U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 02:22 PM

8,816 posts, read 10,722,515 times

Advertisements

Or does the "young" in young urban professional kill that idea?

Even if the said empty nester used to be a yuppie, back when being a yuppie was cool, and actually meant something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 04:30 PM

56,737 posts, read 81,061,259 times
I think age plays a part, but an empty nester could still be hip to the new things and trends. So, maybe the empty nester could be a hipster.

By the way, maybe you should look at the Center Square neighborhood in Albany if you are looking for that type of neighborhood in an area you had an interest in on this forum.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think age plays a part, but an empty nester could still be hip to the new things and trends. So, maybe the empty nester could be a hipster.

By the way, maybe you should look at the Center Square neighborhood in Albany if you are looking for that type of neighborhood in an area you had an interest in on this forum.
I am not planning on moving to the capital region anytime soon. I need to stay close to greater Washington. My interest in the NY Capital district is entirely related to my progeny's going to school in Troy.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,827 posts, read 33,239,916 times
When the nest is empty, the couple could become DINKs.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:08 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,998,763 times
I have never associated the term "Yuppie" with families. Rather, with lifestyle, which includes middle-America and up, with "more" all-around than they need or even afford. This criteria in my mind doesn't need to include kids.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:27 AM

I wasn't thinking so much of the lack of kids but the age. Empty nesting being relevant as empty nesters often move back to the city after living in the suburbs, while folks that old who still have kids at home seldom do.

And I do not think of Yuppies as having MORE than non-yuppies of same social class/income, but of having different - back in the 1980s when the term arose, it meant an urban lifestyle instead of suburban, spending on wine instead of scotch, modern furniture instead of traditional, a condo instead of a suburban house, a small but luxury car instead of a big car, etc, etc.

Some of the Yuppie consumer items are no longer cutting edge. In the cities naturally Yuppie became a synonym for rich, because they had more money than anyone else living downtown, except for somewhere like NY that had retained an elite, and in NY it became something of a synonym for upper middle class.

But a true yuppie, who would never be caught dead in a McMansion should not be defined by excess consumption.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,492,836 times
There is a reason for the term Empty Nester, which is that it describes a phenomenon not captured by other terms. So no, you cannot call an Empty Nester a Yuppie. If they were the latter, they would not be the former.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:16 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,998,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I wasn't thinking so much of the lack of kids but the age. Empty nesting being relevant as empty nesters often move back to the city after living in the suburbs, while folks that old who still have kids at home seldom do.

And I do not think of Yuppies as having MORE than non-yuppies of same social class/income, but of having different - back in the 1980s when the term arose, it meant an urban lifestyle instead of suburban, spending on wine instead of scotch, modern furniture instead of traditional, a condo instead of a suburban house, a small but luxury car instead of a big car, etc, etc.

Some of the Yuppie consumer items are no longer cutting edge. In the cities naturally Yuppie became a synonym for rich, because they had more money than anyone else living downtown, except for somewhere like NY that had retained an elite, and in NY it became something of a synonym for upper middle class.

But a true yuppie, who would never be caught dead in a McMansion should not be defined by excess consumption.
"Yuppie" must be termed differently by region, then.

Here (PNW), it's always applied to suburbanites as well as urbanites (if not more so), and SUVs have always been the vehicle mostly associated with it (hybrids, too). And many of them DO live in McMansions as well as condos. Whether or not they've had more "money". . . well, I've always questioned it.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
"Yuppie" must be termed differently by region, then.

Here (PNW), it's always applied to suburbanites as well as urbanites (if not more so), and SUVs have always been the vehicle mostly associated with it (hybrids, too). And many of them DO live in McMansions as well as condos. Whether or not they've had more "money". . . well, I've always questioned it.

Young Urban Professional. Back when it used to mean something, in the 1980s. When we were Young (and urban and professional)

There were attempt to discuss young suburban professionals, and to call it "young upwardly mobile professionals" (though many weren't that upperwardly mobile). I think the misuse of the term is more generational than regional, though there may be some of that.

To get back on topic - if you are, you know 50 (which means you WERE young when to be yuppie was to be young and urban) and BECAUSE you are an empty nester, you can move back to the city, to walk to lattes and vegan cafes and wine bars, MAYBE to drive a prius but also to take the metro, and to put SUV/McMansion land far behind you, like waking from a bad dream, are you still NOT a yuppie BECAUSE you are not YOUNG.

That is the question I pose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.