U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:25 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times

Advertisements

Cities tend to disproportionately attract young unmarried people looking for work as well other people leaving "their roots." (Immigrants, married people striking out on their own as well, etc) Those groups tend to be more liberal or become more liberal. If they fail at finding their dream they may want assistance and they might want a more socially liberal atmosphere because they're trying to figure themselves out so may want more options or just adventure.

I think it's also easier to disconnect from a tradition when you're in a city. You can "disappear into the crowd" so to speak whereas in the country or some suburbs a greater degree of connection and conformity might be plausible.

Granted this is mostly speaking in terms of conservative versus progressive (social) rather than Right versus Left. (economic) I think the economic aspect could be, in the US, because cities are more likely to have non-white poor people and single women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 04:07 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,115,798 times
I am thinking it has to do with population density of an area in terms of individualism vs. communitarianism. Depending on how many people are near you or how interconnected you are with others does tend to slant you towards one end or the other.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:20 PM

5,857 posts, read 14,041,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I am thinking it has to do with population density of an area in terms of individualism vs. communitarianism. Depending on how many people are near you or how interconnected you are with others does tend to slant you towards one end or the other.
Not sure how density factors in, but I believe you are spot on re: individualism vs. communitarianism.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:13 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,115,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Not sure how density factors in, but I believe you are spot on re: individualism vs. communitarianism.
I am thinking density would factor in since it would require going more towards one way or the other. This might be why in election periods the swing voters are most often in suburban areas.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,630,254 times
I think liberalism in cities may stem from many laws being passed that would not be passed in rural areas. With people living so close or on top of each other, cities may have felt that they had no choice but to pass laws regulating all types of behavior. In rural areas, most of these types of laws are unnecessary. I usually equate liberalism with lots of laws regulating people and conservatism with a minimal amount of laws regulating people.

Of course, there are times when some form of regulation is necessary.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:58 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,594,675 times
it seems like the liberal/conservative thing in America is mostly race-related, so i would basically think that has to do with it.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:03 PM

7,281 posts, read 13,520,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I think liberalism in cities may stem from many laws being passed that would not be passed in rural areas. With people living so close or on top of each other, cities may have felt that they had no choice but to pass laws regulating all types of behavior. In rural areas, most of these types of laws are unnecessary. I usually equate liberalism with lots of laws regulating people and conservatism with a minimal amount of laws regulating people.

Of course, there are times when some form of regulation is necessary.
I agree with this, for the most part. A major city without regulation/governance would be bedlam.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
it seems like the liberal/conservative thing in America is mostly race-related, so i would basically think that has to do with it.
I think that one study of conservative/liberal cities implied that, but I think that's a bit inaccurate as they were only looking to party. Blacks are the most consistently Democratic voting group in the nation, but that's likely due to a mix of solidarity and economics. On issues that don't concern poverty or crime-sentencing there's a fair variety of views among black Americans.

Even on partisan voting when you take out Blacks, White Evangelicals, and White Mormons I think much of the racial thing is greatly reduced in significance. GovPro lists Garden Grove, California as one of America's most conservative suburbs and it's around 22% Vietnamese. Other towns in their "Most conservative" list that have, according to their stats, noticeably higher than average Asian populations are

Plano, Texas
Orange, California
Corona, California
Anchorage, Alaska
Huntington Beach, California