U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,962,576 times

Advertisements

Self explanatory.
Which states do you have the most knowledge for. Whether it's places you lived, visit, or love and research. Compile a list in order from most to least.

1. New Jersey- I lived here all my life despite a year absence in NY. I grew up in inner-ring NYC suburbs, I lived in Trenton, I go to the shore every summer, and I can pretty much name over 100+ towns off the top of my head. Oh and NWNJ is where I camped as a kid.

2. New York- I lived in Troy, NY for a year. I go to NYC 5+ times a year, plus I see the skyline almost every single day in the distance. I have family in Staten Island, the Bronx, and Long Island- I take frequent road trips up to lake george and Saratoga Springs. I strangely love Syracuse and Albany more than the average outsider would.

3. Florida- I've spent a whole summer there with my grandpa. He lives in Fort Myers (where I stayed most of my time there) I visited a friend who moved from NJ to FL in Lehigh Acres, I've been to Tampa, Orlando, Miami, and Cape Coral. I've seen the beautiful tropical areas,the country like areas and the ghettos. I pretty much experienced what FL really is beyond the brochure to the fullest. The fly by thunder storms are wicked too.

4. Delaware- My close cousin lives there. I do a lot of partying in Dover, I learned that Delaware isn't as boring as it seems. It has a lot of wildlife which is something I did NOT expect. NO SALES TAX ON ANYTHING!

5. Connecticut- My Aunt, uncle, and cousins live in Shelton. I go there for mst holidays. I never really go anywhere else in the state then the given route we usually take to see them. They have a lot of hills and deer where they live- It has a very New England feel about the town. Bridgeport reminds me of Newark. New Haven is where they host a lot of events, which is an underrated city of AMAZING FOOD!

6. California- My long lost brothers live there. I met them for the first time during this past spring break in SF/Sacramento. I fell in love with Cali after my visit. Sacramento really exceeded my expectations, I thought SF's Chinatown was better than NYC's (to be honest). Plus I fell in love with Golden Gate Park in which I spent a whole day on-- Right on the beach- seriously!!

You go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 03:39 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,800,777 times
My turn:

Illinois- I live in downtown Chicago.

Texas- I live in suburban Houston & I go to school in Austin. I have seen every major city in Texas so many times to count. I have seen Dallas, San Antonio, Fort Worth, & Corpus Christi like a million times. I have seen El Paso twice and South Padre once though.

California- Two of my cousins and their families live in the Bay Area. One in San Jose, I go to California so much, I drive there, and I am familiar with the streets and areas in San Jose. The other cousin and his family live in Mountain View where Google's headquarters is- that's where my cousin works as well.
I have another cousin in Los Angeles, she has been there for about 1.5 years now, she doesn't know enough about it, I know more about it than her. I like to visit her a lot- and surprisingly I show her around her own city... how weird. But I like spending more time in Southern California than Northern California. My style of cities (San Diego & Los Angeles) I have had the splendid opportunity to live in Bay Area for 4 months before.

Arizona- I lived in Tucson for nearly 4 months once, I know Arizona fairly well. Been to Yuma, Phoenix, Flagstaff, Sedona. I have seen the state as a whole, and I love it. Very beautiful state.

Michigan- I did my first year of college in Ann Arbor, Michigan. But I know the state fairly well, but I still can't navigate through it despite seeing majority of the lower peninsula.

I have been to 29 states total. But I will only comment on the states in which by now if you give me a car or something that I know for a fact that I can navigate through easily. And these are the only three I can do that in.

Otherwise all the other states have just been tourist visits or visiting family but not getting too familiar with the surrounding.

State wise, I know Texas most, California second, and Illinois third, because outside of Naperville, Aurora, & Downtown Chicago along with Springfield & Urbana-Champaign I don't know Illinois by experience as much. Surprisingly I know California VERY well. Michigan & Arizona tied for fourth.

