Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:42 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,209 times

Advertisements

This post is to inform all the people who may currently live in HIGH-COST HOME PURCHASE PRICE areas of the country such as: Nevada, Arizona, California, Florida, Colorado, Connecticut, Long Island, eastern Massachusetts, and other states and cities like: Las Vegas, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Denver, Miami, Washington DC, New York City, Boston, and other cities where home prices make it very difficult or impossible to buy a home in a safe, decent, nice home neighborhood. I make it a point to do extensive research and stay well informed about home buying prices across the country.

I'm writing this to help inform people across the country who are and have experienced VERY HIGH PRICES when they go to look at homes to buy in their current residential locations/cities. This post will be of most interest to those people who may be thinking about or might be interested in relocating to a different part of the country where HOME PRICES ARE STILL very affordable to the average family or single individual. Also where there are good schools and excellent colleges, nice small towns and good sized cities, reasonable prices for and availability of locally grown farm fresh foods, fine quality-of-life aspects, a wide range of recreational opportunities, and a progressive outlook on living and life. Other quality features/aspects=numerous clean water lakes/rivers/streams, forested mountains, beautiful rolling land countryside with its farms and small towns, great expressways and highways for easy travel, good hospitals and medical care, and so many other good quality-of-life attributes.

The State I am talking about is A SECTION of Upstate New York; a section with which I am familiar. Look at a map of New York State and draw a line from approximately just east of metro Binghamton to just south and east of metro Albany to the Massachusetts border. The section of Upstate New York where you can buy new construction single detached homes for $160,000 is the section of New York State which is North and West of the mentioned drawn line on the map of NY. These homes are available to be built, brand-new, just for you, from various quality builders in towns & cities located in the afore mentioned part of NYS. These homes may have smaller square footage living space but usually have 3 or 2 bedrooms, 1-1/2 to 2 bathrooms, livingroom, an eat-in kitchen, garage, and full or partial basement area; this complete home built on a 1/5th to 1/3rd acre single home property=you are not sharing one piece of land with any other home/family. Larger homes with more square footage or larger rooms, more bathrooms, additional rooms, or basements finished as more rooms can be bought at a higher price but that price will still be A WHOLE LOT LOWER than the home prices you find in cities/areas where new home prices are typically $350,000 and ^^HIGHER^^. You can affordably build a very nice, larger square footage, lovely home, in a nice suburb/town/rural/country property for $200,000 to $275,000; the price dependant on the materials, equipment, appliances, finishes, windows/doors, carpet, flooring, etc. YOU SELECT. To sum it up, you can buy/own a brand new smaller "starter" single home in a nice area for $160,000 or a very nice larger home for $200,000-$275,000. I did not mention buying townhomes, condos or patio homes and their prices but there is a whole range of those type of homes too at affordable prices. In any case, homes here are very affordable for you when compared to many other more expensive areas of the country. Home prices in this outlined part of Upstate New York are in the 10 LOWEST SINGLE FAMILY/INDIVIDUAL HOME PRICES in the whole United States.

If you are interested in relocationg to this PART of Upstate New York, you can start your research on the internet to obtain a lot of information. You can internet SEARCH cities such as: Binghamton, Syracuse, Watertown, Albany/Capital district, Rochester, Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Utica/Rome, Elmira/Horseheads/Corning, Canton/Potsdam/Massena, etc. or smaller cities or rural towns/counties. You can get home prices from home builders or real estate companies, check employment opportunities, etc. etc. etc. BE SURE TO DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE MAKING ANY PERMANENT MOVE! Maybe even visit areas/cities you are considering for a relocation.

I know that there are people who have relocated to THIS PART of Upstate New York from more expensive parts of the country. Anyone who has made this move may/can/will tell/write about what you experienced in making your relocation move to here and whether or not you are happy for making this move. Good luck whatever you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:32 PM

93,269 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I've been saying that for a long time and it is true. I think I saw some nice brand new homes in the Northern suburbs of Syracuse for about 160-180k. So, this is true....

Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,209 times
Default $160,000 also $144,000 New Homes--Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I've been saying that for a long time and it is true. I think I saw some nice brand new homes in the Northern suburbs of Syracuse for about 160-180k. So, this is true....
Thanks for your comment. I hope that other people, whether they have purchased a less expensive smaller "starter" home or a larger "upgraded" home, across Upstate New York who live anywhere near Albany, Plattsburgh, Massena, Watertown, Utica, Binghamton, Corning, Syracuse, Oswego, Rochester, Canandaigua, Buffalo, Jamestown, and other areas will also add their comments to this post so people in other parts of the country will have some basic information if they are considering a relocation to this part of the country.

