U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 09:10 PM

259 posts, read 725,218 times

Advertisements

Well I am a 20 year old single male looking to possible relocate. Right now I live in southwest Michigan. I have been doing a lot of research on cities but there is just to many. I would like an upbeat, big downtown, nightlife, just a larger city though one thats not huge as I like the "community" feel. I will be attending a community college and looking for a job. I was first looking at places where it doesnt snow, but I am considering it. I know there is a lot of threads, just a lot of stuff to read and it seems everyone say something different. Just looking for some opinions from the younger group on cities you like and why. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 09:45 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,278,657 times
Quote:
I would like an upbeat, big downtown, nightlife, just a larger city though one thats not huge as I like the "community" feel.
You're 20 years old, the world is your oyster! You don't want snow and you want a place with a young crowd, nightlife, and a place that isn't HUGE but yet not small...

How about Austin, TX? The place has a TON of college students, a very active nightlife, great weather, affordable housing/rent, and has a very young and funky vibe. It's also not HUGE and retains that "community" feel to it. I bet Austin would be perfect for you.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:18 PM

259 posts, read 725,218 times
Thanks for the reply. And yeah I am looking at Texas cities now. I was orig. looking at Tempe as I have a friend who lives in Mesa and likes it. And I see your from Scottsdale. Whats your opinion on AZ? Going to make some flight arrange. to go visit about 2 cities in a month or so, so trying to finalize it.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:38 PM

150 posts, read 480,719 times
I am 28 and worked and traveled allove the western us sounds like sanantonio is for you. but you could look at beaumont they are both to hot for me but I dont think the white stuff will cover your hat there.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:32 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,278,657 times
Quote:
I was orig. looking at Tempe as I have a friend who lives in Mesa and likes it. And I see your from Scottsdale. Whats your opinion on AZ? Going to make some flight arrange. to go visit about 2 cities in a month or so, so trying to finalize it.
Tempe is a nice place to live, it's FILLED with college students. Mill Ave. is home to most of the bars/clubs etc and on Saturday night the place is overflowing with people in their 20's and 30's.

Phoenix really doesn't have a big downtown though as you mentioned that was one of your criteria. The Phoenix metro is a pretty nice place to live, it retains that community feel to it while still offering all the big city amenities. And it's only 6 hours to both San Diego and Las Vegas which makes it nice for weekend trips.

I think you'll like Phoenix and the summer heat isn't really all that bad, you WILL get used to it. Besides that no humidity thing really helps.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:39 PM

653 posts, read 3,132,372 times
You might want to look at your neighbor across the lake--MADISON Wisconsin. It's an awesome town, especially for someone your age. Still close to your homestate of Michigan and close to Chicago, Milwaukee and the Twin Cities. Madison has a 'Liberal Attitude' about it. Lots of recreational opportunities, super low unemployment, technical college, thriving art and entertainment scene, a great downtown and friendly people. Crime rate is low, affordable housing still can be found. Maybe youv'e been there--if not you should spend a day or two there. Good Luck!!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:28 PM

13,880 posts, read 25,306,858 times
Do it all and see it all! There's a community college anywhere you want to live. When I was your age, I had just finished college in France and moved back to the US. Enjoy being young and free!

The OP suggested good places. Check them all out!

Then when you get old, you'll have no regrets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or