Next person.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:41 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,202,596 times
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Nova Scotia
New Mexico
Maine
Vermont
Rhode Island

ahhh I'll explain later.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:52 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,155,201 times
Connecticut/New Jersey- I lived all over these and I lived in em the longest, and I know em like the back of my hand. I probably know CT a lil better than NJ by now, or I know NJ a lil less than I used to. NJ was the 2nd state I lived in in this country, and CT the 3rd, then I hopped back and forth between em for most of my life.
Massachusetts- I go to school here now, and my aunt and uncle live here since forever, and it's right there with Connecticut after all.

New York
- The 1st state I lived in in this country, I've been all over the state, but I only lived in NYC, I still know it really well though.

Rhode Island- Right between CT and MA, so I know it really well.
New Hampshire/Vermont- Right above MA, I've spent lottsa time in these, but I know NH a lil better than VT.
Maine- I know it the least of the New England states, cause I spent the least time in it compared to the others. That's not to say I don't know it well though.
Pennsylvania- Kinda the cutoff point, I know PA fairly well, less than the rest up here though, but more so than the next few. I know Eastern PA much better than Western.

Virginia- I spent good time in Virgina, and I love it. But really, I only know NOVA/DC area, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, and some of the "Richmond area", but I really need to explore the rest of the state.

Delaware/Maryland- Spent decent time in both, just didn't really "explore" so to speak.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:14 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,800,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
California- Two of my cousins and their families live in the Bay Area. One in San Jose, I go to California so much, I drive there, and I am familiar with the streets and areas in San Jose. The other cousin and his family live in Mountain View where Google's headquarters is- that's where my cousin works as well.
I just caught that. I have never actually literally driven from any state to Northern California before (have from Arizona to Southern California) I meant to say that my cousin has let me do the driving (his car) in the Bay Area before.

Drive from San Jose to San Francisco was possibly the greatest drive I've ever experienced before.

Route 101 Los Angeles to Bay Area is amazing. And Napa Valley speaks for itself.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,970,555 times
NY, NJ, (over half a century) and to a lesser extend Ct., Ma., Vt. and Me. I spent my summers in Indiana near the Chicago area as a kid, but that was a long time ago.

I have lived in Florida for 3 years this time, and been around the state, but I don't count that.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:14 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,359,257 times
Interesting thread idea:

1) California: Let's see, out of 21 years I've been alive, I lived in California around 19 out of those 21 years. Of those 19 years, I've lived 16 years in the LA area (mostly in the San Fernando Valley, be it North Hollywood or Northridge) and the Bay Area (3 years for college). I'm most likely going to end up settling in California, and have traveled extensively ALL OVER the state. From Crescent City in the Northwest to Winterhaven to the Southeast, I know this state like the back of my hand. In fact, if you gave me a blank county map, I pretty much can name almost every single one by heart EXCEPT for some of the smaller Sierra Nevada counties. Realistically speaking, California SHOULD be more than one state instead of this schizophrenic mess we have now But I love all of it, despite its flaws created by stupid, stupid people.

2) Nevada: I really do think most Californians have been to Nevada at least ONCE in their lives, either going to Las Vegas OR going to Lake Tahoe. I do wish I can explore more of the interior of the state away from the California border. However, I really do feel like this is an extension of California. Really, in a huge chunk of NV, California plates OUTNUMBER Nevada plates. It MIGHT AS WELL be California (sorry to NV natives).

3) Arizona: I lived one year in Phoenix, and traveled all over the state with my parents while living there. It's an extremely awesome state. In addition to going to the Grand Canyon over 9000 times, I've visited Sedona, Tucson, Tombstone, Douglas, Nogales, Yuma, Petrified Forest, Lake Powell, etc etc etc.

4) Washington: I'm here right now, and have been going all around the state intermittently for the past year and a half or so. In fact, I just came back from a trip to Fort Nisqually and Point Defiance Park in Tacoma right now, been to Olympia, and will be going to Eastern Washington this weekend.

