Unemployment is very high, and wages are low. The class dispairity is extremely high. No job growth, large percentage of 20-somethings leave city with no new residents coming in. Metropolitan growth is nil even with large birth/death ratio in favor of births.

3. High percentage of poverty (high Service Industry workforce), cost of living is low compared to national median but relatively high in terms of comparable cities.

4. Poor Public Transit serves very small % of the city with very infrequent trips or stops.

5. Very negative mindset of citizens and large racial tension. See 2005 Riots...

6. Downtown Toledo has a few decent looking buildings, but with an extremely HIGH vacancy rate and very LITTLE nightlife, especially compared to similarly sized cities.

7. No topography, surrounded by farmland and other rust belt cities. A speed bump can be considered a hill. River is extremely under-utilized for recreation. Very little outdoor life compared to similarly sized cities.

8. Pollution, Oil Refineries & Litter. River is too polluted for most recreational use until further outside of the city where the river loses much promience. The city was built 4 miles inland from the lake, not directly on the lake. Most lakefront is private property and most public property is polluted and water recreation very limited.

9. Weather - Hot/Humid summers, very cold winters. Since it's near the lake, during the winter the temperature variation between night/day is very little, with temperatures below 35 F for months at a time.

10. Worst of all - the future. There is not sufficient movement in the city to reverse many of its downward trends. While some exists, it is not on a large enough scale to bring forth any large scale gentrification or to compete with any similar cities.

The direction the city is heading, it will take decades for it to reverse its trends. It would require drastic measures to reverse its direction. While there is some efforts aimed to improve the forecast and those who can point out the good things about the city, the reality is they're not enough, and don't match the efforts taken by other cities.

There is nothing special about it, nothing positive to mention, nothing putting it on the map at all. For a city of over a half million residence in it's urban area to have no soul, no identity, and nothing to cling to for a turn-around, it will continue to crumble until it can accomplish something on a grander scale. Today's kids have never heard of Maxwell Klinger.

I have never been to a more depressing place, other than maybe Steubenville, Ohio.

Last edited by lprmesia; 12-19-2009 at 08:27 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 08:30 PM

316 posts, read 652,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Miami is a very racist place, both for Blacks and Whites.The Latins there have a distinctively rude attitude that does not exist in any other latin community I have been in. Interestingly enough, the Latino community where I live is very well educated, classy, and usually friendly, and were talking a half an hour away.IT seems more like a half a world away. I mean dont get me wrong, I love living in South Florida, it is really just LIVING in MIAMI that is hell.
I agree, I dont live in Miami but I have been down there about 20 times.. The people there are rude and look at people like they are crazy! as if they do not belong there! I am black too by the way.. I have been to many border towns in Texas near Mexico and the Hispanics there are friendly and they will treat you like you are one of them! but that is complete opposite in Miami! and thats why AMERICANS who live in South Florida generally live in West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.