Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, this post was made by missRoxyhart in the City-vs-City section but it was locked because it's not really comparing anything. However it is interesting and I think it's appropriate for this room (if it's not, I'm sure the mods will let me know).

So what do you guys think about the state of New England?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
If New England was a state...

It would be the 5th most populated state out of 44 at roughly 14,483,000, underneath Florida's 18,600,000, and beating out Illinois' 13,000,000.

It would be 10th out 44 in population density with 221.66 inhabitants/sq mi, below Illinois' 231.2, and above Hawaii's 199.8.
3/4 of the population would be in Southern New England (MA, RI, CT) with a population density of 786.83/sq mi, while the remaining quarter in Northern New England (NH, VT, ME) would be 63.56/sq mi.

The top ten most populous cities would be...
1. Boston, MA: 645,169 (4,522,858) Metro
2. Worcester, MA: 182,596
3. Providence, RI: 175,600 (1,600,956)
4. Springfield, MA: 150,640 (682,657)
5. Bridgeport, CT: 136,405 (902,775)
6. Hartford, CT: 124,062 (1,188,241)
7. New Haven, CT: 123,330 (846,766)
8. Stamford, CT: 119,303 (902,775)
9. Manchester, NH: 109,395
10. Waterbury, CT: 107,037 (210,000)

The likely Capital would be Boston.

It would be ranked 4th out of 44 by GDP with $763.7 billion, under New York's 1,144,481 , and above Florida's 744,120.

It would be 18th in area out of 44 with 71,991.8 sq mi, under South Dakota's 77,116.49, and above Washington's 71,299.64.

New England has six mainline interstates running through it, I-84, I-90, I-89, I-91, I-93, and I-95.
The longest River would be the Connecticut River at 407 mi.
Likely demonyms would be, New Englander, or Yankee.

It would rank very highly (most likely number 1) in education, with...
4 of the 8 Ivy League Schools
MIT
The Little Three
4 of the original Seven Sisters
The bulk of institutions identified as the Little Ivies
The Five Colleges consortium in western MA

New England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was just for fun, I thought people might be interested in this, I was. You can compare it to your state, and feel free to add stuff I missed, like number of F500 companies, something about it's history, or anything you might think is important that I missed.

Sorry if this should be in General US, seemed like a "vs" to me cause I thought people could compare this against their own states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 12:19 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Pretty cool but no Mid Atlantic state

In all honesty, and i saw this post after it was shut down, it would be a pretty diverse, economically viable, and beautiful state. Kind of how I view the region as a whole.

CT seem the outlier though, especially the SW portion

Alsways wondered where CT fit better but maybe a topic for another thread

BTW - nice work missRoxyheart

Old 08-09-2010, 12:19 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Go for it.

New England as a state would seem more logical than Mid-Atlantic as a state...

Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Yea because I think New England is the only region in the country where the states are connected like they are. Boston is viewed as the hub of the entire region. With the exception of some of SW Connecticut, the teams followed by this region are the Sox, Celts, Pats, and B's. In many ways it does seem to act like a state but with their own regional governments.

There are arguments about whether DC is Northeastern, Mid-Atlantic, Southern, etc...but New England is New England. There is no argument about it. Yes, SW Connecticut is more influenced by NYC than Boston, but it's still part of New England.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea because I think New England is the only region in the country where the states are connected like they are. Boston is viewed as the hub of the entire region. With the exception of some of SW Connecticut, the teams followed by this region are the Sox, Celts, Pats, and B's. In many ways it does seem to act like a state but with their own regional governments.

There are arguments about whether DC is Northeastern, Mid-Atlantic, Southern, etc...but New England is New England. There is no argument about it. Yes, SW Connecticut is more influenced by NYC than Boston, but it's still part of New England.
I might be the only one for this, but I view it for what it is. Neither Northern or Southern. I see it as a district of it's own, solely independent.

It is a District, meant to be a neutral location in the country, separated from a region, thus capital was moved from Philadelphia in the first place.

It is a district, IMHO, and not apart of any region. The suburbs north are Northeastern, the suburbs south are southern despite cultural similarities of the MSA as a whole. That is how I view it.

It is like saying, is Texarkana in Texas or Arkansas, the answer is both states. It influences both states, but Arkansas more since it's a larger city for them than it is for Texas.

Washington DC is a neutral city, a district not apart of any region, but presently more influenced by Northeast due to proximity and close binding location to Baltimore, Philadelphia, etc... lol.

But that is a topic for yet another thread.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I might be the only one for this, but I view it for what it is. Neither Northern or Southern. I see it as a district of it's own, solely independent.

It is a District, meant to be a neutral location in the country, separated from a region, thus capital was moved from Philadelphia in the first place.

It is a district, IMHO, and not apart of any region. The suburbs north are Northeastern, the suburbs south are southern despite cultural similarities of the MSA as a whole. That is how I view it.

It is like saying, is Texarkana in Texas or Arkansas, the answer is both states. It influences both states, but Arkansas more since it's a larger city for them than it is for Texas.

Washington DC is a neutral city, a district not apart of any region, but presently more influenced by Northeast due to proximity and close binding location to Baltimore, Philadelphia, etc... lol.

But that is a topic for yet another thread.
Definitely...but there are others who will ignore all that and say "well it's below the M-D line, so it's Southern". But there is no argument about New England. It's clear-cut. Therefore I think that's why it would be the easiest to consider becoming its own state.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Definitely...but there are others who will ignore all that and say "well it's below the M-D line, so it's Southern". But there is no argument about New England. It's clear-cut. Therefore I think that's why it would be the easiest to consider becoming its own state.
Definitely man, people will always make it into a bragging contest.

Well it gets more commuters from the Northeast it is (insert mileage here) closer to Philly than to Atlanta.

Well it was established to be a Southern city... it borders a Southern state...etc...

People fight over the most pointless things. Washington DC does it's own thing, it doesn't try to copy culture of Atlanta or Philadelphia!

I don't really go off region in general, people who think regionally IMHO are too much into their own corner of the world. But on sites like these, it's for the fun of comparison. I can only hope it's just that, and that people literally in real life don't take it that seriously!

United States of America.

I know you'll agree with me on that much, boundaries on a national level don't make a difference, if Seattle was placed as the best for something, it makes our country altogether look baller, not just Washington. Same for any city really.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:01 PM

Yea people often get wayyyyy too territorial on this site. I'm definitely guilty of it, but I think at one point or another we all have.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:09 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,580 times
Quote:
Hey guys, this post was made by missRoxyhart in the City-vs-City section but it was locked because it's not really comparing anything. However it is interesting and I think it's appropriate for this room (if it's not, I'm sure the mods will let me know).

So what do you guys think about the state of New England?

I'd rather see the upper new england states be one state.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Just curious how the Red Sox nation would like being called yankee, as miss roxy suggests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.