U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 07:05 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,163,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Isn't Houston already bigger than San Antonio and Phoenix?

I think he menat That Houston and only Houston will pass Chicago. He doesn't think Phoenix or SA will pass Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,160,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think he menat That Houston and only Houston will pass Chicago. He doesn't think Phoenix or SA will pass Chicago.

That makes sense. The way he worded that was confusing for some reason.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
That makes sense. The way he worded that was confusing for some reason.

Yeah I read it your way the first time too, then when I re read it, I saw what he meant.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:16 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,112,173 times
I'm late to the party, but why would it have any impact at all? Chicago will still be a huge tourist destination through out the midwest and Houston will still be pretty much irrelevant outside of Texas.
And I don't mean that in a Houston bashing kind of way. Houston reminds me of Minneapolis, Denver etc..Nice cities that no one really has any reason to visit. The kind of cities you might drive thru on your way to somewhere else.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I'm late to the party, but why would it have any impact at all? Chicago will still be a huge tourist destination through out the midwest and Houston will still be pretty much irrelevant outside of Texas.
And I don't mean that in a Houston bashing kind of way. Houston reminds me of Minneapolis, Denver etc..Nice cities that no one really has any reason to visit. The kind of cities you might drive thru on your way to somewhere else.

I am sure People were saying the same thing about LA when it passed chicago.

btw Houston is an international player, very relevant on the world stage because of its port, because of its energy and because of NASA. You are very ignorant on a lot of things if you think it is like Minneapolis. Minn/St PAul are regionally important cities. But your whole post sounds misinformed anyway

Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,562,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I am sure People were saying the same thing about LA when it passed chicago.

btw Houston is an international player, very relevant on the world stage because of its port, because of its energy and because of NASA. You are very ignorant on a lot of things if you think it is like Minneapolis. Minn/St PAul are regionally important cities. But your whole post sounds misinformed anyway
But you would be wrong, LA already had Hollywood in full effect. Hollywood already had over 80% of global film market share in the 1920s post WWI as France and Italian cinema fell by the way side. Was also a hot destination.
Houston will never be the destination LA is, there is simply nothing like Malibu, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, in the area, and neither will Chicago. It's just a different place.

But again, LA was way more important back then than Houston is now.

I was just thinking about this the other day... Texas, while it is still doing good... has a chance to have a premier city... Does it want one? Or does it just want to have this Dallas/Houston polarity with Austin and San Antonio thrown in...

Houston is the only one with the chance of becoming a truly mega world city, if done right. But I am not sure Texas sees it that way. I think it should let go of Dallas/Austin, and focus on Houston. It's the only one with port for massive growth, and other key industries. Also the only one that can shed the Texas image and become a massive international/cosmopolitan area.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
But you would be wrong, LA already had Hollywood in full effect. Hollywood already had over 80% of global film market share in the 1920s post WWI as France and Italian cinema fell by the way side. Was also a hot destination.
Houston will never be the destination LA is, there is simply nothing like Malibu, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, in the area, and neither will Chicago. It's just a different place.

did I say once that Houston will become a 'destination'

Not once did I say that.

I am talking about respect. LA had very little respect. It has gotten better since some time has passed since it passed Chicago, but it still gets dissed.

People were taking cheap shots at its sprawl, but it kept marching on and has filled in nicely.

You are just afraid that Chicago will go the way Philly went.

I can understand why you are taking cheap shots at Houston, thats what people do when they are scared.

But guess what? Houston gained more people than both Chicago and LA. It sounds like it is hella popular to me.

ha ha. Haters will always be haters. I bet yours eyes are just green because you eat a lot of vegetables huh?

Old 01-24-2011, 11:09 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,444,603 times
Quote:

I was just thinking about this the other day... Texas, while it is still doing good... has a chance to have a premier city... Does it want one? Or does it just want to have this Dallas/Houston polarity with Austin and San Antonio thrown in...

