U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:15 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,346,515 times

Advertisements

Washington is terrible. But Baltimore? Nowhere near as bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 06:29 PM

529 posts, read 1,025,594 times
to the OP: i suggest reconsidering NYC - your commute may not be so bad, depending on your route. For example: taking a train may be longer than driving, but hey! you get to be on a train. You're therefore free to sleep, read, etc. instead of being a robot behind a wheel. Just don't commute from one side of manhattan to another. A 20-mile trip from jersey to long island can take you the better part of 3 hours LOL

but DC sucks. it absolutely sucks with traffic.
I have a reverse commute (Falls Church --> Stafford) on the second shift......and while getting home is a piece of cake (45 mins), getting TO work can be up to 2.5 hours on 95. and no, VRE/metro isn't an option.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 PM

7,775 posts, read 6,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Washington is terrible. But Baltimore? Nowhere near as bad.
I dont know if that statement is completely true. Baltimore traffic is A LOT worse than it was before, up %12 from last year. You will notice the differece. I live in Owings Mills, one day i had to go downtown, and it took 2hours to get there, on a saturday. 695 during rush-hour is crazy, not as bad as DC, but still crazy. Even the traffic downtown at night is getting worse....You cant tell me the Baltimore area isnt growing.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,124,148 times
St. Louis tends to have a rather short rush hour and little traffic most of the time. The only exceptions tend to involve river crossings and construction due to bottlenecks. Though with the former it has been lessened greatly and only is a problem going from Illinois to Downtown due to shoving 3/4 interstates on one bridge.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:41 AM

69 posts, read 169,997 times
So there is really no city left to commute to work with your car? Is it the same with smaller cities like Madison, WI or Fargo, ND?

I don't live in US, I was just wondering if I lived in America which city would I move to so I could drive to work instead of using public transportation but looks like that dream is over. Spending 2h on a one way trip to work in not my thing. Does the government work to solve these problems or are they just going to let people suffocate with traffic?

I'm still eager to hear more of your experiences in different cities.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,346,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
I dont know if that statement is completely true. Baltimore traffic is A LOT worse than it was before, up %12 from last year. You will notice the differece. I live in Owings Mills, one day i had to go downtown, and it took 2hours to get there, on a saturday. 695 during rush-hour is crazy, not as bad as DC, but still crazy. Even the traffic downtown at night is getting worse....You cant tell me the Baltimore area isnt growing.
I didn't say Baltimore doesn't have bad traffic! But i can guarantee you if you began communing from Owings Mills to DC, youd be kicking yourself that you weren't commuting to Baltimore anymore!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:09 AM

531 posts, read 820,425 times
Each city is different, and it all depends on where you plan on living and where you work. You have to learn the traffic patterns. Go against the traffic patterns and you'll more than likely be ok. For example, DC (where I live) is right up there with NY and LA for the worst traffic in the country (it's a pretty unique situation with the vast majority of its population living in the burbs and a lack of major entry points into the city). However, you can beat it. If you have a reverse commute (live closer to the city and work in the burbs) then you'll probably be ok (the previous poster might be getting hosed with his second shift forcing it into not truly being a reverse commute). Also, if you can work at times outside of rush hour you'll probably be ok. My brother used to live with me in Centreville VA (about 20 miles W of DC) and worked in SE DC. This necessitated driving with traffic on 66, 495, and 295 - 3 absolutely terrible roads for rush hour traffic. So he worked out a situation where he would leave our place at 6:15, get to work by 7, leave work by 3:45, and get home around 4:45. Our rush hour is roughly 7-930 and 4-7, so he figured out a way to beat the traffic pattern.

If you go to smaller cities, you will not likely encounter much difficulty with traffic (though this does depend on your background). I used to have to work in WI a fair amount and I can tell you that Milwaukee's rush hour is not bad at all. Pittsburgh's isn't too bad either, St. Louis seemed fine, Albuquerque doesn't have much, and Harrisburg is basically non-existant. Austin is getting some traffic due to its expansion but still has many routes that aren't too bad (compared to DC anyway). FWIW, Chicago's rush hour is much better than DC's as well (though it can still be a little rough).

What you need to do is to get information from locals, and get specifics. Everyone's going to say that the traffic sucks because everyone hates traffic. Just like almost everyone thinks that they're not paid enough, etc. What you need to do is find out where they're commuting from, to, what time of day, and get specific numbers and then make your own judgment.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:35 AM

22,349 posts, read 32,269,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowitout View Post
So there is really no city left to commute to work with your car? Is it the same with smaller cities like Madison, WI or Fargo, ND?

I don't live in US, I was just wondering if I lived in America which city would I move to so I could drive to work instead of using public transportation but looks like that dream is over. Spending 2h on a one way trip to work in not my thing. Does the government work to solve these problems or are they just going to let people suffocate with traffic?

It really depends, all large cities have major traffic issues but also many have some roads better than others. the other thing is you can always live close to work etc. many people do and have short commutes

Old 08-04-2010, 12:01 PM

7,775 posts, read 6,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I didn't say Baltimore doesn't have bad traffic! But i can guarantee you if you began communing from Owings Mills to DC, youd be kicking yourself that you weren't commuting to Baltimore anymore!
I kick myself everytime I have to drive thru DC on my way to NC, or to Herndon, VA. There have been times when going thru DC has taken 4hrs.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,124,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowitout View Post

There are few cities that it would take 2 hours on a one way trip to work and those are outliers. The main reason anyone would have that is they are commuting 100 miles or so each way so it is often done by choice.

Also note that in terms of traffic most places tend to have specific areas and times where traffic is bad. So having a commute that avoids those areas (or going opposite way) or at a different time the traffic is mostly relieved.

Another factor is more places are being less centralized as to where the workplaces are, meaning it isn't all commutes going to one particular area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.