Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
You can get a brand new home with an in-ground pool on a 1/2 acre for $160,000 where I am.
There are 3 bedroom, 2 bath homes with attached 2 car garages with about 1800-2000 sq ft living area.

I am sure the same is true in many other states and areas.
I'm glad that you do like the area where you live; that's all that matters, that you are happy/satisfied.

The differences between the county where I live and the county where you live are considerable. My county has a population of about 458,336 and your county has a population of about 171,233. My county has a population 2.66 times larger than yours, which usually means that home prices should be HIGHER where the population is larger; other factors being equal. That is not the case. The suburban new home prices here are either EQUAL TO or LOWER THAN your new home prices. Our new homes all have basements (extra space) which can be finished as additional rooms=media room, "man cave" room, game room, extra bathroom, extra bedroom, whatever. I believe that your home is probably built on a cement slab=not providing you extra space. All our new homes are built with one, two, or three stall garages depending on the home a person selects.

All the new homes here, that I will be talking about are single/detached homes=NOT multiple units nor several attached units. You mentioned a new home in your area with an in-ground pool on a half acre for $160,000; I assume that a garage is included in that price? You can buy a 3 bdrm, eat-in kitchen, livingroom, 1-1/2 to 2 bathroom, w/garage, with basement and add an in-ground pool on 1/4 acre in one of our westside suburbs for a total price of $150,000 to $160,000=quite a reasonable price for a new home in a suburb near a city the size of Syracuse. New homes here with 2000 sq ft with 3 bdrms, kitchen, separate diningroom, livingroom, 2-1/2 bathrms, basement, 2 stall garage on 1/4 to 1/3 acre are available for between $185,000 to $225,000 & up=depending on which suburb you build the home, the style of home, the finishes you select, appliances you select, other features, etc. The more features, etc. you add to a new home increases a home price no matter what city/state you build it. Proven National surveys of home prices for ALL METRO AREAS across the U.S., show that Syracuse & suburbs is the 9th lowest home price metro area in the whole country. That's a pretty good fact.

I did some research on the internet which is distributed by your county where your town--Weeki Wachee is located; that is Hernando County. This is the information your Hernando County provided which I guess is from their records. The AVERAGE detached new home price in your county is $328,425 (that average price is HIGHER than the Syracuse suburban new home price); New townhouses & other attached (not detached/single homes) are $135,705; 3 to 4 attached units (not detached/single homes) are $144,615; 5 and more attached (not detached/single homes) are $147,818; Mobile homes are $45,702. I think comparing my area DETACHED new home prices to your AVERAGE DETACHED new home price of $328,425 supports/shows the great value, very affordable homes here at Syracuse Suburbs that people in other parts of the country don't have available to them.

Something that our builders, banks, & mortgage companies DID NOT DO across our whole Upstate New York region=Albany to Syracuse to Buffalo & Binghamton north to the Canadian border (excluding Long Island, NY City, & lower Hudson Valley=I don't know the situation in those areas) was, we did not over-build, speculative-build more homes than could be sold and we did not sell homes to people who would not/did not qualify for the home price involved. We all know about the speculative building that went on in states like Nevada, Arizona, Florida, California, etc. and the subsequent defaults, foreclosures, and the deflation of home prices, many times making a persons home WORTH LESS THAN what they owed on their mortgage. In some states there have been whole streets where 20 or 30 homes on one street or in one small development have been foreclosed on. There was a program on TV showing a development in Florida which had basically been abandoned by the builder. The development had a series of deserted streets and one single house here and there but for the most part that development had mostly empty lots with uncut weeds and grass growing on the lots and even up through the paved streets. I feel sorry for the few people who did buy/occupy the few new homes that had been built but THEIR home value must have fallen from what they originally paid. The housing market and prices here in Syracuse suburbs is/has been stable because our builders/banks DID NOT go "hog wild" and foolishly over-build/speculate and DID NOT sell new homes to unqualified buyers.

