U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 PM
 
36 posts, read 103,719 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

Hi there. Come here to get some serious help from different perspectives. Im from Philly. I work on BMW's and couldnt imagine doing anything else. I went to BMW school in Orlando and loved it. When I was finished I ended up working for a dealer just outside of Boston. My parents were living near the dealer so I felt it would be a good place to get my feet on the ground.Now that I have alot of experience I feel that its time to move on. Things are slow at the dealer and I do not like standing around all winter with very little work. I loved that housing was so cheap in Orlando. Up here even with the way the economy is renting is still very expensive.One of my best friends at work left and went to Houston,and is doing very well for himself.He keeps telling me how busy they are and how cheap houses are. Im looking for warmer weather and cheaper housing basically but am so unsure of where to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,150 posts, read 9,934,593 times
Reputation: 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamix068 View Post
Hi there. Come here to get some serious help from different perspectives. Im from Philly. I work on BMW's and couldnt imagine doing anything else. I went to BMW school in Orlando and loved it. When I was finished I ended up working for a dealer just outside of Boston. My parents were living near the dealer so I felt it would be a good place to get my feet on the ground.Now that I have alot of experience I feel that its time to move on. Things are slow at the dealer and I do not like standing around all winter with very little work. I loved that housing was so cheap in Orlando. Up here even with the way the economy is renting is still very expensive.One of my best friends at work left and went to Houston,and is doing very well for himself.He keeps telling me how busy they are and how cheap houses are. Im looking for warmer weather and cheaper housing basically but am so unsure of where to go.
Megamix, maybe make some posts on some of the State forums you are thinking about.

Personally I love the Northeast, but alot of people like you are thinking of leaving because of the cost of living. Whatever you decide, good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,256 posts, read 11,982,342 times
Reputation: 3097
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamix068 View Post
Hi there. Come here to get some serious help from different perspectives. Im from Philly. I work on BMW's and couldnt imagine doing anything else. I went to BMW school in Orlando and loved it. When I was finished I ended up working for a dealer just outside of Boston. My parents were living near the dealer so I felt it would be a good place to get my feet on the ground.Now that I have alot of experience I feel that its time to move on. Things are slow at the dealer and I do not like standing around all winter with very little work. I loved that housing was so cheap in Orlando. Up here even with the way the economy is renting is still very expensive.One of my best friends at work left and went to Houston,and is doing very well for himself.He keeps telling me how busy they are and how cheap houses are. Im looking for warmer weather and cheaper housing basically but am so unsure of where to go.
Then why not go to Houston? You have a good friend there already, and the economy there is dandy from what I've heard. I've heard great things about Austin as well. TX in general is very affordable compared to much of the NE- ESPECIALLY MA

Florida is a no go right now if you're looking for a good economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Brookline, MA
613 posts, read 2,027,918 times
Reputation: 359
I live in Boston and yep, it's expensive. Other parts of New England are less so. I say check out Houston. Give it a year or two. If you hate it, you can always come back to Boston or move somewhere else.

You already have a friend living there so it's an immediate social base (not knowing a soul is one of the scariest parts of moving somewhere new). He may be able to hook you up with a job or at least give you pointers on where to find one, the cost of living is much cheaper, the weather is warmer, and it's still a "big city" that's going to have nightlife and fun things happening.

If not Houston, do you have friends living anywhere else that's of interest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 06:00 PM
 
36 posts, read 103,719 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver View Post
I live in Boston and yep, it's expensive. Other parts of New England are less so. I say check out Houston. Give it a year or two. If you hate it, you can always come back to Boston or move somewhere else.

You already have a friend living there so it's an immediate social base (not knowing a soul is one of the scariest parts of moving somewhere new). He may be able to hook you up with a job or at least give you pointers on where to find one, the cost of living is much cheaper, the weather is warmer, and it's still a "big city" that's going to have nightlife and fun things happening.

If not Houston, do you have friends living anywhere else that's of interest?

Yeah I have that good friend in Houston,all the guys I grew up with in Philly,a really good friend in Atlanta,and all over the state of Florida from Daytona to Sarasota to Ft lauderdale.
I dont think Im ever going back to Philly and once I leave Boston and settle in I dont see myself moving back. I could live outside of Boston, but my drive right now is rough on the way in and on the way out. I couldnt even think of making it longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 07:39 AM
 
56,870 posts, read 81,192,796 times
Reputation: 12574
What about Raleigh/Durham in NC or Nashville?

Also, if you didn't want to leave the Northeast, you would have to look inland more to areas in Upstate NY or PA to find more affordable housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 06:14 AM
 
21,234 posts, read 30,478,027 times
Reputation: 19706
Orlando is a giant suburb with a poor economy. I lived there for 7 long years and would never go back. The city has no plans for long term growth as evidenced by out-of-control sprawl and a poor transportation system. The crime rate now rivals the much larger Miami area. If you'd like to move to Florida, I would check out the Tampa/St Petersburg area or Jacksonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 03:18 PM
 
36 posts, read 103,719 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando is a giant suburb with a poor economy. I lived there for 7 long years and would never go back. The city has no plans for long term growth as evidenced by out-of-control sprawl and a poor transportation system. The crime rate now rivals the much larger Miami area. If you'd like to move to Florida, I would check out the Tampa/St Petersburg area or Jacksonville.
Where in FL would the economy be the strongest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top