U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2010, 05:13 PM
 
Location: CT
1,215 posts, read 2,161,725 times
Reputation: 2008

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I think those were the differences you were trying to point out right? I couldn't tell exactly what you meant at first. But I think you were trying to emphasize that there is no split in Connecticut at all like those two above examples.

Sometimes, lol. We're rarely ever on the same side, lol basically interpret that for us speaking two different languages with different ideas of both of our perceptions. You're repping the Northeast mostly but keep it fair- and you give props where it deserves to whichever region, I normally rep everything besides Northeast (Everything from California, Arizona, Texas, Illinois, Florida, Colorado)- you guys already have a plethora of posters for Northeast, no need for me to- but I give the NE props for what it is. No right or wrong, you normally do a good job proving your point, or at least try (for "trying" think about to Los Angeles- Washington DC = fail! ).
Yup, you got it. That's all I meant, people try make it sound like there's some huge cultural split in the state, like it feels totally different from Hartford to New Haven or something, and it's just not there.

Well I find we're quite often on the same side, it's usually the fair, unbiased, un-making stuff up side lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2010, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
3,931 posts, read 3,063,000 times
Reputation: 2600
New England as a state is an interesting idea I've heard before. I think we would lose too much political power though.

So instead New England should be it's own country. We would excel as our own country, no doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2010, 09:17 PM
 
23 posts, read 60,155 times
Reputation: 22
Well....western Conn is bedroom community for NYC, but remainder could be included the the state called New England. Conn is one of those states without its own identity (except ticks)....nothing really stands out on its own. Good beaches...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
16,827 posts, read 23,279,472 times
Reputation: 5888
Perhaps there is no other state that embraces suburban lifestyle more than Connecticut. You have the Hartford area and its burbs, the New London area and its burbs, and then the NYC Metro area which includes the satellite cities of Bridgeport, Danbury, New Haven, Norwalk, Stamford and Waterbury. Actually more than 50% of the state's population technically lives in the NYC area and the majority of Connecticans are Yanks rooters. This doesn't mean that these people work in NYC everyday, of course, because towns near Waterbury can be a 90 minute drive into city limits.

Of course, it's still New England, but a different flavor of New England. You have white picket fences, stone walls, old clapboard homes, town greens and white churches less than a mile away from an interstate with signs warning you "Delay: Next 23 miles." CT certainly has some of the worst traffic in the nation - not what most people think about when they think 'New England'. Life is faster in central and southern CT than much of New England; people more impatient; more type A personalities; more "competition". Ruder (?), if you will.

If New England were going to be a state, anything west of the Connecticut river (in CT) would most likely object.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 PM
 
Location: CT
1,215 posts, read 2,161,725 times
Reputation: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugdoglover View Post
Well....western Conn is bedroom community for NYC, but remainder could be included the the state called New England. Conn is one of those states without its own identity (except ticks).... nothing really stands out on its own. Good beaches...
Yeah, funny. So have you lived here long, or are you basing that off a few trips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Boston
23 posts, read 48,095 times
Reputation: 12
I think a lot of New Englanders relate with each other. I always felt that New England was unique because we each kind of pull for each other. I know being a Bostonian might make me a bit selfish about the city, but I consider it New England's city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 01:49 AM
JBM
 
Location: New Mexico!
558 posts, read 935,065 times
Reputation: 490
New England as a state would LOSE power at the federal level... It would only have two senators as opposed to the current 12 that New England has together. Unless we get the Senate abolished, then the individual states are probably better off operating as a region rather than a collective state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2010, 03:05 AM
 
Location: CT
1,215 posts, read 2,161,725 times
Reputation: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw_ch3_ch2_oh View Post
I think a lot of New Englanders relate with each other. I always felt that New England was unique because we each kind of pull for each other. I know being a Bostonian might make me a bit selfish about the city, but I consider it New England's city.
Yeah, We have some differences, but I don't think any other pairs or groups of states can match New England's closeness and bonds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
New England as a state would LOSE power at the federal level... It would only have two senators as opposed to the current 12 that New England has together. Unless we get the Senate abolished, then the individual states are probably better off operating as a region rather than a collective state.
True lol, that would suck, guess there's no way around that. The states would probably be better off separate for alotta reasons, but it's still fun to think about, as one it'd be a really really great, impressive state. Not that the individual parts aren't already great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 12:54 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,593 posts, read 17,854,206 times
Reputation: 31057
When I was a kid looking at maps, I always thought --and this will rankle some people here :-) -- that New England, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania if combined and then seceded from the Union could form a viable country.

-NYC and Boston would be the trade and government capitals, respectively, and Western NY and PA would be the breadbasket.

-Between the regions there is enough mineral wealth and industry to be at least reasonably self-sufficient. The access provided from the Great Lakes to the Atlantic would make us a transportation lynch-pin between the U.S. and European markets.

-With NYC, Boston, Philly, and Pittsburgh we could maintain interesting sports leagues and some degree of cultural variability.

At least that was my theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,549,465 times
Reputation: 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When I was a kid looking at maps, I always thought --and this will rankle some people here :-) -- that New England, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania if combined and then seceded from the Union could form a viable country.

-NYC and Boston would be the trade and government capitals, respectively, and Western NY and PA would be the breadbasket.

-Between the regions there is enough mineral wealth and industry to be at least reasonably self-sufficient. The access provided from the Great Lakes to the Atlantic would make us a transportation lynch-pin between the U.S. and European markets.

-With NYC, Boston, Philly, and Pittsburgh we could maintain interesting sports leagues and some degree of cultural variability.

At least that was my theory.
That'd be very interesting, +1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top