U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:09 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,122,627 times

Advertisements

We have rowhouses in Richmond, but they don't quite look like that. Most of them have large white columns in front and big front porches and verandas.

here's what they look like:

Floyd Ave Row Houses photo - Meade Skelton photos at pbase.com

Fan Apartments.jpg photo - Meade Skelton photos at pbase.com

Linden Row Inn photo - Meade Skelton photos at pbase.com

Fan Row Houses photo - Meade Skelton photos at pbase.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 10:34 PM

6,552 posts, read 13,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I can't find anything about then here in Louisville so I guess we don't have them. (unless it is the same as town houses or patio homes.....)
Louisville actually has a few rowhouses, and of course several urban hoods where the homes nearly touch each other. The housing stock in Louisville looks much different from Cincinnati and St Louis, two river cities nearby with more row houses. Cincinnati has a ton of rowhouses in Over the Rhine.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,568,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
The ones in San Francisco are more ornate and prettier, actually, not like those sample photos. Maybe they just want something colorful and next to each other.
I was refering to the rows, as they were described here. Houses in SF are, indeed, fancier.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,949,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Louisville actually has a few rowhouses, and of course several urban hoods where the homes nearly touch each other. The housing stock in Louisville looks much different from Cincinnati and St Louis, two river cities nearby with more row houses. Cincinnati has a ton of rowhouses in Over the Rhine.
Do you have any pictures? I looked on Google and all I could find were DC and places like that.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:30 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,239,770 times
Quote:
Krudmonk: I was refering to the rows, as they were described here.
Here is a nice link of Albany, New York with some good photos of row houses. Are you planning on relocating, or just researching row houses? Actually, I grew up in one in Buffalo, New York, but not a fancy one -- old military homes that were changed to residential after World War II.

This is a nice link, though:

Wunder Blog : Weather Underground

Good luck!
Wisteria

Old 12-12-2009, 09:26 AM

196 posts, read 539,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
these are from east coast canada.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper285/stills/zleh23w9.jpg (broken link)

http://www.canadacouncil.ca/NR/rdonl.../NIFCO_xlg.jpg

http://www.bbcanada.com/pics/9438n.jpg

are there bright colored, gritty rows like this anywhere in america? anywhere near new england perhaps? all i see in boston are the stone and brick rows

Where are these in East Coast Canada? These are awesome!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:59 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,320,912 times
^ I'd guess Newfoundland

You can find very similar rows in Maine

Old 12-12-2009, 10:27 AM

32,343 posts, read 55,140,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
San Francico has those colors but the homes are not as boxy. New England has rowhouses, but the region is more subdued and visually conservative in its housing, so you may not see the colors there. Maybe Miami area?

yup.

SF is all over those colors, but definitely not that kind of design.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:26 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,315,233 times
St Louis has several neighborhoods with row houses, as a matter of fact, there are some across the street from my house.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:04 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,969,738 times
I know this thread is quite old, but... I don't think there are that many places in the U.S. with exactly the same kind of colorful clapboard rowhouses as in Atlantic Canada.

Architecturally speaking, New England is closest, but most of the colorful clapboard homes are not rowhouses. A few examples:

On the other hand, places like San Francisco and the Georgetown area of Washington DC have a lot of colorful rowhouses, but these are either not clapboards or of a very different architectural style.

Possibly the closest you will find is Annapolis, MD. The architecture is not as heavily dominated by clapboard as in New England or the Atlantic Provinces, but the houses in the old part of town tend to be connected (or close to it) and there is a lot of color.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or