U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 04:41 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
That was 1990

I was a newborn.

Anyone older people remember if it was a big deal?

Do average non city data people even care about the population of cities?
I heard stuff on the news for Philly/Phoenix, so I guess people do talk about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
If Houston overtook Chicago in population, it'd be like NOOOOOOOOOO!!!
lol, why would you care? or are you being sarcastic?? you never know online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 04:42 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,751,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
nah, news people love talking about migrations and trends. when Phoenix passed Philly there was this whole westward thing.

The news people will spin it as the north draining out and the south taking over. with two of the top 3 cities in the US being in the sunbelt. That story will be spun 12 ways till sunday

Old 01-14-2011, 04:47 PM

I wonder how many people follow migration trends just because the media says so.

Like how many people pack up and head to Texas because they heard there are a lot of jobs there?

I can't believe people move without jobs.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:52 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,751,606 times
Quote:
I wonder how many people follow migration trends just because the media says so.

Like how many people pack up and head to Texas because they heard there are a lot of jobs there?

I can't believe people move without jobs.

Well I have a friend who packed up & moved down there with her three children but couldn't find a job. She came back months later so displeased.

However, she loved Houston.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:57 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
Quote:
Very many probably do. It's why there are ~24,000 unfilled job openings in Pittsburgh with an average salary of ~$40K.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:58 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,262,442 times
Damn can Texas handle that much growth that fast? I hope you guys have some smart people leading govts. down there else it's gonna be a nightmare.

My big thing with migration trends is sports. Many Sunbelt cities (some obvious Texas teams not included) are generally known for some of the worst attendance rates in any of the big four leagues. As people keep moving from the Midwest/Northeast to these cities, are their kids' gonna keep their parents' teams or will they adopt the ones of their new homes? It's just interesting to me because I think sports "nations" tell a lot about an area's culture.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Very many probably do. It's why there are ~24,000 unfilled job openings in Pittsburgh with an average salary of ~$40K.
see, and Houston has lots of unemployment. I see things like 15 000 jobs created, yet unemployment climbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Damn can Texas handle that much growth that fast? I hope you guys have some smart people leading govts. down there else it's gonna be a nightmare.
Texas has been handling it for many decades now. The city of Houston has been getting like 350, 000 people each decade for 5 out of the last 6 decades. It is not a new thing

Old 01-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Well I have a friend who packed up & moved down there with her three children but couldn't find a job. She came back months later so displeased.

However, she loved Houston.
lol, what was she thinking??? lol at least she liked it she would have probably loved it more if she could afford to eat in the restaurants and go out regularly

Old 01-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
Some off topic posts above were deleted. Please remember what the topic of the thread is and the fact that you're posting in the General US forum, rather than a state forum.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:24 PM

740 posts, read 1,019,730 times
I didn't read all the posts, but I read a few....

I don't think that the population stats of both of these great cities will change much in the next decade. I don't think either Houston or Chicago will drop in their spots as #3 and #4. If anything, if there is coming a change in the population count, I think that Chicago and Houston's population will go up. But they probably will maintain the #3 and 4 spots. JMHO.

I'm always amazed tho, at how a few people, whenever there is a comparison of Houston to any other city, will always take the opportunity to bash it. It's like clockwork. Must mean that Houston is doing something right....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or