Houston is the only one with the chance of becoming a truly mega world city, if done right. But I am not sure Texas sees it that way. I think it should let go of Dallas/Austin, and focus on Houston. It's the only one with port for massive growth, and other key industries. Also the only one that can shed the Texas image and become a massive international/cosmopolitan area.
What! You make it sound like Texas is a totalitarian state that decides where the people should be placed, where people should move, and what city has permission to grow. I'm not sure if any state works that way but that's not the way it works in Texas

Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,796,677 times
Quote:

Yeah I am definitely feeling you on this. I had mentioned it earlier a page or so in this very thread about the regional competition Dallas's economy has from both Austin & San Antonio. There's also the factor of Houston having access to ALL modals of logistic trade, which include land (truck), rail, sea (seaport), & air (airport). Nothing else in Texas has that.

There's also a few other things, Houston has these things:
- Sits on one of the country's largest reserves for black gold (oil)
- Has been seeing rapid infrastructure (roads (NAFTA Superhighway), trains (passenger & freight), and airport service shoot off)
- Is now the airport "Gateway to Latin America" and the ONLY airport in the Western Hemisphere (and one of the only 4 in the world) that has daily non-stop direct flights to every inhabited continent on Earth
- Getting barriers to stop hurricane damage, improving infrastructure in sewage & drainage to handle water flooding, & putting wind farms on an island in the metropolitan area to harness wind energy
- Expanding on Medical Services rapidly, they are opening up and constructing an equally sized Medical Center on another side of Houston that will match the Texas Medical Center now.
- Schools reaching higher in tiers and education being a primary focus, Rice University (along with University of Texas at Austin) are already the best Texas has, and University of Houston in some rankings just reached Tier One, and will continue to improve to become even more academically fit. (This is an advantage Dallas doesn't have yet either)
- Diversifying economy, it already has 1 niche industry (Energy) and multiple flagship industries (it scores Top 4 in the country in) with Aeronautics, Manufacturing, & among other things.

Yeah I definitely think Houston is set out and ready for it, and its the fact that its economy is molding mostly to Green Energy/Clean Energy now and emphasizing on that which is making it speed up.
Quote:

But again, LA was way more important back then than Houston is now
I do agree with what you're saying here. Los Angeles like much of the West Coast built its city around its scenery, and what it has going for it and it marketed itself as such.

Houston and every city East of the Rocky Mountains has to work harder on that to make themselves more tourist friendly. Cities like Miami opened their doors to immigration for Latin Americans in particular and made themselves set, cities like Orlando built the largest concentration (and best collection) of amusement and theme parks. Cities like Boston preserved their historical neighborhoods and show them as a beacon their city's culture.

Houston, is doing a mix of things, its now building one of the most environmentally friendly (eco-friendly) and largest theme parks in the country, and has another amusement park ready to build on a pier over the ocean in Galveston, and yet a third theme park/amusement park to build in near north Houston. And also its working on another project, an indoor ski mountain, America's first one, a whole resort dedicated to that, and the project is going a little slow, but its going.

For media, the former Astrodome has had plans to become the worlds largest Film Studio, and they are letting the people of Houston decide by voting this year what they want to do with the Astrodome, there's like 3-4 options, and all are pretty nice.

Houston is making its core more urban rapidly, I've posted pictures and such in threads earlier this month for it. It's doing it with world renowned architects for its projects like some from Boston, some from Dubai (Houston is looking at its next supertall in the coming years), some from China, & some from London.

It's also developing the Clear Lake area, there's an emerging skyline (similarly designed to the Miami skyline) happening on the Nassau Bay in Clear Lake of Houston city limits. It's removing silt from its water and purifying it, and getting more projects set.

Overall I do agree, its no Los Angeles for sure. But its doing things the right way early in its high growth years.

The one complaint people will always have against Houston (and I don't blame them) is the summer weather for 3-4 months of the summer here, otherwise, its becoming a great place at a fast pace.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:52 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,960,068 times
I'll always give Chicago the edge as being the more urban, interesting city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or