U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:37 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,813,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I think in 50 years, declining oil will have created a much different world. I think the people that are left here will be living much more locally, suburbia will be a big scrap heap, and small scale agriculture and town living will be the norm.
That is an interesting way to look at it! I think we should start now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 01:37 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,337,785 times
In 2057, i don't think we will have as much power at all and there is no way we will still be the superpower
my 2cents

Old 06-25-2007, 02:59 PM

653 posts, read 3,135,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r2z0 View Post
In 2057, i don't think we will have as much power at all and there is no way we will still be the superpower
my 2cents
Would think that we would lose that "Superpower" Status WELL BEFORE 2057.
Depends when the oil runs out I suppose.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:41 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,288,291 times
Chrysler will be out of business, but the Mopar loyalists will still be saying "the Germans killed Plymouth!" even though nobody ever truly wants a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth. There are more people who love their Camrys than love all Chrysler crap produced, post K-car. However, all five white people left in the country will continue to keep the Plymouth Acclaim fan club alive with avid support.

Detroit won't make a comeback. Hurricanes will have wiped out Florida. I'll be dead, unless I'm a professor with tenure. These guys never die off!
Blues Brothers will still be the best movie ever.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:54 PM

150 posts, read 481,197 times
oil use will not decline untl the price is right we have this black gold to thank for our current prosparity,the future will tell what hapens next while world proven oil reserves are declinening unconventional oil reserves are still out there. The us holds the worlds largest deposit of oil shale holding 110 years of kerogen that can be made into oil and gas but the price has to be right.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:44 PM

2,867 posts, read 9,948,330 times
Default On the verge of fragmenting

Economic pressures, a deflated dollar (by then, $1.25 or so US to $1.00 Canadian) and ever increasing social and political differences will cause the US to break apart into several countries, roughly as follows:

California; Pacific Northwest; Inter-mountain & Four-corners; Texas; Plains/upper Midwest; Chicago/Gary; Ohio/Pennsylvania-Mid Atlantic; New York (maybe city and state); New England; Southeast; Florida -- though smaller than today because of rising sea levels.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 06-25-2007 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 PM

30,260 posts, read 67,435,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I think in 50 years, declining oil will have created a much different world. I think the people that are left here will be living much more locally, suburbia will be a big scrap heap, and small scale agriculture and town living will be the norm.

We can only hope and dream that this will become a reality. I'm tired of seeing so many trees coming down near me for new ostentatious homes, "lifestyle centers", big-box stores, fast-food places, etc. at the expense of our older, historic communities. Once these people can't utilize their Hummers on a daily basis anymore, perhaps they'll reconsider our land usage policies?

Old 06-25-2007, 07:55 PM

653 posts, read 3,135,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Chrysler will be out of business, but the Mopar loyalists will still be saying "the Germans killed Plymouth!" even though nobody ever truly wants a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth. There are more people who love their Camrys than love all Chrysler crap produced, post K-car. However, all five white people left in the country will continue to keep the Plymouth Acclaim fan club alive with avid support.

Detroit won't make a comeback. Hurricanes will have wiped out Florida. I'll be dead, unless I'm a professor with tenure. These guys never die off!
Blues Brothers will still be the best movie ever.
AMTRAK train #7 (The Sunset Limited), which departed Los Angeles on June 25th, 2007--will Finally arrive at it's destination, Orlando Florida, on June
26th, 2057. It is than that the government realizes it must fund AMTRAK better!!

Old 06-25-2007, 10:48 PM

105 posts, read 296,604 times
Default I know what i see and i hope im not alive for it!

Have you seen the movie "mad max" and "terminator".Combine the two movies and thats what i see.If it aint that bad you better all buy a gun because we will have another civil war.Our government needs to concentrate on our concerns and not every other country , china ignores everybody else but gets more respect from other countries by staying out of their problems.Let every country deal with their own issues.
Seriously we will be fighting and killing for fuel, food and water and some stupid genius will design robots to the point where they think and act on their own.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:05 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,507,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Economic pressures, a deflated dollar (by then, $1.25 or so US to $1.00 Canadian) and ever increasing social and political differences will cause the US to break apart into several countries, roughly as follows:

California; Pacific Northwest; Inter-mountain & Four-corners; Texas; Plains/upper Midwest; Chicago/Gary; Ohio/Pennsylvania-Mid Atlantic; New York (maybe city and state); New England; Southeast; Florida -- though smaller than today because of rising sea levels.
IMO, unless the National Government gains some competency, this would seem like the most politically accurate prediction. But here are my ideas on this:
-The Pacific Northwest and Northern California (as well as Minnesota and probably Wisconsin) will succeed to Canada.
-Southern Cali, And the Southwest Region (Ariz, N.M, Las Vegas Metropolitan, southern & western Texas) will probably align with Mexico and become some Neo-Latin Nation.
-New England will definitely drift into their own Federal Union (similar to the EU), or probably Join Canada as well.
-The South will re-establish the Confederacy (Excluding Texas, South Florida and Northern Virginia)
-South Florida, if it isn't underwater, will align with Cuba and form its own nation.
-The "Heartland," Alaska, and the mountain states will either make their own territory or become the next "no man's land," i.e.: Siberia
-Hawaii will probably go back to being its own nation.
-The Northern Midwest states (As west as Illinois, as south as Maryland and Northern Virginia, and as north as New York and Southeastern Connecticut) will remain as the United States.

As for the social factor, if the unruly, undisciplined, anarchic, bigoted, extremist, anti-intellectualst, gangster ways of the 2000s remains constant, I think that this nation won't even maintain itself as an industrialized nation. A depiction of Mad Max, Terminator, and Fist of the North Star (a post-apocalyptic anime) wouldn't depict even a part of the future of this nation if it continues on this path. Thankfully, I'll probably be a recently retired 70 year-old high-end Western European banker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or