U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 AM

519 posts, read 815,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Try Charleston SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Or Savannah GA. Nashville TN might work too. If you to go even smaller Asheville NC could be a possibility.
If this is directed at the OP then I believe Charleston and Nashville were already mentioned Savannah is an interesting possibility but it depends on your definition of culture I think. I'm not aware of Asheville having a lot of culture, especially as compared to Raleigh...

If it's directed at me... well, it's not my thread, but I'll throw in a quick response:

I'm considering Charleston and Savannah already. I've never been to Charleston but the more I read about it the more intrigued I become. My grandparents used to live in a retirement community near Savannah so I've been there. I love it from what I remember (yes I'm even ok with the 100 degree days with 100% humidity). Both require additional research into the availability of activities that I enjoy (rock concerts, good and diverse restaurants, playing sports such as softball, flag football, and baseball) and a few other items.

I don't think that Nashville is a good fit for me. It's too far from the ocean and I'm just not that sold on the culture, though I should probably visit it.

I think I've been to Asheville once (got offered a scholarship to play baseball there if I remember right). Nothing about it really sticks out in my memory and I think I may even be confusing it with Greensboro.

One major drawback for me is that I don't think any of these areas are exactly hot-beds for technology related jobs. My degree is in computer science & economics and I've been working as a senior consultant for a CRM software company for the last 6 years. I could potentially stay with my same company but that would require my being near a major airport where I could get flights cheaply and at good business times, especially to DC and Chicago. I think Nashville is the only one that has such an airport. I'm also interested in getting new experiences with a different company anyway.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:22 AM

One last post for a little while. It's from 2007 but here's a link ranking Pittsburgh as the best metropolitan area in the US Ten Best Metropolitan Areas in the United States — Infoplease.com so that can add some weight towards Pittsburgh too

Old 08-11-2010, 11:46 AM

13,226 posts, read 17,981,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
It gets concerts, but nowhere near as frequently as some other cities.
That's about to change with CONSOL Energy Center opening. Part of why a lot of big concerts used to pass Pittsburgh is because Mellon Arena was inadequate. They're also about to get a mid-size concert venue on the North Shore near Heinz Field.

Quote:
It has a symphony, but it's not exactly world renown.
They've done some traveling internationally. I think they could be underrated.

Quote:
It has a few new buildings with cool architecture, but not many. It's got old, historical buildings, but they tend to be more gritty than pretty.
I think it has a good balance of old and new architecture, but maybe that's just me.

Quote:
I'm not sure on the theater scene... it doesn't really seem like their type of thing though.
Penn and Liberty Avenues downtown are where the theaters are, and they seem to do well whenever they host events. I haven't heard any stories about a lack of support.

Quote:
It's got pro sports teams, but no basketball, and lets face it, might as well not have baseball either. Hockey and Football are awesome there though.
Pittsburghers support the Pirates well considering the product they get in return. Home attendance has averaged over 20,000 so far this season in spite of them having the worst record in the National League. You're right that the Steelers and Penguins kick a whole lotta ass, though.

Quote:
It's close to other major cities, but not close enough for a day trip IMO (Philly, DC, Baltimore are all about 5 hours away, Atlantic City / the beach is 6.5, NY 7). It is close to Cleveland though at about 2 hours.
You're right about that. Visiting other major cities aside from those in Ohio would probably be weekend trips instead of day trips. However, there's a lot of nice scenery and outdoor recreation that people could make a day trip of.

Quote:
The airport isn't very big...
Actually, PIT is huge. You could fit ATL and ORD into PIT and still have room left over. It was built to be a hub for US Airways after they pitched a fit 25 years ago claiming that PIT was inadequate. Then they left anyway because apparently they forgot that they had to pay for the state-of-the-art airport that they got, so what Pittsburgh is left with now is basically an overbuilt airport. (Eh, better to be overbuilt than underbuilt.)

Quote:
It's not very ethnically diverse and its lacking in interesting restaurants IMO (Promonti Bros sandwiches are awesome though and I need to get one from the original restaurant).
Now that the economy in Pittsburgh has reset itself, increased ethnic diversity isn't far behind. I don't know that it'll ever be a "magnet" city again like it was 100 years ago, but eventually foreign immigrants will discover that their money will go farther in Pittsburgh than in any of the huge cities on the coast.

Quote:
Basically, it's a midwestern city that's closer to the east coast cities and has a little more diversity thrown in.
Pittsburgh is a Northeastern city with a little bit of Midwest flavor added. Pittsburghers pay more attention to New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC than they do to Chicago or Detroit. You can tune in to WOR (New York) in Pittsburgh, but not WGN (Chicago).

Old 08-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
That's about to change with CONSOL Energy Center opening. Part of why a lot of big concerts used to pass Pittsburgh is because Mellon Arena was inadequate. They're also about to get a mid-size concert venue on the North Shore near Heinz Field.

They've done some traveling internationally. I think they could be underrated.

I think it has a good balance of old and new architecture, but maybe that's just me.

Penn and Liberty Avenues downtown are where the theaters are, and they seem to do well whenever they host events. I haven't heard any stories about a lack of support.

Pittsburghers support the Pirates well considering the product they get in return. Home attendance has averaged over 20,000 so far this season in spite of them having the worst record in the National League. You're right that the Steelers and Penguins kick a whole lotta ass, though.

