U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:34 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,894,903 times

Advertisements

Chicagoland- this would be north east il, north west ind, and south east wisconsin

Was born in the area and lived there until 13. mom still lives there and cousins and friends and yada yada, go back about 2-3 times a year

California-is where i have lived for 14 years. Sac area for seven and a half and lived in the bay area for six and a half years. Wife is from Carlsbad.

DC METRO-Southern maryland, NoVA, and DC. Mom grew up in the crestwood neighborhood, nw, dad grew up in ne. Grandfather has a shelter named after him there and is burried at arlington national cemetary, next to my grandmother. other grandparents still live in the same home. Dads side tends to be more ne and southern maryland, moms side nw and NOVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 10:07 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,095,182 times
Illinois - I've lived in Illinois almost all of my life, aside from a few years in the Army. Born in Kankakee, then lived in various suburbs of Chicago growing up. Went to college at U of Illinois and have lived in Urbana for over 12 years now. I am a member of a few different professional organizations so have travelled to cities all over the state for conferences, etc. I've taken tons of road trips and have been to pretty much every corner of the state and every town of any significance at one time or another.

Indiana - I have relatives in both extreme downstate Indiana (Evansville, Mt. Vernon, New Harmony, and New Albany areas) and northern Indiana, as well. I've also been to Indy a number of times and places in west-central Indiana since it's not far from where I live now.

Virginia - I was in the Army in SE Virginia for about 3 years and did a lot of driving/exloring on my free time while I was there. I know all of Norfolk/VA Beach/Newport News, Hampton, Williamsburg, pretty well and did some trips out to Richmond, DC area, and other parts of the state including the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Colorado - I've been numerous times for vacation, to visit friends, go hiking in the mountains, etc. I probably know Denver and the I-70 corridor the best, but have also been to Colorado Springs, Boulder, and Fort Collins and surrounding areas. I've also driven along I-76 so have seen the barren northeast part of the state, as well.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:09 AM

7,624 posts, read 9,479,023 times
Mass and Vermont quite well, over 20 years in each one, with smaller amounts in New York and Wisconsin...

I also know the Chicago-Milwaukee-Madison triangle fairly well, too...

Old 08-11-2010, 03:31 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,044,527 times
Alabama-Home
Georgia-Second home
Tennessee-Vacation property
South Carolina-Vacation property
Virginia-Family
Washington-Family
Mississippi-Friends

Old 08-11-2010, 11:04 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,601,001 times
North Carolina, Penn, S. Carolina, New York, New Jersey.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:45 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,487,526 times
Mostly just California. I have visited many other states, but I wouldn't claim to 'know' them. I've lived 24 years in California, have traveled around it often, and have seen most of the state...but it's so big that there's always an unturned stone. Whenever I take a trip in the state I'm constantly surprised by the things I didn't know existed here. You could spend a lifetime travelling throughout CA and not see it all.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:16 AM

13,241 posts, read 24,481,973 times
California: First 23 years of my life
Washington: Every summer 1989-1999 & 2009, and a visit in 2003.
Colorado: Most of the last three years

Old 08-13-2010, 11:14 AM

8,121 posts, read 17,353,385 times
Up until almost 6 years ago, I spent my entire life (minus the first year and change, born in NYC) in New Jersey. I've since lived in New Mexico, and it's looking like Missouri, soon. If I could do it over again, I'd wish I would have spent less time in one state, in this case, New Jersey. I think it's great to live in a variety of different places, at least for me, in the course of one's life. I've met a lot of interesting people with this latest move, many of which have lived in multiple states. New Jersey was different: most seemed to live right in that state or the adjoining area their entire lives. I learned with my latest trip to SW Colorado that there's too much of this country to see. As much as I would like to be able to say I really "know" an entire state, that's really not possible unless you've lived in it for a while. So, my list is really ill-informed, probably, after the first two:

1) New Jersey: lived 35+ years
2) New Mexico: lived last 5+ years
3) New York: Lots of family and lots of former extensive business travel
4) California: Lots of business travel and pleasure travel
5) Colorado: Lots of family and extensive pleasure travel
6) Pennsylvania: Some family, but mostly a lot of day trips. I really love most of Pennsylvania, a very underrated state.
7) Florida: Family and lots of vacations more than a half a lifetime ago.

And that's really about it. I've been to almost every state, but I would be foolish to say that I know really that much about any of them. My latest trip to Colorado re-affirmed it, because I thought I had traveled enough extensively there to think I was a good source of knowledge. Really, however, I am not. The state is bigger than two New Englands put together. When you think about how large some of these states are, it becomes very difficult for anyone, even a lifetime resident, to be able to give proper attribution to. So, really, I'd say that past my first 3 entries, even though I put them in there, I'd be pretty hard pressed to offer up anything really substantative, compared to a native. And I only include New York with the two I've lived in because I have been to almost every nook of that state, traveling. The other ones, I know more than the other 43 states, but not nearly as much as a seasoned traveler, or more importantly, someone who can say they've lived in a variety of places.

I was thinking about this earlier this morning: I wonder if someone over the course of their lifetime has lived in all 50 states. You know, someone who after they graduated college at age 22, decided they were going to do one a year, til the time they were 72! If I could turn back the hands of time, I think I'd like to try it.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:46 PM

7,624 posts, read 9,479,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Up until almost 6 years ago, I spent my entire life (minus the first year and change, born in NYC) in New Jersey. I've since lived in New Mexico, and it's looking like Missouri, soon. If I could do it over again, I'd wish I would have spent less time in one state, in this case, New Jersey. I think it's great to live in a variety of different places, at least for me, in the course of one's life. I've met a lot of interesting people with this latest move, many of which have lived in multiple states. New Jersey was different: most seemed to live right in that state or the adjoining area their entire lives. I learned with my latest trip to SW Colorado that there's too much of this country to see. As much as I would like to be able to say I really "know" an entire state, that's really not possible unless you've lived in it for a while. So, my list is really ill-informed, probably, after the first two:

1) New Jersey: lived 35+ years
2) New Mexico: lived last 5+ years
3) New York: Lots of family and lots of former extensive business travel
4) California: Lots of business travel and pleasure travel
5) Colorado: Lots of family and extensive pleasure travel
6) Pennsylvania: Some family, but mostly a lot of day trips. I really love most of Pennsylvania, a very underrated state.
7) Florida: Family and lots of vacations more than a half a lifetime ago.

And that's really about it. I've been to almost every state, but I would be foolish to say that I know really that much about any of them. My latest trip to Colorado re-affirmed it, because I thought I had traveled enough extensively there to think I was a good source of knowledge. Really, however, I am not. The state is bigger than two New Englands put together. When you think about how large some of these states are, it becomes very difficult for anyone, even a lifetime resident, to be able to give proper attribution to. So, really, I'd say that past my first 3 entries, even though I put them in there, I'd be pretty hard pressed to offer up anything really substantative, compared to a native. And I only include New York with the two I've lived in because I have been to almost every nook of that state, traveling. The other ones, I know more than the other 43 states, but not nearly as much as a seasoned traveler, or more importantly, someone who can say they've lived in a variety of places.

I was thinking about this earlier this morning: I wonder if someone over the course of their lifetime has lived in all 50 states. You know, someone who after they graduated college at age 22, decided they were going to do one a year, til the time they were 72! If I could turn back the hands of time, I think I'd like to try it.
Moving every year would get very tiresome, very quickly. Being a stranger over and over would wear on you...
I do believe that it's best to move around a little bit, but it's more beneficial to stay for a bit once you have moved. As an adult, I've only moved a handful of times, although I believe that I have 1-2 more possible moves in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or