U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:05 PM

24 posts, read 98,502 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm a 23 (soon to be 24) year old from the Boston area and have never lived outside of Massachusetts. I'll be graduating college in December and am looking for somewhere new to live! Here is my wish list for what I'm looking for in a new city; any help would be greatly appreciated! :]

- Nowhere on the east coast
- No extreme heat or cold (I don't mind warmth so much, I just dislike humidity)
- Near water
- Lively, busy city (although doesn't have to be too busy, like New York)
- Public transportation (I would like to be able to walk around without requiring a car)
- Good cultural scene (lots of varying activities to do!)
- Large population of young people
- Life outside of the city (I don't really want to live somewhere that's in the middle of nowhere so that I'm "trapped" if I want to leave)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty lost and would love an input! Thank you! :]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 03:41 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,975,177 times
San Francisco / the Bay Area sounds like the perfect fit.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:47 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,818,281 times
San Diego or Los Angeles definetly!

San Diego is laid back and chill though. Not "busy" in the snese of NYC or Chicago, but it definetly matches all your other criteria

LA fits all of it.

Both cities have cheaper areas and are less expensive than areas north.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:17 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,975,177 times
The SoCal cities are not nearly as walkable as San Francisco, however. It's much more difficult to go without a car in LA.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:23 PM

Yes, but San Francisco/bay area is much much more expensive.

Weather and activities count too! LA and SD has great sunny warm weather with mountains and lakes and gorgeous beaches. Tons to do if you love the outdoors! Both are also a short drive to Las vegas and Palm Springs and of course Mexico!

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 08-05-2010 at 04:41 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 05:05 PM

Thank you for those suggestions! I was actually looking into San Diego already, so good pick!

Could I get around using just public transportation? I'd probably have a car anyway, so I wouldn't need it for my main means of getting around. But I'm used to Boston, where you can hop on the T, go anywhere within the city, and walk around from there. If possible, I would really like something similar in my new city. But I realize with the list of qualifications I have, there aren't too many options!

How so is San Diego "laid back?" While I've been other places, I only really know Boston and New York, both of which are pretty busy cities.

Sorry for all of my questions! Thank you guys for your help!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:11 PM

San Diego is laid back because it is slower pace than NYC, Chicago, Boston etc. It doesn't try to be better than everyone else. It is just a nice relaxing pacific city with lots of outdoor activities to do and many museums to visit! The public transportation could be better, but if you need to get around the immediate city area then it's good but if you need to go throughout the county like the mountains or North County then driving would be best! The public transportation system has had severe budget cuts forcing them to cut back on routes. The train system is called the trolley and is light rail. It has 3 lines going throughout the city and out into East San Diego. The Coaster is a double decker train that goes from Downtown to Oceanside next to the ocean. The Amtrak train departs Downtown and goes all the way up through Los Angeles into San Luis Obispo! Also San Diego website

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 08-05-2010 at 05:24 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Awesome, thank you very much! I'm liking the sound of San Diego. :]

One last question... (I think haha) I'm not a huge "go lay on the beach and swim in the ocean" kind of person, although I do enjoy the water. Would I still be able to find things to do or would I be kind of an outcast?

Old 08-05-2010, 05:27 PM

No there is lots to do! San Diego website!

There's museums, theme parks and you can go hiking in the mountains! There are several lakes too! You can explore Old Town and the first California mission and the famous Balboa Park!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:32 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,809,998 times
I recommend Southern California as well.

San Diego & Los Angeles. San Diego is just right, the city known for perfect weather and has a charming vibe to it. It's a beautiful city with plenty to do and see.

I would have recommended San Francisco but it is way to similar to Boston minus the weather, mountain, & location on the opposite coast. I think you should try something new, or at least newer because you obviously want to leave Boston for a whole different type of lifestyle.

Luckily California has a type of city for everyone. I hold my suggestion to San Diego & Los Angeles though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or