U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:36 PM

586 posts, read 1,562,896 times

Advertisements

The state of New England would certainly be a great, vast and interesting state - just like the existing region of New England but without the borders in between.

The stretch of New England along the I-95 corridor west/south-west of New Haven feels more like the beginning of the NYC/Tri-State Region than an extension of New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,206,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
The state of New England would certainly be a great, vast and interesting state - just like the existing region of New England but without the borders in between.

The stretch of New England along the I-95 corridor west/south-west of New Haven feels more like the beginning of the NYC/Tri-State Region than an extension of New England.
that's because it is!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 PM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
Ask a Republican voting New Hamshire citizen that hates taxes what he thinks about being incorporated into one state with 5 others, and combined politics with "Gasp!!!!" Taxachusetts and you would see one hell of a tea party! These states look small on a map especially when Texas, California, and Florida, but politicly it wouldn't work. Too much history behind it.

I'm glad they reopened this thread, it was well thought out from the getgo by the OP.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 08-09-2010 at 07:21 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 07:06 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,154,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Difference though, from NY to Connecticut, there's no border security...

There aren't people who stand there with guns checking passport while there are barbed wire fences... LOL
Aww you know what I mean lol, it was just the first cross border area I thought of. You wouldn't say DC belongs to MD or VA, or that their areas in it's metro belong to DC. The way people make it sound, it's like there's 2 different CT's, but its' not split. If you go through the whole state, it still all feels like CT. If the split was as drastic as people make it sound, it'd feel like a Norcal vs Socal or upstate vs NYC kinda thing, there's no such split. Oh, here's a good example, Eastern vs Western MA, that feels distinctly split, and it kinda is. CT's not like that.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:09 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,154,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Ask a Republican voting New Hamshire citizen that hates taxes what he thinks about being incorporated into one state with 5 others, and combined politics with "Gasp!!!!" Taxachusetts and you would see one hell of a tea party! These states look small on a map especially when Texas, California, and Florida, but politicly it wouldn't work. Too much histority behind it.

I'm glad they reopened this thread, it was well thought out from the getgo by the OP.
Yeah, there'd be alotta problems lol, but as a single state it'd have alotta potential if things got worked out. I actually imagined the original states would be like larger "counties" (still keeping their own smaller ones) with a large degree of autonomy. All together, they can pool resources and stuff.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,504,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Ask a Republican voting New Hamshire citizen that hates taxes what he thinks about being incorporated into one state with 5 others, and combined politics with "Gasp!!!!" Taxachusetts and you would see one hell of a tea party! These states look small on a map especially when Texas, California, and Florida, but politicly it wouldn't work. Too much history behind it.

At the same time, maybe a larger Republican stronghold in the region would result in some easing of taxes haha. I'm pretty moderate, with liberal leanings...but even I could use less of my money going to the ol' Gov.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:46 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,794,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
At the same time, maybe a larger Republican stronghold in the region would result in some easing of taxes haha. I'm pretty moderate, with liberal leanings...but even I could use less of my money going to the ol' Gov.
I'd rate you for that if I could. Because that's literally what I am, lol.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:58 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,489,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Just curious how the Red Sox nation would like being called yankee, as miss roxy suggests?
Well, there's Yankee as a baseball term, which is, much like the Southern use of the term for Northerners, an appellation of evil. However, New Englanders are strongly aware of history, and know that the original use of the term simply meant people from the colonies. The term is still used today in New England (not so much in Boston but more Northern New England), as a mark of something traditional or slightly old fashioned. Everybody likes some Yankee pot pie, for example.

[edit]
As for the original premise, I'd oppose any move to bind the six states into one. It would hugely dilute our political and electoral strength. Who wants or needs that? For the same reason, I'd oppose efforts to split a larger state into two or more states. What I can see happening, and think will happen, is that states may in many ways start to diminish in favor of regionalism. Most of New England has eliminated counties in favor of multi-town purpose specific authorities. I could see the same trend going across state lines. It's already happening with transportation, as Rhode Island and Massachusetts work together to expand MBTA rail to TF Greene airport and beyond.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:13 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Well, there's Yankee as a baseball term, which is, much like the Southern use of the term for Northerners, an appellation of evil. However, New Englanders are strongly aware of history, and know that the original use of the term simply meant people from the colonies. The term is still used today in New England (not so much in Boston but more Northern New England), as a mark of something traditional or slightly old fashioned. Everybody likes some Yankee pot pie, for example.

It still would seem odd to me because of Baseball, to me it would be like naming the folks from a Mid Atlantic state the Mets (Metropolitans). Association with Mutts, I think the immortal words of Rodney Dangerfield would play in my head "Now I understand why tigers eat their young"

Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,794,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
You wouldn't say DC belongs to MD or VA, or that their areas in it's metro belong to DC.
1. It's a District. The District of Columbia, lol I wouldn't ever say it "belongs" to any state, 12 years of primary public school and 2 years of undergrad, I don't want to make a mistake of saying something as foolish as that. (see my posts above about how I view Washington DC)

2. No I consider NoVA and suburbs in Maryland as exactly that, the outlying metropolitan areas for the city/district of Washington DC. So technically, yes, they are a closely knit area.

Quote:
The way people make it sound, it's like there's 2 different CT's, but its' not split. If you go through the whole state, it still all feels like CT. If the split was as drastic as people make it sound, it'd feel like a Norcal vs Socal or upstate vs NYC kinda thing, there's no such split.
1. I don't know about anyone else here, but I spend a lot of time in California, mostly the Bay Area even though I like SoCal far more. Those two regions of that state in no way remind me of each other. Lush green mountains and valleys in the Northern part of the state, with that more brownish and desert type of mountain setting in Los Angeles and once again going back into lush green mountains in San Diego. The compact and easily walkable Bay Area versus the auto-centric and spread out SoCal.
Mainly the reason why I like both, but give the edge to SoCal.

2. Same thing with Upstate New York & New York City, I like upstate more, Buffalo and it's surrounding areas are very pretty. And in no way does it remind me at all of New York City area.

I think those were the differences you were trying to point out right? I couldn't tell exactly what you meant at first. But I think you were trying to emphasize that there is no split in Connecticut at all like those two above examples.

Quote:
Aww you know what I mean lol
Sometimes, lol. We're rarely ever on the same side, lol basically interpret that for us speaking two different languages with different ideas of both of our perceptions. You're repping the Northeast mostly but keep it fair- and you give props where it deserves to whichever region, I normally rep everything besides Northeast (Everything from California, Arizona, Texas, Illinois, Florida, Colorado)- you guys already have a plethora of posters for Northeast, no need for me to- but I give the NE props for what it is. No right or wrong, you normally do a good job proving your point, or at least try (for "trying" think about to Los Angeles- Washington DC = fail! ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.