U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 03:42 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,395,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Houston doesn't have to do a thing to catch Chicago. They don't need to annex or go vertical.

Houston is growing, and Chicago is shrinking, so you just wait for the two populations to intersect, which will happen eventually.

And with the record-breaking tax increases in Illinois, it will likely come sooner rather than later.
They see me trollin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 05:29 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,126,756 times
Eventually Houston will overtake Chicago in population. Phoenix and Dallas are way too far behind to catch either Houston or Chicago. Other than bragging rights, it won't really change a thing for Houston or Chicago. Chicago will still be the #2 most economically important (although LA has a larger economy) at least in the 21st century.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:44 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Eventually Houston will overtake Chicago in population. Phoenix and Dallas are way too far behind to catch either Houston or Chicago. Other than bragging rights, it won't really change a thing for Houston or Chicago. Chicago will still be the #2 most economically important (although LA has a larger economy) at least in the 21st century.

What are you basing that on??

Old 01-16-2011, 05:48 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,126,756 times
The financial industry, the banking industry, the home of the Merc. All the companies that have their actual HQ or regional HQ in Chicago.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The financial industry, the banking industry, the home of the Merc. All the companies that have their actual HQ or regional HQ in Chicago.

so you don't think the shipping and entertainment industry in LA is important??

Old 01-16-2011, 05:59 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,789,990 times
He's right, Mastercard and every other business ranking analysts has Chicago as America's 2nd most important business center. It's the 2nd most important financial center, the most important commodities exchange center, one of the main banking centers in the country. Shipping and transportation is Chicago's child, it pulls away from everyone else in the country with that. Entertainment, as in? The Film Industry is mostly based in New York City now, New York City has 5 out of the Big 6 Film Production Companies in America and 67% of the Market Share Revenue in US Cinema.

In terms of business, in which case Chicago also attracts the 2nd largest pool of business travelers too after New York City, its hard competing with Chicago. I don't think Los Angeles is 2nd at all in these terms. Heck even in the first paragraph of Los Angeles's Wikipedia page it states that. And I am not even a Wikipedia savvy person (I hate it normally).

Old 01-16-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
He's right, Mastercard and every other business ranking analysts has Chicago as America's 2nd most important business center. It's the 2nd most important financial center, the most important commodities exchange center.

In terms of business, in which case Chicago also attracts the 2nd largest pool of business travelers too after New York City, its hard competing with Chicago. I don't think Los Angeles is 2nd at all in these terms. Heck even in the first paragraph of Los Angeles's Wikipedia page it states that. And I am not even a Wikipedia savvy person (I hate it normally).

oh, I am definitely not saying LA is second, I am just taunting him

Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,789,990 times
Second place is a very hard area to categorize, Bay Area, Washington DC, Chicago, & Los Angeles can all make a case there for it. I give it to Chicago for now on economical business mold and diversity. But Washington DC if it keeps it up, it'll be the new number two easily in the country in most regards. Bay Area also.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Second place is a very hard area to categorize, Bay Area, Washington DC, Chicago, & Los Angeles can all make a case there for it. I give it to Chicago for now on economical business mold and diversity. But Washington DC if it keeps it up, it'll be the new number two easily in the country in most regards. Bay Area also.

DOn't forget Boise Idaho.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:40 PM

229 posts, read 248,335 times
2030, 2050?? yeah right, that's if chicago's growth zero or negative...
comparing metro populations: chicago has ~9.5 mil residents and houston surprisingly has 5.8 mil... even dallas, TX has more people (6.4 mil) which is still a long way from chicago.

I doubt houston is ever going to surpass chicago's city population. i predict that those millions of surbanites near chicago will eventually move back to the city and once the cars are gone, houston will be screwed. cities in texas and south in general are very poorly planned and the public transporation options are very limited
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or