U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:09 PM

12,291 posts, read 15,184,803 times

Advertisements

From Chicago suburbs such as Lake Villa or Fox Lake, 50 miles out, it's $178.30 a month and takes an hour and 20 minutes each way. What would it cost to drive? Over $250 a month for gas and tolls alone, plus possibly a similar amount for parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 05:22 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
From Chicago suburbs such as Lake Villa or Fox Lake, 50 miles out, it's $178.30 a month and takes an hour and 20 minutes each way. What would it cost to drive? Over $250 a month for gas and tolls alone, plus possibly a similar amount for parking.
Well it would take longer than an hour and 20 I'm thinking during rush hour.

The big thing I didn't think about until I moved here was how nice it is to do work, read, listen to music or sleep when you're on the trains. You don't have to think or pay attention to the road.

I take the subway downtown each day, which is a little more stressful as it's packed full of people and I very rarely would ever get a seat. I actually enjoy it though for some reason. I just cruise everyone else on the train and mostly read my book. If I'm not up for reading I throw on the Ipod. It's only 25 minutes on the train anyway.

I think I only know one person who drives to work since most everyone I know works downtown. That person has to drive cause they live in the city and work in the burbs. It's around 15 miles and takes him about an hour. He HATES the drive. he drives side streets since the expressways are normally well over an hour to go what you could in 15-20 minutes without traffic.

Chicago traffic SUCKS, but normally the only people who drive are those who work in the suburbs and live in the suburbs, or those who live in the city and work in the suburbs. Hence our roads aren't big at all for an area of 10 million. A million or so take trains and buses.

What's the average drive if you say work in Dallas or Houston or Atlanta? Do people normally live near their job, or do people actually live 50-70 miles away on the other side of the metro?? I can't imagine in Chicago living in the southeast suburbs and driving over 100 miles to the northwest suburbs. It would take half the day!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:11 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,116,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well it would take longer than an hour and 20 I'm thinking during rush hour.

The big thing I didn't think about until I moved here was how nice it is to do work, read, listen to music or sleep when you're on the trains. You don't have to think or pay attention to the road.

I take the subway downtown each day, which is a little more stressful as it's packed full of people and I very rarely would ever get a seat. I actually enjoy it though for some reason. I just cruise everyone else on the train and mostly read my book. If I'm not up for reading I throw on the Ipod. It's only 25 minutes on the train anyway.

I think I only know one person who drives to work since most everyone I know works downtown. That person has to drive cause they live in the city and work in the burbs. It's around 15 miles and takes him about an hour. He HATES the drive. he drives side streets since the expressways are normally well over an hour to go what you could in 15-20 minutes without traffic.

Chicago traffic SUCKS, but normally the only people who drive are those who work in the suburbs and live in the suburbs, or those who live in the city and work in the suburbs. Hence our roads aren't big at all for an area of 10 million. A million or so take trains and buses.

What's the average drive if you say work in Dallas or Houston or Atlanta? Do people normally live near their job, or do people actually live 50-70 miles away on the other side of the metro?? I can't imagine in Chicago living in the southeast suburbs and driving over 100 miles to the northwest suburbs. It would take half the day!
Well from what I have seen with Atlanta is that the housing and the workplaces are skewed in the same direction so there isn't much commuting going to the opposite side of the metro. The biggest problem is trying to go East-West directions across the Northern Suburbs. These same suburbs do have a number of employment hubs so many can have very short commutes. (also places near there are being redeveloped denser)

Old 08-05-2010, 04:17 PM

311 posts, read 692,617 times
I actually have a nice drive in Houston (while I'm here). Could be that I leave for work at 6:30 am, get home by 4, and have a 6 mile commute though .

Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 PM

1,729 posts, read 3,990,590 times
Seattle is certainly one of the worst. I mean seriously. How many cities the size of Seattle have its main freeway of only two lanes (northbound) right through downtown?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:06 PM

2,369 posts, read 7,758,843 times
Los Angeles gets a bad rap for traffic, and it certainly is very heavy and bad in many places. Consider this, yesterday I had to take a work related trip from Southern Orange County to Downtown LA.

A co-worker and I departed the office at about 8:30 am, which is just past the peak rush hour. We took I-405 north through OC past Long Beach, and then I-110 Harbor Freeway into downtown LA. Travel time including a few miles of surface streets from office to freeway, and getting off the freeway in downtown LA to our destination for the 50+ mile trip was about 60 minutes. We used carpool lanes the entire route and rarely had to tap the brakes or slow down below 60 mph while on the freeways. Granted, that was in the carpool lanes, but the entire route we traveled has four or more lanes for regular traffic plus one or two carpool lanes, and was moving along pretty well.

The one advantage of LA over other areas with regards to traffic is that there are usually two, three or more ways to get from A to B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.