The things we DON'T have here are: the tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, overwhelming floods, poisonous snakes, constant bugs (if you don't spray around other states homes), lack/shortage of good clean water supply, unending 100 degree temperatures for weeks or months on end. No, I don't live in Utopia, but my city/state have a lot of qualities to offer and there are very few other states/places I'd consider moving to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Heck,

You can get a nice brick veneer 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage, new construction on a 100x100 lot in Branson for around $80,000.

No, really.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
I'm glad that you do like the area where you live; that's all that matters, that you are happy/satisfied.

The differences between the county where I live and the county where you live are considerable. My county has a population of about 458,336 and your county has a population of about 171,233. My county has a population 2.66 times larger than yours, which usually means that home prices should be HIGHER where the population is larger; other factors being equal. That is not the case. The suburban new home prices here are either EQUAL TO or LOWER THAN your new home prices. Our new homes all have basements (extra space) which can be finished as additional rooms=media room, "man cave" room, game room, extra bathroom, extra bedroom, whatever. I believe that your home is probably built on a cement slab=not providing you extra space. All our new homes are built with one, two, or three stall garages depending on the home a person selects.

All the new homes here, that I will be talking about are single/detached homes=NOT multiple units nor several attached units. You mentioned a new home in your area with an in-ground pool on a half acre for $160,000; I assume that a garage is included in that price? You can buy a 3 bdrm, eat-in kitchen, livingroom, 1-1/2 to 2 bathroom, w/garage, with basement and add an in-ground pool on 1/4 acre in one of our westside suburbs for a total price of $150,000 to $160,000=quite a reasonable price for a new home in a suburb near a city the size of Syracuse. New homes here with 2000 sq ft with 3 bdrms, kitchen, separate diningroom, livingroom, 2-1/2 bathrms, basement, 2 stall garage on 1/4 to 1/3 acre are available for between $185,000 to $225,000 & up=depending on which suburb you build the home, the style of home, the finishes you select, appliances you select, other features, etc. The more features, etc. you add to a new home increases a home price no matter what city/state you build it. Proven National surveys of home prices for ALL METRO AREAS across the U.S., show that Syracuse & suburbs is the 9th lowest home price metro area in the whole country. That's a pretty good fact.

I did some research on the internet which is distributed by your county where your town--Weeki Wachee is located; that is Hernando County. This is the information your Hernando County provided which I guess is from their records. The AVERAGE detached new home price in your county is $328,425 (that average price is HIGHER than the Syracuse suburban new home price); New townhouses & other attached (not detached/single homes) are $135,705; 3 to 4 attached units (not detached/single homes) are $144,615; 5 and more attached (not detached/single homes) are $147,818; Mobile homes are $45,702. I think comparing my area DETACHED new home prices to your AVERAGE DETACHED new home price of $328,425 supports/shows the great value, very affordable homes here at Syracuse Suburbs that people in other parts of the country don't have available to them.

Something that our builders, banks, & mortgage companies DID NOT DO across our whole Upstate New York region=Albany to Syracuse to Buffalo & Binghamton north to the Canadian border (excluding Long Island, NY City, & lower Hudson Valley=I don't know the situation in those areas) was, we did not over-build, speculative-build more homes than could be sold and we did not sell homes to people who would not/did not qualify for the home price involved. We all know about the speculative building that went on in states like Nevada, Arizona, Florida, California, etc. and the subsequent defaults, foreclosures, and the deflation of home prices, many times making a persons home WORTH LESS THAN what they owed on their mortgage. In some states there have been whole streets where 20 or 30 homes on one street or in one small development have been foreclosed on. There was a program on TV showing a development in Florida which had basically been abandoned by the builder. The development had a series of deserted streets and one single house here and there but for the most part that development had mostly empty lots with uncut weeds and grass growing on the lots and even up through the paved streets. I feel sorry for the few people who did buy/occupy the few new homes that had been built but THEIR home value must have fallen from what they originally paid. The housing market and prices here in Syracuse suburbs is/has been stable because our builders/banks DID NOT go "hog wild" and foolishly over-build/speculate and DID NOT sell new homes to unqualified buyers.

