Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:50 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,383,777 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I apologize for all of the stereotypical and ignorant things I've posted over the past two years about Southerners and the South. Looking back over my posts, I realize I basically made the South look like an ignorant, backwater locale. I've offended many and much of what I've posted has been uncalled for. Please forgive me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 12:02 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,989,091 times
Flyingwriter, I told myself I wouldn't ever post again on this website besides one more video in the accent thread and after that I will ask for my account to be banned later on, however this thread is worth posting in. But until that happens I guess I can make a few more posts here and kill of the last few days of time I have here until I ask to be gone for good. (For clarification to the mods, no I don't mean right now, please don't do it right now! I still need to get that video in!!) I have grown to not like what I see here, too much hatred haha all the time. And besides I really love getting outdoors and spending time doing something constructive, if you want to relieve stress, I suggest Kayaking to anyone interested. Did that twice this month.

If this site even has 10% of the true American portrayal that I hope it has, the readers of the region you're addressing will forgive you. I hope they do. You're apology is very sincere, and you should be commended for your honesty.

Last edited by DANNYY; 09-19-2010 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 12:08 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,355,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Flyingwriter, I told myself I wouldn't ever post again on this website besides one more video in the accent thread and after that I will ask for my account to be banned later on, however this thread is worth posting in. But until that happens I guess I can make a few more posts here and kill of the last few days of time I have here until I ask to be gone for good. I have grown to not like what I see here, too much hatred haha all the time.

If this site even has 10% of the American portrayal that I hope it has, the readers of the region you're addressing will forgive you. I hope they do. You're apology is very sincere, and you should be commended for your honesty.
Danny; why are you leaving C-D? You are one of the most sincere and honest posters.

But I also commend the OP for being courageous and admitting when he/ she made a mistake. I often take a less than courteous approach with the South but mainly Republicans and write nasty things sometimes that I later regret. It is much better to disagree without name-calling.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:12 PM

803 posts, read 1,261,432 times
Lived in the south for 6 years so technically I am a Southerner, you are forgiven, even though most of what you said is true xD

Old 09-19-2010, 12:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,989,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Danny; why are you leaving C-D? You are one of the most sincere and honest posters.
Haha. My biggest flaw is that I am an optimist, sometimes a realist. I cant handle pessimism or anything bad much of the time. To prove a point, most times I can boost about a place but never put a place down or anyone for that matter. It just eats my conscience away right then or possibly later.
I guess being around that on this site has really made me realize that I need to enjoy life that much more and get to see the scenery around me (I've been going to school in Austin for 2 years now, but have yet to see so much! I can get the opportunity to feel at one with my city for the first time), the things said and argued here aren't the truth. I've enjoyed so much about every place I've visited, and an open mind can help you anywhere you go. And also my girlfriend told me I need to stop being such a internet nerd. Hahaha.

But while we're on topic though, I apologize to anyone that I may have offended on this site in the past. Most times I think people let their feelings and emotions get the best of them on here.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:04 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,561,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Hello,

I apologize for all of the stereotypical and ignorant things I've posted over the past two years about Southerners and the South. Looking back over my posts, I realize I basically made the South look like an ignorant, backwater locale. I've offended many and much of what I've posted has been uncalled for. Please forgive me.
Speaking as a native Texan who bleeds Southern gray with Lone Stars, I can honestly say I have never seen anything you have ever posted which was insulting to the South. Hell, if I had of, I would have been one of the first to take issue.

Seriously, unless I missed something, I have never read anything by you that can be construed as deliberately hateful toward the South.

Just because one doesn't think the South is for them, or has a way of life/living that makes them prefer somewhere else doesn't necessarily translate into that they have a superiority complex about it.

Believe me there are plenty on C-D who make no secret of their disdain for the South and Southerners. Even worse, many of the type live down here and still ridicule and insult...and never quite connect the dots as to why they are not exactly accepted with open arms.

You don't strike as one of that type. You offer constructive critisism and contrasts sometime -- and many of us do not agree with what you say -- but it is never in a truly negative way.

Bottom line is, I don't think you have ever done anything to apologize for. But the fact you did speaks highly of your character!

...even if you are a damyankee! (just kidding!)

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-19-2010 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 02:13 PM

124 posts, read 325,892 times
Wow, flyingwriter... It takes courage to analyze one's own perspective, and take responsibility for one's previous actions -- and it takes even more courage to admit mistakes publicly. I commend you for that.

I'm not officially a "Southerner" (although I've lived here in NC for several years and also spent a short time living in Louisiana) -- so I don't know if I have the "authority" to forgive you in that capacity -- but after growing up in the great state of Minnesota, I've grown to truly love my new home here below the Mason-Dixon line, and occasionally feel the need to defend it against generalized, untrue and slanderous statements. I appreciate the fact that you are willing to at least re-think your perspective on this area. (And, I think if you came for a visit, you'd be surprised to find a few similarities between "outstate" Minnesota and parts of rural central North Carolina!)

I also enjoy the privilege of spending some great vacations back up in the "Land of Sky-Blue Waters" and I'm glad you love your new home in MN.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:18 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,571,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Flyingwriter, I told myself I wouldn't ever post again on this website besides one more video in the accent thread and after that I will ask for my account to be banned later on, however this thread is worth posting in. But until that happens I guess I can make a few more posts here and kill of the last few days of time I have here until I ask to be gone for good. (For clarification to the mods, no I don't mean right now, please don't do it right now! I still need to get that video in!!) I have grown to not like what I see here, too much hatred haha all the time. And besides I really love getting outdoors and spending time doing something constructive, if you want to relieve stress, I suggest Kayaking to anyone interested. Did that twice this month.

If this site even has 10% of the true American portrayal that I hope it has, the readers of the region you're addressing will forgive you. I hope they do. You're apology is very sincere, and you should be commended for your honesty.
Danny,
I know I am not perfect and the most liked on this site, but I took a break from here months ago because I couldn't take all of the ignorant posts. I have recently come back and am surprised that I can still be on here even though I have still encountered ignorance, and not only that, problems with other posters as well. It really helps me to just say "Who cares?" when I read a silly post. Another thing that helps me is posting in other forums on this site. There really are some good, down-to-earth, people on here. I don't know what happened to me those few months ago( I think this happens to all CD posters once they stick on here for awhile), but I'm beginning to just let things slide more often. I would definitely hate to see you go, but with whatever decision you make, I know you will find the happiness in it.

Flyingwriter, I never felt insulted enough by you for you to make an apology. I assume others have had different experiences. With that, I'm glad you have realized the things you have said that may have insulted people. Sometimes it takes people years and years to realize the things they say.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:38 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,859,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Hello,

what brought about this apology?

Old 09-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,038,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what brought about this apology?
Since the answer to that will likely derail the thread, I hope it will be shared via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.