U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:19 PM

15,469 posts, read 25,561,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
It may very well be diverse (I don't know but I never really saw it), but the scene is way too Abercrombie & Fitch, aging frat boy for me. And i'm not necessarily talking about racial diversity. The people just seemed too homogeneous.
There's definitely more than one "scene" in SD. Parts of SD have that urban yuppie/hipster vibe that would seem more your liking. I'm not sure why people think they know what a city is all about from a short visit.
Quote:
I prefer someplace a little bit more serious, worldly and sophisticated!
Fair enough, it's definitely not the best place for people to live out their Sex and the City fantasy lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 03:26 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,850,147 times
Quote:
It may very well be diverse (I don't know but I never really saw it), but the scene is way too Abercrombie & Fitch, aging frat boy for me. And i'm not necessarily talking about racial diversity. The people just seemed too homogeneous.

I prefer someplace a little bit more serious, worldly and sophisticated!
I think you can't make a fair judgement if you only went once or a few times for a few days. there is so much to explore in San Diego, that a few days doesn't really cut it. There's Hillcrest, Ocean Beach, North Park, University Heights are all upscale and hipster like . It sounds like you just stayed around your hotel and didn't do much of anything otherwise you would see that there are many yuppie/professional/hipster

Take a tour of San Diego's urban neighborhoods

Old 08-14-2010, 03:33 PM

4,990 posts, read 7,668,833 times
Quote:
Pick up a dictionary. Bland does not equal ugly.

And thanks for reminding me why San Diego isn't for me -- I don't care about mountains, hills or hiking. I hate outdoorsy things. I only like the beach in very (very) moderate intervals (like 4 times a year-- tops). I certainly don't care about theme parks. At 24, I think I'm a bit too old for theme parks. And the museums in San Diego are what I'd refer to as third-rate (at best).

San Diego just isn't my thing.
Clearly he is way too sophisticated for our sleepy, bland white bread, too much outdoors(?) 3rd rate city.

It has been said one can find all the major personality types represented in the characters of A. A. Milne's "Winnie the Pooh.

You my friend are an Eeyore, and way before your time.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:36 PM

244 posts, read 505,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
I think you can't make a fair judgement if you only went once or a few times for a few days. there is so much to explore in San Diego, that a few days doesn't really cut it. There's Hillcrest, Ocean Beach, North Park, University Heights are all upscale and hipster like . It sounds like you just stayed around your hotel and didn't do much of anything otherwise you would see that there are many yuppie/professional/hipster

Take a tour of San Diego's urban neighborhoods
As I've said, San Diego is NOT a terrible city. It's just not for me.

For your average American family, San Diego is wonderful. Most Americans could care less about density, museums and shopping. San Diego is better than the vast majority of the cities in the United States.

San Diego is a fine American city, but it's just not a city suited for a typical city snob.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:42 PM

16 posts, read 29,972 times
That climate sounds horrid and boring. It's way expensive. I hate mountains.

Perfect city for me? Somewhere in Ohio, likely. I like a grittier town, it seems more "real" to me. I'll take Cincinnati, Cleveland, or Toledo over anywhere on the west coast!

Old 08-14-2010, 04:31 PM

4,990 posts, read 7,668,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loop636 View Post
That climate sounds horrid and boring. It's way expensive. I hate mountains.

Perfect city for me? Somewhere in Ohio, likely. I like a grittier town, it seems more "real" to me. I'll take Cincinnati, Cleveland, or Toledo over anywhere on the west coast!
Now that's a good honest opinion- though it doesn't seem like you've actually been here- at least your opinion is based on some good assessments. I'm totally with you on it.

If I were to find myself in Ohio (I've been, but not for decades), I sure as hell wouldn't pout- "Its too flat here. We have way better beaches in San Diego. Where are the broadway type shows?"

I would say: "Damn, its beautiful here with all the trees. Show me a world class museum like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Let's go tour some great blue-collar ethnic neighborhoods and see a live band and play some pool in a local dive bar. I sure do love this summer rain storm!"

Now it might not be a place where I would it find perfect for me to live.- but I sure could find something great about it and have a totally fun time there.-(anywhere but Cincinnati, too freakishly conservative for me haha)

Last edited by T. Damon; 08-14-2010 at 04:40 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 06:39 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,297,231 times
San Diego gets very little rainfall so yes, the hillsides turn brown once winter is over but that occurs all over California since the climate is "Mediterranean." You never have to worry about a picnic being rained out or a baseball game. Some people find the climate boring but I'd rather have a boring climate that is sunny and warm that a boring climate that is cloudy and cold. But there are many trees in San Diego and many are beautiful palms that can not grow in most of the U.S. instead the usual trees that grow everywhere.

Here's are a few glimpses of San Diego:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.