5) New Jersey: While I did live in NYC (Staten Island, more specifically), we actually went around more of NJ rather than NY State. In fact, the furthest north that we ever went was Poughkeepsie. From Cape May to the Delaware Water Gap, I'm pretty familiar with much of the state. I must say, despite its reputation of being a gigantic suburb, its rural environs are extremely underrated!

Honorable Mentions:

New York: I've been all over Suffolk and Nassau Counties (Long Island) and much of NYC, since I lived on Staten Island during my Freshman year of HS. However, the furthest north we ever went was Poughkeepsie, and feel like I'd be lying if I said I knew the whole state well. I hope that one day, I can come back and explore more of the state

Rhode Island: I pretty much lived here for a month while visiting my brother at Brown. Went all over the state, and know Providence like the back of my hand. However, I didn't really live here, so it doesn't matter.

Oregon: I pretty much drove through the most populated stretch of the state, but have yet to explore the interior of the state AND the coastal area of the state. Plenty of my neighbors in LA and the Bay Area regularly go to the Oregon Coast every summer to RV there. Maybe when I'm not so broke, I can do that.

CT/DE/MD: These are all relatively small states and have explored much of it, but can't say I know it beyond a superficial glance.

I know most states because I read a lot of maps, and have been to plenty of ONE PART of a state, but not to every area of the state. I've been to NoVa, but I can't say I know Virginia well from that. I've been to Philadelphia and the Bucks and Montgomery County suburbs, but I can't say I know PA.

I should take this opportunity of temporary poverty status and explore more of the USA. I really want to see more Western states, since I'm taking more and more of a liking to the outdoors.

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 08-05-2010 at 12:20 AM..

Old 08-04-2010, 11:21 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,188,748 times
Florida: Live there my whole life, have seen just about every major city and town. Great state!

California: Brother lives there, I go to LA about 2-3 times a year. Spent a month on summer in San Francisco.

Alaska: Only been there once but have always been amazed by the place. I also like it a lot since its such a cool place for aviation. I know a lot about the state because of that.

New York: Been there a lot, been to the city over 15 times, been to upstate New York many times.

Virginia: Go to school in DC so its right there. Have learned about the state and its geography over the past few years.

Texas: Only been to DFW airport, buts its Texas there are a lot of cities to know there and a lot of interesting things there, too big not to know a decent amount about. At least for a geography major.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:29 PM

201 posts, read 408,301 times
Florida- My family lives there. I've spent more than a dozens summers down there I've been up and down the East Coast, Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville. I know alot of people from there.

Kansas- My birthstate, I'm pretty much always there atleast once a week. I have family in Kansas. I know much of the Northeast(Kansas) suburbs of KC well.

Missouri- I am pretty much always in Kansas City, and I have been all throughout Missouri because I used to play baseball tournaments in the past. I visit the St. Louis area every so often.

Alaska- My home state. I live there as a baby, so I don't remember that much but good enough right?!

Illinois- Driven through this state numerous times. Been to Chicago once.

Tennessee- I have rode through Tennessee alot, Chattanooga, Nashville. Ben through the mountians etc. etc.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:38 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,972,002 times
1. New Hampshire (know most of the state pretty well, with the exception of the far, far north)

2. Rhode Island (never lived there, but grew up across the border in MA and my mother's family is from RI; it doesn't take long to get to know Little Rhody well!)

3. Vermont (been most places in the state, but don't know Franklin or Lamoille counties very well)

4. Massachusetts (spent my childhood here and know the eastern part of the state very well, but it's been a long time since I've been to the Berkshires or the islands)

5. Maine (know the coastal and western areas very well, but the far north and far downeast are still unexplored territories)

6. California (lived here for a few years; been around much of the state but never made it to San Diego, Death Valley, or the Mt. Shasta area)

7. Connecticut (really don't know Litchfield, Tolland, or Middlesex counties at all)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or