U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 AM

1,582 posts, read 4,289,866 times

Advertisements

We spent a few days in Miami recently (second time there) and couldn't believe again how slow-paced and non-bustling it was there (outside South Beach tourist areas)...I find it hard to believe there's 4 million people or so in the metro area?

I noticed some honking when people didn't react quick enough to the green light- something I noticed that was very prevalent when I lived in LA- but besides that Miami seemed so Slow and SLEEPY.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 09:31 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,188,748 times
Well first its summer time Miami is not as busy during the summer. And you didnt hear honking thats pretty amazing as the road rage here is terrible. So not hearing honking is a bad thing?

As for slow paced its not NYC DC or Boston but LA is slow paced in my mind. I go to LA a few times a year and it seems much more relaxed then Miami. You were visiting I imagine you spent most of your time in South Beach where else did you go?
Try to get out of downtown at 5pm? Drive the streets of Hialeah? Drive through little Haiti in the afternoon, or take the highways out to the suburbs at 5pm? I am not sure what you need for the fast pace feel. But I have never found Miami to be slow paced and sleepy thats the last thing Miami is.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:40 AM

1,582 posts, read 4,289,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Well first its summer time Miami is not as busy during the summer. And you didnt hear honking thats pretty amazing as the road rage here is terrible. So not hearing honking is a bad thing?

Try to get out of downtown at 5pm? Drive the streets of Hialeah? Drive through little Haiti in the afternoon, or take the highways out to the suburbs at 5pm? I am not sure what you need for the fast pace feel. But I have never found Miami to be slow paced and sleepy thats the last thing Miami is.

I heard honking when people didn't react quick enough to the green light- something that i rarely noticed when i lived in Seattle (but was very common in S.California). So in that sense i am sure Miami drivers can be quite aggressive.

But the overall pace and feel when I was there, again outside South Beach (we spent more time around Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, etc en route to a cruise) can be described as pretty sleepy- SULTRY even
I know it is not part of the Cultural South, but I do find Florida in general is quite slow-paced..the humid weather maybe?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:44 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,567,618 times
slow paced compared to? Depends where you are from. If you are from a major northern city, anything in the south or west coast is going to seem slow.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:54 AM

7,412 posts, read 8,239,526 times
I like a slower paced city frankly but Miami doesn't impress me as being very slowed paced compared to most large U.S. cities.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:55 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
they ran out of all their coke

Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Miami isn't slow-paced, but it isn't fast like many would think it is. When I first visited; I was shocked by how slow things were compared to how I thought they would be.

I was expecting a pace faster than any city here in Texas, but it wasn't.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:05 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,962,576 times
If you were in South Beach saying it was slow pace you'd be crazy.
The rest of the city is not a special case depending on what you consider "slow pace"- Jacksonville on the other hand.............................

Old 08-05-2010, 11:33 AM

151 posts, read 467,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
We spent a few days in Miami recently (second time there) and couldn't believe again how slow-paced and non-bustling it was there (outside South Beach tourist areas)...I find it hard to believe there's 4 million people or so in the metro area?

I noticed some honking when people didn't react quick enough to the green light- something I noticed that was very prevalent when I lived in LA- but besides that Miami seemed so Slow and SLEEPY.
To tell you the truth…I think you have something.

I was in Miami last summer (early August)…and people seem very laid back and calm. I think (the moving slow part) is a climatic necessity in a humid subtropical/tropical climate. I have read several novels about old days of the port cities in the Gulf/south Atlantic (Galveston, New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston…etc) and you read many times that they would break from work during the “heat of the day”…or that folks would find a shady spot on the porch and just sit back and enjoy the middle of the day. Before the 1900 Galveston, TX hurricane, it was common for all the stores and small shops to close in the city between 1:00 and 3:00 PM.

I think that is one of the most charming and different things about cities deep in the American subtropics…the climate controls the rhythm of everything, at least in summer. It seems that in other cities I have lived/worked in (Washington, LA, Seattle…etc)…the climate has no real effect on the rhythm of life most of the time. However, in Miami or New Orleans in the hot season – you get up at 8 or 9 am (it’s already almost 80 F)…the sun keeps getting higher in the sky; people do their chores as the heat keeps building toward mid day. Then around 2:00 PM, the thunder heads that had been building up, crack, and a quick burst of torrential rain like a typhoon comes thundering down. It reminded me of the Caribbean Islands in the off season, when the sun/heat is in completely control of everything – lol. Actually, I found it kind of cool.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:18 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,135,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
I think that is one of the most charming and different things about cities deep in the American subtropics…the climate controls the rhythm of everything, at least in summer. It seems that in other cities I have lived/worked in (Washington, LA, Seattle…etc)…the climate has no real effect on the rhythm of life most of the time. However, in Miami or New Orleans in the hot season – you get up at 8 or 9 am (it’s already almost 80 F)…the sun keeps getting higher in the sky; people do their chores as the heat keeps building toward mid day. Then around 2:00 PM, the thunder heads that had been building up, crack, and a quick burst of torrential rain like a typhoon comes thundering down. It reminded me of the Caribbean Islands in the off season, when the sun/heat is in completely control of everything – lol. Actually, I found it kind of cool.
You know I've never thought about it like that, but you hit the nail on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.