U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 PM

64 posts, read 107,497 times

Advertisements

For those who have lived on both coasts or coastal states, could you please tell me what you liked and disliked about each? I'm considering a switch from the East Coast to West, but they seem so different and I want a change, but not complete shock.Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:23 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Bump.

Lady, I think it might help if you told people where you lived on the East Coast, and some parts of the West Coast you are interested in. Unfortunately, I have never lived on the West Coast so I cannot describe the differences to you.

The one thing that I can say (because it is pretty obvious) is that the West Coast has much more grander natural scenery compared to most places on the East Coast.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:52 PM

64 posts, read 107,497 times
Va

Old 08-10-2010, 12:51 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,490,108 times
I grew up in California, now live in New England. Speaking just of the beach/coast, New England is far rockier, and filled with a series of inlets and bays. With the exception of Cape Cod, you don't really see long strands of sandy beach, whereas in California, that is quite common. As far as the people and lifestyles go, I don't see significant differences. This usually surprises people, but both places have a strong reverence for the sea and her traditions, be it New England fisheries or surfing, the cultures are heavily influenced by the ocean. I think in both cases that gives people the sense that there is something large and powerful and not controllable that impacts our lives, and we respond to it by taking a casual approach to life.

I don't know enough about Virginia to get a sense of whether you'll see similarities. My knowledge of VA primarily relates to metro-DC, where I could easily conclude that there is no ocean at all.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:44 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,412,818 times
I think it's going to vary tremendously by specific locations on both coasts. I never felt that there was one way to define the East Coast versus the West, other than the obvious, like, as mentioned, the difference in geography and scenery. (we lived in a couple of states in the east, including Virginia, and then in a couple of places in California)

What part of the west coast are you considering? There are definitely differences between Virginia and the west coast, but what kind of differences will depend on what areas you're considering in the west.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
In my experience the folks on the east coast were a little more rough around the edges and direct....probably a result of the extreme weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or