Following are the lowest prices for brand new 3 bdrm. single/detached homes that I've noticed currently (Aug. 4, 2010)=Cicero>Lakeshore Rd. $160,000 -- Whiting Rd. and Cicero Center Rd. $180,000; Clay>Lawton Rd. $160,000; Baldwinsville>Southgate Rd. $130,000 (1400 sq ft w/garage); Minoa area>Forestview Lane $144,000 (1400 sq ft w/2 stall garage). I think that these are great value homes for the prices considering that you'd probably pay $300,000 and ^^higher^^ for the same home in California, Florida, Arizona, Connecticut and some other states. Larger or more upgraded homes are available at higher prices. I was told that some of these homes can be financed at a 5% mortgage rate depending on several factors. I'm in no way involved in the real estate business at all. My reason for giving this information is so people in distant states have a home price basis for reference; that is why I placed this post in the U.S. General category and NOT the New York or any specific City category=the info is for people living in ALL OTHER STATES.

I visited a modular home company who sells/builds modular homes all across Upstate New York this past week and looked at home models, home brochures, prices, etc. These homes are the quality type homes, not some shoddy/inferior built home. And these are not the plain double-wide mobile homes which are usually placed in a mobile home park where you pay a monthly rent for the space your mobile home occupies. As you probably know there is a difference between modular homes and double wide mobile homes and both type homes have their good uses/value/serviceabilities as decent housing for people. I was told that this company would be able to do a complete one story 3 bdrm., 2 bath, kitchen, diningroom, livingroom, separate foyer, washer/dryer/utility room, full basement modular home and fully construct/place/build the home on land that I already own for a full cost of $140,000; I believe that is reasonable. A modular type home is fully built when delivered to you and can be placed on just about any land that you own=on a lakeshore, in the mountains, on a rural countryside lot, in suburbs, etc. A relative of mine is having a modular home placed/constructed on forested acerage in the high hills above a small sized city near the Mohawk River Valley. Buying/doing a modular home project is one additional choice people have when considering their housing possibilities.

I'd like to hear about other peoples experiences/stories/thoughts as to what they know about home availability, home sizes, home prices, etc. near other areas/towns/cities/etc. across Upstate New York. Anybody in Northern New York, the Southern Tier, the Finger Lakes, the Capital District, or Western New York care to comment on this subject and relate the information you have experienced? Your experience is of interest.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:28 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
You can get a brand new home with an in-ground pool on a 1/2 acre for $160,000 where I am.
There are 3 bedroom, 2 bath homes with attached 2 car garages with about 1800-2000 sq ft living area.

I am sure the same is true in many other states and areas.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
You can get a brand new home with an in-ground pool on a 1/2 acre for $160,000 where I am.
There are 3 bedroom, 2 bath homes with attached 2 car garages with about 1800-2000 sq ft living area.

I am sure the same is true in many other states and areas.
Is that now or before the alleged housing bust there?

Old 08-04-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Is that now or before the alleged housing bust there?
I was speaking of the present time just as the OP was.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:52 AM

grdnrman, don't forget that foreclosure rates in the major area in Upstate NY are very low out of the top 100 metros in the US, with the Syracuse metro being #1 as recent as late 2009.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,603 times
There plenty of areas in the country where you can get a decent home for that money. There's probably only a few where you can't. The taxes and bad weather IN MY OPINION do not make getting a cookie cutter 3/2 in a subdivision for $160000 worth it. Yes the home prices are low but don't forget to throw in the $500 a month (min can be a lot higher) in property taxes.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
There plenty of areas in the country where you can get a decent home for that money. There's probably only a few where you can't. The taxes and bad weather IN MY OPINION do not make getting a cookie cutter 3/2 in a subdivision for $160000 worth it. Yes the home prices are low but don't forget to throw in the $500 a month (min can be a lot higher) in property taxes.
Didn't realize it was that high up there in Upstate NY.
Down here after homestead exemption you would pay around $1800 a year for a house of that value.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Quote:
grdnrman, don't forget that foreclosure rates in the major area in Upstate NY are very low out of the top 100 metros in the US, with the Syracuse metro being #1 as recent as late 2009.

Yeah, the lower priced houses/condos in Florida are in foreclosure and probably not nearly the condition of a brand new house in upstate NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.