The things we DON'T have here are: the tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, overwhelming floods, poisonous snakes, constant bugs (if you don't spray around other states homes), lack/shortage of good clean water supply, unending 100 degree temperatures for weeks or months on end. No, I don't live in Utopia, but my city/state have a lot of qualities to offer and there are very few other states/places I'd consider moving to.
Your area also has lower unemployment rate and that is certainly a key factor. No matter how reasonable the housing may be, if you cannot find a job that will pay that mortgage, it is all moot.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:14 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Yeah, the lower priced houses/condos in Florida are in foreclosure and probably not nearly the condition of a brand new house in upstate NY.
I do believe I said "You can get a brand new home with an in-ground pool on a 1/2 acre for $160,000 where I am."

Is there a difference in the meaning of "brand new" between NY and FL?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Didn't realize it was that high up there in Upstate NY.
Down here after homestead exemption you would pay around $1800 a year for a house of that value.
Taxes depend on where you live in NY State. Here's an example of what the taxes area like and keep in mind that some costs in terms of other things might be higher than what we pay here in NY: Tax Rates (http://php.democratandchronicle.com/tax_rates/ - broken link) That is for the county I live in for homes of that price.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Great information and you just happen to live in the fastest growing town in Onondaga County too.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Heck,

You can get a nice brick veneer 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage, new construction on a 100x100 lot in Branson for around $80,000.

No, really.

20yrsinBranson
You could probably get similar homes that are a bit older in the area at close to that price. You can check here: #1 Syracuse NY Real Estate Website | Homes for Sale | Realtor | cnyrealtor.com

Old 08-05-2010, 01:59 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Default Not sure where you live but---

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
There plenty of areas in the country where you can get a decent home for that money. There's probably only a few where you can't. The taxes and bad weather IN MY OPINION do not make getting a cookie cutter 3/2 in a subdivision for $160000 worth it. Yes the home prices are low but don't forget to throw in the $500 a month (min can be a lot higher) in property taxes.
Look at the National figures. Syracuse & suburbs is rated in the 10 LOWEST HOME PRICE major metro areas of the whole country! Binghamton, Buffalo, Utica/Rome, Rochester, Watertown also have reasonable home prices compared to most of the rest of the country. Can't fight the surveyed figures; they're real!

I'm not sure where you live but the homes in my suburb and most Syracuse Suburbs have a whole wide mix of sizes, styles, different colored exteriors, varied features so I don't consider Syracuse Suburbs as cookie-cutter. You want to see cookie-cutter? Look at developments in California or Nevada, or Arizonia where EVERY HOUSE looks EXACTLY ALIKE. Make sure you look at the house number or you'll be walking into your neighbor's house.

I challenge you to buy a decent, NEW HOME in a >>SAFE LOW CRIME<< neighborhood in Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, Miami, Anchorage, Naples FL, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Boston, Hartford, Sacramento, Colorado Springs, Washington DC, Fort Collins, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Long Island, -- I'll stop so this list doesn't become unending -- for the mentioned $160,000 of the same quality as Syracuse Suburban homes. Unless you are trying to kid yourself or the rest of us, you can't do it! We're talking about the major metro areas of the country not places like Mississippi or remote low population areas where the pay scale is very low or minimum wage.

