U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:59 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,658,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
SD is nice in parts, average in parts, and "blah" is parts. Just like every other city.
Well put. But all in all, it has more going for it than most other cities in this country. A lot depends on what a particular person desires in a city. If someone's main requirements for a city are a nice sunny climate and lots of opportunities to engage in water sports (and money is no object in terms of buying a house), then I would say it is an ideal city for that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 11:49 AM

4,962 posts, read 7,624,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Well put. But all in all, it has more going for it than most other cities in this country. A lot depends on what a particular person desires in a city. If someone's main requirements for a city are a nice sunny climate and lots of opportunities to engage in water sports (and money is no object in terms of buying a house), then I would say it is an ideal city for that person.
I think most folks immediately latch on to the weather and beach/ocean qualities as the most prominent icons of San Diego, and while this is a great start there is more to the city than that.

It absolutely is not perfect, the descriptions of sprawl, traffic and expense are apt, but they mostly describe the outlying areas. I miss the rain, and wish there were more trees in the area, but the interesting topography with Torrey pine groves and coastal sage with wildlife right on the coast and in the canyons right in the heart of the city make it very livable. Flying into San Diego after the green of spring is gone can look depressingly dry but you can find pockets of lush treed areas if you know where to look- like my garden, right downtown but adjacent one of our great canyons:

[IMG][/IMG]

In my opinion what make it a not-quite-great but up-and-coming city are a vibrant, clean and compact downtown; you can actually walk from end to end from the bay to the ballpark, or up to Balboa Park with its over 1200 acres (larger than central park), 15 museums, zoo and theaters. Also, the resurgence of downtown has spilled out to the older street-car suburbs surrounding Balboa Park; each of these neighborhoods has its own renaissance of new restaurants, beer pubs, art and music shows and a population of urbanites investing heavily into the vintage housing stock (like mine SOUTH PARK San Diego ).

San Diego compares nicely with Seattle, Portland, Philadelphia, Minneapolis and Austin as cities that all have generally awesome core areas, and also plenty of blah suburbs and big city problems like traffic and sprawl. Its just that San Diego does have nearly perfect weather, great geography, very low crime and its pretty cool to be able to pop on over to La Jolla Cove and swim with the seals, dolphins, rays and sharks (harmless leopards) in just a few minutes.

I could probably live in each of those cities though as long as I had a cool old house in a great old walkable neighborhood adjacent downtown like I do here; that's the best part in any city.

Last edited by T. Damon; 08-14-2010 at 12:37 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 12:12 PM

244 posts, read 503,978 times
I've been to San Diego...I didn't like it at all.

Why do people call San Diego beautiful? Am I missing something? So brown, dry, bland/"plain" looking. I don't find it attractive.

It's also really boring. The people are way too homogeneous.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:16 PM

4,962 posts, read 7,624,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post

Why do people call San Diego beautiful? Am I missing something? So brown, dry, bland/"plain" looking. I don't really find it attractive.

You must be a hoot to travel with!

Old 08-14-2010, 02:04 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,475,014 times
Quote:

Why do people call San Diego beautiful? Am I missing something? So brown, dry, bland/"plain" looking. I don't find it attractive.
Yes, you are missing quite a lot cuz you gotta be blind not to see SD's natural beauty. Yeah this type of setting is so "bland/plain" looking:

Quote:
SD offers everything a city it's size elsewhere does plus with a climate and setting that most don't have; professional sports with a downtown stadium, museums, street fests, music fests, beaches, abundant recreational activities, theme parks, deserts and mountains close by, etc.. I guess if you sit in your hotel and don't try to do anything then anyplace will be boring. It's also one of the most diverse metros in the country, it may not have the hyper diversity of NYC or LA but it's more diverse the majority of places out there.

San Diego among major melting pots in the U.S. - SignOnSanDiego.com

SD isn't perfect at all but no city is or comes close. It has many of the same problems as elsewhere but it's in a very unique climate and setting which sets it apart from many other places.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:30 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,828,403 times
Quote:

yes, clearly you're blind

yup, looks ugly to me!

Old 08-14-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
yes, clearly you're blind

yup, looks ugly to me!

Please hold your horses.

I never said San Diego was ugly. I said it was bland. And I still believe so.

And nothing in any of these pictures impressed me...which brings me back to my original point -- San Diego didn't impress me.

Its a good city for the average American, but not for me. It's good I went, but I can't see myself ever going again. What in San Diego would compel me to go back?

Old 08-14-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yes, you are missing quite a lot cuz you gotta be blind not to see SD's natural beauty. Yeah this type of setting is so "bland/plain" looking:

SD offers everything a city it's size elsewhere does plus with a climate and setting that most don't have; professional sports with a downtown stadium, museums, street fests, music fests, beaches, abundant recreational activities, theme parks, deserts and mountains close by, etc.. I guess if you sit in your hotel and don't try to do anything then anyplace will be boring. It's also one of the most diverse metros in the country, it may not have the hyper diversity of NYC or LA but it's more diverse the majority of places out there.

San Diego among major melting pots in the U.S. - SignOnSanDiego.com

SD isn't perfect at all but no city is or comes close. It has many of the same problems as elsewhere but it's in a very unique climate and setting which sets it apart from many other places.

It may very well be diverse (I don't know but I never really saw it), but the scene is way too Abercrombie & Fitch, aging frat boy for me. And i'm not necessarily talking about racial diversity. The people just seemed too homogeneous.

I prefer someplace a little bit more serious, worldly and sophisticated!

Old 08-14-2010, 03:09 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,828,403 times
oh yeah because bland doesn't mean "ugly" Don't kid yourself. you siad it was too brown and I disputed that to show you it is not.

San Diego offers a little of everything. Beaches, weather, mountains, hills, museums, sports teams, theme parks, hiking, biking, and even snow in the mountains. it's close to LA and Mexico. Anyone who says it's bland or ugly is obviously blind. If all you do is sit in your hotel room than yeah anything will be boring. Outside of the museums, Washington DC is boring.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
oh yeah because bland doesn't mean "ugly" Don't kid yourself. you siad it was too brown and I disputed that to show you it is not.

San Diego offers a little of everything. Beaches, weather, mountains, hills, museums, sports teams, theme parks, hiking, biking, and even snow in the mountains. it's close to LA and Mexico. Anyone who says it's bland or ugly is obviously blind. If all you do is sit in your hotel room than yeah anything will be boring. Outside of the museums, Washington DC is boring.
Pick up a dictionary. Bland does not equal ugly.

And thanks for reminding me why San Diego isn't for me -- I don't care about mountains, hills or hiking. I hate outdoorsy things. I only like the beach in very (very) moderate intervals (like 4 times a year-- tops). I certainly don't care about theme parks. At 24, I think I'm a bit too old for theme parks. And the museums in San Diego are what I'd refer to as third-rate (at best).

San Diego just isn't my thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.