You're right about that. Visiting other major cities aside from those in Ohio would probably be weekend trips instead of day trips. However, there's a lot of nice scenery and outdoor recreation that people could make a day trip of.

Actually, PIT is huge. You could fit ATL and ORD into PIT and still have room left over. It was built to be a hub for US Airways after they pitched a fit 25 years ago claiming that PIT was inadequate. Then they left anyway because apparently they forgot that they had to pay for the state-of-the-art airport that they got, so what Pittsburgh is left with now is basically an overbuilt airport. (Eh, better to be overbuilt than underbuilt.)

Now that the economy in Pittsburgh has reset itself, increased ethnic diversity isn't far behind. I don't know that it'll ever be a "magnet" city again like it was 100 years ago, but eventually foreign immigrants will discover that their money will go farther in Pittsburgh than in any of the huge cities on the coast.

Pittsburgh is a Northeastern city with a little bit of Midwest flavor added. Pittsburghers pay more attention to New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC than they do to Chicago or Detroit. You can tune in to WOR (New York) in Pittsburgh, but not WGN (Chicago).

Thanks for the info I wasn't aware of a lot of that, especially regarding the new concert venues and the symphony and theater related stuff. That side of my family isn't really into that stuff and I don't live there so I'm def behind in that knowledge. I still don't see Pittsburgh show up too often when I look at tour schedules of rock bands I want to see, but hopefully that will change soon.

I agree with the nice scenary and outdoor things to do, Kennywood, etc. It definitely beats most of the Midwest in that regards IMO.

The city does support the Pirates well, all things considered. That doesn't make the Pirates any less worthless on the field though.

I've flown into PIT 2 or 3 times over the last 4 years or so and I don't remember it being that big... certainly not like ATL or ORD. Regardless, I meant large as in the number of flights. More flights means more options, more direct flights, and lower prices. Where I live I have easy access to Reagan National, Dulles, and BWI, all of which seem to have more flights to more destinations and typically at cheaper prices than PIT. It's probably a more useful airport than Raleigh, but it's also far worse than several of the places mentioned including Philly, Chicago, Houston, Minneapolis, and Dallas. Milwaukee, Denver, and Tampa probably have better options too.

I disagree with it being mostly northeastern, at least in the ways that matter to me. When I think of NE cities, I think of DC, Baltimore, Philly, NY, and Boston. To me, Pittsburgh's size, climate, isolation, lack of public transportation, slower pace of life, and nice, hardworking, down-to-earth people much more closely resembles the Midwest than the NE.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:45 PM

56,748 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info I wasn't aware of a lot of that, especially regarding the new concert venues and the symphony and theater related stuff. That side of my family isn't really into that stuff and I don't live there so I'm def behind in that knowledge. I still don't see Pittsburgh show up too often when I look at tour schedules of rock bands I want to see, but hopefully that will change soon.

I agree with the nice scenary and outdoor things to do, Kennywood, etc. It definitely beats most of the Midwest in that regards IMO.

The city does support the Pirates well, all things considered. That doesn't make the Pirates any less worthless on the field though.

I've flown into PIT 2 or 3 times over the last 4 years or so and I don't remember it being that big... certainly not like ATL or ORD. Regardless, I meant large as in the number of flights. More flights means more options, more direct flights, and lower prices. Where I live I have easy access to Reagan National, Dulles, and BWI, all of which seem to have more flights to more destinations and typically at cheaper prices than PIT. It's probably a more useful airport than Raleigh, but it's also far worse than several of the places mentioned including Philly, Chicago, Houston, Minneapolis, and Dallas. Milwaukee, Denver, and Tampa probably have better options too.

I disagree with it being mostly northeastern, at least in the ways that matter to me. When I think of NE cities, I think of DC, Baltimore, Philly, NY, and Boston. To me, Pittsburgh's size, climate, isolation, lack of public transportation, slower pace of life, and nice, hardworking, down-to-earth people much more closely resembles the Midwest than the NE.
Can't believe that you two didn't give the Pitt Panthers love considering the good Football and Basketball programs.

Anyway, I think other factors like weather have to be mentioned by the OP in order for people to help them properly.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Can't believe that you two didn't give the Pitt Panthers love considering the good Football and Basketball programs.

Anyway, I think other factors like weather have to be mentioned by the OP in order for people to help them properly.
Pitt's sports teams are definitely good. I was only talking pro though.

I don't think the OP is necessarily looking at moving. I think he just wanted to know what other cities it would be possible for an average retail worker of modest means to live a fulfilling life with affordable access to both decent housing and cultural activities. If he's looking at moving, then he definitely needs to nail down climate ideas to go with the COL and amenities that he's already stated. General lifestyle preferences would probably be good to know too (fast vs slow pace, travel vs no travel, etc.)

Old 08-12-2010, 05:40 AM

9 posts, read 18,036 times
I can think of about 10 cities that fit the bill here

Chicago
Houston
Dallas/Ft Worth
Philly
Cleveland
Atlanta
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Detroit

Old 08-12-2010, 10:53 AM

976 posts, read 1,882,866 times
^another list from which st. louis is conspicuously absent. st. louis "fits the bill" just as much if not more than most of those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.