Don't mention bad weather and other bad conditions which can affect/destroy your home and make you stay in air conditioned buildings & vehicles for months on end unless you are referring to Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, and other states with these problems=100+ degree temperatures weeks on end, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, frequent hail storms, wildfires, drought, etc. If by bad weather you mean that Syracuse/Suburbs have snowfall; yup!, we have that and when the snow melts it supplies/feeds our numerous lakes, rivers, & streams=I bet states like California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, maybe even Florida & Georgia, northern plains and other states that frequently experience droughts, wish they had OUR water resources! I'll take the snow. You can have the tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, wildfires, incessent hot temperatures, frequent hail storms, etc. that your inferred "grass-is-greener" outlook seems to say about all those other states who have worse weather/aspects.

As for taxes. Yup. Nobody seems to want to pay them. I realize that everything should be FREE/NO COST to anyone. Unfortunately paved roads, schools, police, sewer systems, clean water supply, etc, etc, etc, all cost money. As for myself, because I don't have children maybe I shouldn't have to pay ANY school taxes, also I'd rather that our country would STOP having wars and wasting billions of dollars on bombs & bullets, and I'd prefer that NONE of my tax money could/would be used to bail out the greedy bankers & wall street companies who used their firms as CASINOS while paying themselves millions of dollars as salary & bonuses at the same time their companies were going bankrupt. Sorry, such is life. There's two things you can count on=taxes & death. Let me know if you find any legal/sure way to avoid either of these.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:

I don't see what population has to do with this at all but some would rather be in a less densely populated area anyway. And no, densely populated does not always mean prices should be higher, I am sure I could find areas that are more populated than your county with lower prices.

In your first post you mentioned $160K for the home without a pool but now you can get it for $150-$160K with a pool? I am confused
And the ones I mentioned with a pool for $160K are similar in size to the ones you say are $185-$225K.

Do you have any link to this information because I don't see how new home prices here average $328,425?

Something that our builders, banks, & mortgage companies DID NOT DO across our whole Upstate New York region=Albany to Syracuse to Buffalo & Binghamton north to the Canadian border (excluding Long Island, NY City, & lower Hudson Valley=I don't know the situation in those areas) was, we did not over-build, speculative-build more homes than could be sold

The demand has to be there so this is really a non issue.

and we did not sell homes to people who would not/did not qualify for the home price involved.

AYFKM? Florida may be one of the higher foreclosure states but don't fool yourself into thinking you are encapsulated from the housing mess. According to this map some areas there were quite high with foreclosures.
Onondaga County Foreclosure Statistics, Trends and Heat Map | RealtyTrac

We all know about the speculative building that went on in states like Nevada, Arizona, Florida, California, etc. and the subsequent defaults, foreclosures, and the deflation of home prices, many times making a persons home WORTH LESS THAN what they owed on their mortgage. In some states there have been whole streets where 20 or 30 homes on one street or in one small development have been foreclosed on. There was a program on TV showing a development in Florida which had basically been abandoned by the builder. The development had a series of deserted streets and one single house here and there but for the most part that development had mostly empty lots with uncut weeds and grass growing on the lots and even up through the paved streets. I feel sorry for the few people who did buy/occupy the few new homes that had been built but THEIR home value must have fallen from what they originally paid. The housing market and prices here in Syracuse suburbs is/has been stable because our builders/banks DID NOT go "hog wild" and foolishly over-build/speculate and DID NOT sell new homes to unqualified buyers.

Nope, Syracuse doesn't get blizzards, ice storms, or any other natural weather phenomenon going on. No wildlife either.

I have never dealt with a tornado, hurricanes near me are no stronger than heavy thunderstorms you would get, never flooded, don't have bugs in my house and I only spray my house, my well water is near perfect and my county has never had a 100 degree day. Any other eaggerations you would like to add?
filler

Old 08-05-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Taxes depend on where you live in NY State. Here's an example of what the taxes area like and keep in mind that some costs in terms of other things might be higher than what we pay here in NY: Tax Rates (http://php.democratandchronicle.com/tax_rates/ - broken link) That is for the county I live in for homes of that price.
It looks like for the county the OP is speaking of the taxes would be at least double if not triple what they are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.