U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,853,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you may be confusing the Bangladeshis with the Indians. I know they are one of the darkest races on Earth.
bengalis are dark, but trust me there are indians that are burnt black cripsy lol.

trust me we have a lot of indians and Bengalis. bengalis tend to have indian skin complexion with a more paki look.

pakistinians are much lighter then both indians and bengalis overall.

but it all depends cause i have recently started seeing many indians who i thought were hispanic when looking at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 01:17 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,964,539 times
Quote:
Its weird, the Ethiopians are black but they have naturally smooth curly hair. That was really odd to me.
As mentioned there's a good deal of diversity among Africans, including among "black Africans." When racial systems were more common the Bushman/Khoisan and Pygmies were counted as separate races from each other and from "Blacks." Some systems I think also counted the people of the Horn of Africa as a separate race from those more to the West. "Ethiopian languages" are a sub-family of Semitic languages. The majority of the other major languages in Ethiopia appear to be Afro-Asiatic rather than say Niger-Congo.

Ethnologue report for Ethiopian
Ethnologue report for Niger-Congo

The people brought to the US as slaves were, I believe, mostly Central and West Africans. I would guess the majority of them spoke a Niger-Congo language or lived in a region where they dominated. East African descended people, like our President, I believe were less common. Ethiopians would have been non-existent or nearly so. Although Russia took some Ethiopian slaves, Pushkin had a slave ancestor, I think there was hope Ethiopia would be a Christian ally against the Islamic world so not so much slave buying so far as I know. (Although the Islamic world took many slaves from Ethiopia and some of those even ended up in India)

Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,415,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
also does anyone know any communities or cities facing a growth of africans, or are these Africans just scattered all over the place?

cause here in nyc the main Africans are Nigerian , and Ghanaian overall.
Minneapolis has become a center for Somali immigration in particular, and MN has the highest percentage of Somali immigrants in the country (many of them living in Minneapolis; there's even a neighborhood with the nickname "Little Mogadishu" now.) There are a number of other African immigrants in the Twin Cities, too, but the Somali immigrants dominate in terms of numbers and visibility.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:16 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,436,454 times
Numbers for other countries :
Numbers for some countries:

Ghana 1991-1999 : 31,268
Ghana 2001-2009 : 58,082
Growth : + 26,814 (+ 86%)

Liberia 1991-1999 : 14,409
Liberia 2001-2009 : 40,368
Growth : + 25,959 (+ 180%)

Morocco 1991-1999 : 16,405
Morocco 2001-2009 : 39,355
Growth : + 22,950 (+ 140%)

Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,167,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
As mentioned there's a good deal of diversity among Africans, including among "black Africans." When racial systems were more common the Bushman/Khoisan and Pygmies were counted as separate races from each other and from "Blacks." Some systems I think also counted the people of the Horn of Africa as a separate race from those more to the West. "Ethiopian languages" are a sub-family of Semitic languages. The majority of the other major languages in Ethiopia appear to be Afro-Asiatic rather than say Niger-Congo.

The people brought to the US as slaves were, I believe, mostly Central and West Africans. I would guess the majority of them spoke a Niger-Congo language or lived in a region where they dominated. East African descended people, like our President, I believe were less common.
Oh yeah, I know about the variety, with a continent as large as Africa you are sure to get variety.

The Caribbean (where I am from) had a lot of variety when the Europeans came. The big islands were mainly the lighter skinned Tainos and the darker skinned Arawaks. The Arawaks kinda looked like dark East Indians, having dark skin but straight hair.
The smaller islands were inhabited by the Caribs (hence the name Caribbean).

The Caribs varied themselves. The red caribs (Dominica, St Lucia, etc) were called Karifuna an the darker caribs were called Garifuna. I am not sure if the yellow caribs had a name or if they were just called Kalinago (the name the caribs called themselves)

I heard somewhere that The Congolese people still don't recognise the pygmies as a human race and the use that to enslave them.

Yeah you are right, during the new world slave trade the majority of the slaves were taken form the Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon area. Sold by other tribes.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:59 PM

56,609 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
also does anyone know any communities or cities facing a growth of africans, or are these Africans just scattered all over the place?

cause here in nyc the main Africans are Nigerian , and Ghanaian overall.
Other cities are: Minneapolis, Washington DC and Boston.....

Old 08-04-2010, 02:07 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,752,701 times
Yeah, I know a hand full of Black-African people around where I live. Including Ethiopians, Nigerians, and Kenyans! All of the Nigerians I know are in college and pursuing engineering degrees and other high paying degrees. They are hardest working ethnic group I have ever seen....

Old 08-05-2010, 01:46 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,853,252 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, I know about the variety, with a continent as large as Africa you are sure to get variety.

The Caribbean (where I am from) had a lot of variety when the Europeans came. The big islands were mainly the lighter skinned Tainos and the darker skinned Arawaks. The Arawaks kinda looked like dark East Indians, having dark skin but straight hair.
The smaller islands were inhabited by the Caribs (hence the name Caribbean).

The Caribs varied themselves. The red caribs (Dominica, St Lucia, etc) were called Karifuna an the darker caribs were called Garifuna. I am not sure if the yellow caribs had a name or if they were just called Kalinago (the name the caribs called themselves)

I heard somewhere that The Congolese people still don't recognise the pygmies as a human race and the use that to enslave them.

Yeah you are right, during the new world slave trade the majority of the slaves were taken form the Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon area. Sold by other tribes.
where in the caribbean you from? my family is from their to

Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,436,454 times
Quote:
In America, data show Nigerians are the most educated immigrants

[SIZE=2] His wife, Shalewa Olowokere, a civil engineer, didn't stop at a bachelor's, either. She went for her master's.

The same obsession with education runs in the Udeh household in Sugar Land. Foluke Udeh and her husband, Nduka, both have master's degrees. Anything less, she reckons, would have amounted to failure.

"If you see an average Nigerian family, everybody has a college degree these days," said Udeh, 32, a physical therapist at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center. "But a post-graduate degree, that's like pride for the family."

Nigerian immigrants have the highest levels of education in this city and the nation, surpassing whites and Asians, according to Census data bolstered by an analysis of 13 annual Houston-area surveys conducted by Rice University.

Although they make up a tiny portion of the U.S. population, a whopping 17 percent of all Nigerians in this country held master's degrees while 4 percent had a doctorate, according to the 2006 American Community Survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau. In addition, 37 percent had bachelor's degrees.
[/SIZE]
News -- In America, data show Nigerians are the most educated immigrants

It's really impressive Nigerians are great !

Old 10-05-2010, 11:36 AM

915 posts, read 1,661,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Minneapolis has become a center for Somali immigration in particular, and MN has the highest percentage of Somali immigrants in the country (many of them living in Minneapolis; there's even a neighborhood with the nickname "Little Mogadishu" now.) There are a number of other African immigrants in the Twin Cities, too, but the Somali immigrants dominate in terms of numbers and visibility.
Most of the Somali population in Minneapolis are refugees not immigrants. There is a difference. Immigrants freely move to a new place, where refugees are place in a location ofter by a church or group. Hmong are refugees and are often called immigrants. The Hmong were placed in the Midwest by the Lutheran Church, that is why their population is large in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or