U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:52 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,956,143 times

Advertisements

Minnesota maybe?

Scandinavian ancestry........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 PM

871 posts, read 1,956,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
If you want raw number I guess California could be high because it's a high population. Wisconsin might fit better though as it's nearly 90% white, largely Germanic, and has around 6 million people. There's also Pennsylvania, which is larger and is like 85% white I think it says. If you want something in "The South" Kentucky is nearly 90% white with British (English, Irish, and Scottish) descent predominating I believe. Granted that might make it more the place for red-heads, but blonds weren't uncommon among those peoples. If you don't count Kentucky as Southern, as it wasn't in the Confederacy, than Tennessee and Arkansas are around 80% white.
how the hell did you manage to bring the confederacy into this? was the question "what state formerly in the confederacy has the highest percentage of blondes?".

Old 08-04-2010, 11:11 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
how the hell did you manage to bring the confederacy into this? was the question "what state formerly in the confederacy has the highest percentage of blondes?".
I thought someone asked about the South. I guess I got confused, sorry.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:15 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,115,798 times
In terms of natural blondes the Upper Midwest looks to be where it would be the most prevelent due to ancestry.

In terms of places with predominant British Isles ancestry (Primarily the South), it likely depends on which part did the people emigrate from. It could be different areas attracted people from different parts of the Isles which would make differences in how many blondes there are. (Interesting the percentage map for there looks to be heavily influenced by Viking settlement patterns around 1200 years ago)

Old 08-05-2010, 07:41 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,452,949 times
Ill agree with upper midwest being the home for the most natural blondes. Michigan and Wisconsin are largely German, Dutch and some Scandanavian. Those two states produce alot of blonde hair. Minnesota is even more Scandanavian than Mi and Wi, so I would say they have the most.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,809,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Considering all the Mexicans and Asians that have infiltrated California, it in no way has a large percentage of blondes these days. Blondes became much smaller as a percentage starting in the 80s.
People overexaggerate about mexicans and asians "infiltrating" california.

There are plenty of blondes, brunettes, redheads etc

Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,406,006 times
Having lived in both LA and MN, I'd give it to MN. LA certainly has a lot of blonde people just because there are a lot of people, period, but it's nothing like in most parts of Minnesota. I think of LA as very definitely an overall dark hair kind of place, and I don't think that -- when talking about LA, not necessarily the state as a whole -- it's not exaggerating to say that there's a very strong Hispanic/Asian influence. (and, of course, the numbers of non-blondes in MN is going up, too, but after moving back to MN from CA I was still startled by the sheer number of natural blondes out there.)

I believe North Dakota has a higher concentration of people with Scandinavian ancestry than does MN, so maybe it has even more (per capita) blondes than MN.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,115,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
People overexaggerate about mexicans and asians "infiltrating" california.

There are plenty of blondes, brunettes, redheads etc
There are plenty of everything in California, the question is how many in percent. Also consider how many are naturally that hair color to start with. Have to consider a large segment of the population will have very few if any natural blondes which will automatically make overall percentages lower. (athough there are a number of Hispanics that do have ancestry from places that have higher numbers of blondes, or from long-established families that married such families)

Old 08-06-2010, 06:24 AM

3,073 posts, read 5,446,091 times
There's a ton of blonde people on the western side of Michigan (near Holland, MI, for example). Lots of Dutch ancestry there. I'm sure it's a similar situation in the other areas that are highlighted on this map, especially a couple of spots in Iowa:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c4/Census_Bureau_Dutch_in_the_United_States_2000.png/800px-Census_Bureau_Dutch_in_the_United_States_2000.png (broken link)

Old 08-06-2010, 06:40 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
Looking at the one map of blondness in Europe it looked like Swedes were maybe the blondest, along with Norwegians. So Eastern North Dakota, Northwestern Minnesota, and the Duluth area might be tops.