U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:52 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,489,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
I think Henry's point was that the trails in the East are often older and cut through dense forests, meaning that most hikes in the Appalachians are a constant battle with tree roots, large rocks, often poorly maintained or poorly constructed trail surfaces, and very uneven slopes. Many of the original trails in the Appalachians were cut out to go directly to the summit of the mountain, whereas trailblazers in the West were more careful to use switchbacks, particularly considering the ruggedness and harsh conditions of the higher elevations.
Yep, that was precisely my point. Trail conditions are not necessarily dictated by the ruggedness of the mountain. I'm glad to see at least some people understand the distinction. Very nice pictures, by the way. I've enjoyed some of the same real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,885,151 times
Old post, but a good time to kick off again. I always said, when looking up at the towering peaks/ ranges of the Canadian Rockies was that's what you do, look up. The difference with the Blue Ridges you lived IN them and on them.
An other observation was a few years ago I spent a full week or more in Colorado above 9,000 ft. Moving across this high world with a different destination every night. By the end , I sure was glad to get back to earth. Just too long, too high for anything but Mountain goats and big horn sheep. We all were in vintage cars, there were a lot of engine fires because of the elevation.Our cars had less power also.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:34 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
The link seems to be dead now.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
This is a good map of classifying the US by terrain:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/natio...0/ca000048.jpg

The big mountains in the US are labelled with "D6". Smaller ones D5. More isolated mountainous areas get a C instead of a D.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 AM

Thats a great map ! There are some errors, however understanding how the numbering system works , it does not identify Ranges , only mean elevations I guess for a given area of the country. More like a Topo map on a giant scale.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Thats a great map ! There are some errors, however understanding how the numbering system works , it does not identify Ranges , only mean elevations I guess for a given area of the country. More like a Topo map on a giant scale.
It's actually not mean elevation, but local relief the mean difference between mountaintops and valleys for a given area. So the Colorado Rockies don't get any benefit of extra elevation over the North Cascades.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's actually not mean elevation, but local relief the mean difference between mountaintops and valleys for a given area. So the Colorado Rockies don't get any benefit of extra elevation over the North Cascades.
I see the difference now, by using a number/grade system. This goes right along with my statement " in the west people live in the valleys, in the east we live in the mountains" There are a few exceptions, like Mt Mitchel and Mt Washington but those are not addressed in the relief. You can ask any truck driver which roads he would rather travel on, western mountain areas or eastern highways in, say West Virgina.. its always the western mts. hands down !

Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 AM

7,129 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This is a good map of classifying the US by terrain:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/natio...0/ca000048.jpg

The big mountains in the US are labelled with "D6". Smaller ones D5. More isolated mountainous areas get a C instead of a D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
This really is a good map!

You can see the huge Central Valley of California where much of our food comes from. In the East, you can see the Great Valley which runs from the Deep South way into the Northeast.
Great Appalachian Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You also can see the Hudson and Mohawk Valleys in the Northeast which provides a mostly clear path through the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.