Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:40 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,009 times

Advertisements

Is there a unique area in your state (or city or other attraction) that is well known to the locals, but which people from outside your state or region don't really know about or appreciate as they should? Why do you think people don't know about it?

For New York, I will nominate the Finger Lakes region, which is a triangular area roughly bounded by Rochester, Syracuse and Elmira (or Ithaca).

Finger Lakes Regional Tourism Authority on Places to Stay, Where to Eat and Things to Do - Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance

(AKA the part of New York state that has claw marks on it.)

Unlike touristy parts of upstate NY that are closer to New York City, it still really hasn't been discovered by the super-wealthy (who tend to ruin everything, don't they?) It is a long drive from the places where the super-rich live and work. If it wasn't, I think the super-rich would be swarming over it and it would have the character of the Hamptons - it's that beautiful. Although wealthy people do live and play there, it definitely has a feel of a place that still belongs to everybody - not too expensive to enjoy. There is so much lakeshore available, that nobody can really monopolize it with expensive homes too much. Many of the most beautiful areas are owned by the state and open to the public. Because the lakes are so long, and don't have bridges over them, it's often time-consuming to get from Point A to Point B. I think this has something to do with the "hidden paradise" feeling of the region.

I also think the Finger Lakes wine region is the most beautiful in America although it gets nowhere near the amount of attention as California's Napa Valley, probably again due to its remote location from where wealthy movers and shakers live (downstate) and because New York's liquor laws are bizarre and for many years kept New York wine out of shops around the nation (which meant they didn't get attention from wine magazines and such). Due to the northern climate, the Finger Lakes wineries are best with grapes that grow in colder climes like Riesling, for which they have gotten a great reputation internationally. But, some of the oldest vineyards in America are located here and the scenery is reminiscent of the Rhine Valley of Germany.

The Finger Lakes region is also probably the waterfall capital of the Northeast, there are dozens and dozens and they are everywhere, even in the towns and cities (TALL waterfalls too, in deep gorges).

I'm kind of torn because I think the Finger Lakes ought to be nationally and internationally known as a tourism destination but at the same time, I wouldn't want it ruined by "big money" coming in.

How about in your state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 11:45 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
The cities of Denton, El Paso, Corpus Christi, & Fort Worth are Texas's best kept secrets in a literal context.

From a geographical one, Big Bend National Park son!

Old 08-07-2010, 11:55 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,314 times
Minnesota's best kept secret within the state is SE Minnesota. It doesn't really look like the rest of the state, like the Arrowhead region, but everybody knows the arrowhead region is different. But SE Minnesota is home to rolling hills, bluffs, etc.

wikimedia

Last edited by JMT; 04-01-2018 at 07:06 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 05:41 PM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times
If it's a secret, why would I tell You!!!!! LOL

Harpers Ferry, WV

It is so good, you have to google it for yourself

Old 08-07-2010, 05:56 PM

129 posts, read 191,513 times
In Minneota it's the bluff country SE (pictures above) and North Shore in the NE.

Here' the North Shore:

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2750/duluth.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-07-2010, 07:55 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Natural springs in Florida
Agreed. While all the tourists are at the beach complaining about the hot water, the natives are at the crystal clear springs enjoying 73 degree water .

Old 08-07-2010, 10:34 PM

18 posts, read 38,419 times
I like this thread. Im from Charlotte, NC and i think one of NC's best secrets are the mountains (Appalachian Mts). theyre nice and very scenic. Here are a few pictures at Chimney Rock all of which i have taken...

Thats just a taste. There are plenty more ranges to visit that have great views. Also, another secret i like (especially since i live in charlotte) is that Charlotte can be viewed from Grandfather mountain on a clear day with the correct camera lenses... Charlotte is a 2.5 hr drive from this mountain

http://blueridgeblog.blogs.com/blue_...skyline_01.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 04-01-2018 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 09:25 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Default Palo Duro Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
The cities of Denton, El Paso, Corpus Christi, & Fort Worth are Texas's best kept secrets in a literal context.

From a geographical one, Big Bend National Park son!
Especially Corpus Christi.

As for natural features, Big Bend NP at least appears on the map. Palo Duro Canyon in northern Texas near Amarillo, is a gem most people never heard of.

The state of Texas has established a beautiful state park in a large part of the canyon. If this was a National Park than alot more people would have heard of it.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:40 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
A lot of people even in California don't know that Mt. Lassen is still an active volcano since it is situated in the far north-eastern part of the state.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:11 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
A lot of people even in California don't know that Mt. Lassen is still an active volcano since it is situated in the far north-eastern part of the state.
Yeah, you are correct. I never knew about this active volcano. In fact, I know very little about the northern part of my state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.