U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:14 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,964,931 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised by what people are saying about California. I thought there would be more blondes. Maybe that is just the stereotype, I don't know.

There aren't many blondes in NYC metro because there is a high population of Italians. My daughter has a rare shade of blonde, so she seems to really stand out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 08:56 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,115,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I'm surprised by what people are saying about California. I thought there would be more blondes. Maybe that is just the stereotype, I don't know.

There aren't many blondes in NYC metro because there is a high population of Italians. My daughter has a rare shade of blonde, so she seems to really stand out here.
It is likely due to being a rather outdated stereotype combined with many who might not be naturally blonde. Also consider the number of Hispanics and Asians in California which makes the total percentage of population who are blonde nosedive.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:57 AM

11,170 posts, read 22,361,018 times
Quote:

I was just going to comment on that. I think people think "California" and they immediately imagine thousands of hot blonds running along the beaches in LA. While that's the case - it's a very small fraction of the entire population of the LA/Inland Empire area.

I believe California has one of if not the lowest % of white people in the country. Around 40%.

I would guess by % California probably has one of the lowest amount of blond people.

I would think the upper Midwest would have the highest - with the population of scandinavian and germans who live there.

My family is from Iowa and we're all blond (Swedish). Lots of blonds in that state, as most people are German/Irish/Nordic/Dutch.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,115,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I was just going to comment on that. I think people think "California" and they immediately imagine thousands of hot blonds running along the beaches in LA. While that's the case - it's a very small fraction of the entire population of the LA/Inland Empire area.

I believe California has one of if not the lowest % of white people in the country. Around 40%.

I would guess by % California probably has one of the lowest amount of blond people.

I would think the upper Midwest would have the highest - with the population of scandinavian and germans who live there.

My family is from Iowa and we're all blond (Swedish). Lots of blonds in that state, as most people are German/Irish/Nordic/Dutch.
I don't think that image of California is what people think of anymore. It sounds like an image that is stuck in the 1980's, interesting is that most people's images of different places do seem to be accurate if it was still 1985.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:43 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,949,686 times
hmmm, I'm from San Diego, not blonde, and have seen just as many here in Va or in Georgia as anywhere...seriously, where they sell hair color, people can get blonde lol

Old 08-06-2010, 04:43 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
Quote:
Although originally settled by the Spanish/Mexicans I think it having blonds was maybe a more valid idea at one time. I remember reading one of the more eugenicist Nobel Laureates went to San Marino, California because it was more Anglo than any place he knew.

Although there are some counties in California, and by extension towns, that are primarily of Germanic descent according to the census.

Redding, California is 82% white and 31% is German or English descent.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Redding-California.html

San Luis Obispo is 76% white and about 30% German or English descent.

http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Lu...alifornia.html

And there's always the Danish town of Solvang

http://www.city-data.com/city/Solvang-California.html

Old 03-31-2013, 11:49 AM

178 posts, read 349,297 times
Ohio, most definitely has one of the largest concentrations of natural blonds (of all different shades)...

Old 03-31-2013, 05:35 PM

87 posts, read 192,702 times
One website said that 80% of people in Sweden and Norway have blonde hair. Is this really true? Since Minneapolis is the US city with the greatest number of people of Swedish ancestry, and the greatest number of people of Norwegian ancestry, you would think Minneapolis would have a high number of blonde people, but in all the times I've visited Minneapolis, I've never noticed a high number of blonde people, compared to other US cities.

The US city with the highest percentage of people of Swedish ancestry is Duluth, MN, at 15.3%. The US cities with the highest percentage of people of Norwegian ancestry are Grand Forks, ND at 36.4% and Fargo, ND, at 35.8%. I've never visited those cities.

Last edited by The Ancient Oracle; 03-31-2013 at 05:47 PM..

Old 03-31-2013, 05:42 PM

3,178 posts, read 3,844,346 times
Definitely a lot in Minnesota, however it often comes with tall, muscular physique. Not exactly the beautiful blondes you see in magazines.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:29 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Not the best maps but...

Norwegians by county:

Swedes by county:

Finns by county:

Danes by county:

Scandinavian ancestry (not the same, people who claim some mixture)

Arguably, one could look at German Americans as well, but there's a big difference in coloration between Southern German Catholics (who migrated in large numbers to the U.S.) and the rest of Germany.

But basically, the blondest portions of the U.S. are Minnesota, the UP of Michigan, North Dakota, and Utah, and to a lesser extent South Dakota, Iowa, and Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or