U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 07:56 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,279,455 times

Advertisements

Come on now DANNYY. The summers are not that tough in Houston are they? Just playing with you. I actually think the climate here works for recruiting population and businesses here. Besides the occasional major hurricane here once every maybe 20-25 years, it really is a great climate. The last two really major hurricanes to strike Houston directly(that had a heavy impact on the city) were Hurricane Alicia in August of 1983 and of course Hurricane Ike in September of 2008. You get used to hurricanes or the threat of hurricanes here after a while here(It gets kind of like the boy who cried wolf). I guess that what I am saying in a long winded way is that I think Houston's climate helps it economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,705,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
But you would be wrong, LA already had Hollywood in full effect. Hollywood already had over 80% of global film market share in the 1920s post WWI as France and Italian cinema fell by the way side. Was also a hot destination.
Houston will never be the destination LA is, there is simply nothing like Malibu, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, in the area, and neither will Chicago. It's just a different place.

But again, LA was way more important back then than Houston is now.

I was just thinking about this the other day... Texas, while it is still doing good... has a chance to have a premier city... Does it want one? Or does it just want to have this Dallas/Houston polarity with Austin and San Antonio thrown in...

Houston is the only one with the chance of becoming a truly mega world city, if done right. But I am not sure Texas sees it that way. I think it should let go of Dallas/Austin, and focus on Houston. It's the only one with port for massive growth, and other key industries. Also the only one that can shed the Texas image and become a massive international/cosmopolitan area.
I actually agree.

I just see Houston as having so much more potential than Dallas it's crazy.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,589,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
What! You make it sound like Texas is a totalitarian state that decides where the people should be placed, where people should move, and what city has permission to grow. I'm not sure if any state works that way but that's not the way it works in Texas
Never said that, but the state *can* sway how cities develop, what infrastructure they have, what grants they get, tax structures, etc.
You elect representatives, then they decide who gets the resources. It's called politics...who gets what, when and how.
You have 5 major cities there (El Paso, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston) and they aren't all going to have the same success, neither will Texas always have the same strong growth. But if they plan wisely I think Houston can step up its game and become a truly premier city to attract international multidimensional talent across all fields.. I don't think any of the other cities in Texas, or even Atlanta/Miami are in the same position.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:49 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,194,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Never said that, but the state *can* sway how cities develop, what infrastructure they have, what grants they get, tax structures, etc.
You elect representatives, then they decide who gets the resources. It's called politics...who gets what, when and how.
You have 5 major cities there (El Paso, DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston) and they aren't all going to have the same success, neither will Texas always have the same strong growth. But if they plan wisely I think Houston can step up its game and become a truly premier city to attract international multidimensional talent across all fields.. I don't think any of the other cities in Texas, or even Atlanta/Miami are in the same position.
San Antonio, Dallas, and Galveston were bigger cities than Houston.

Houston only outpaced the others in the last century, and Houston had to fight tooth and nail to compete with the others.

It would be weird to throw all you weight behind the 4th largest city in the state, or to start supporting SA or Dallas and then switch when Houston passed the others.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,129,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'll always give Chicago the edge as being the more urban, interesting city.
Which it is, but that won't keep it from moving down the ranks to 4th largest city.

People go where the jobs are & right now that is Houston & Texas in general.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,827 posts, read 33,239,916 times
Some posts were deleted above. Here's a reminder from the TOS:

Quote:
If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:59 PM

5,497 posts, read 7,584,764 times
Look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrhJs...layer_embedded

Old 01-29-2011, 12:19 AM

624 posts, read 1,205,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I didn't know Barney was a Texan, good video though it puts DFW in to a non CD biased perspective, and yes I truly believe that DFW will pass Chi in metro population but it will do little to our image since cities are usually ranked by city populations in the media not metro

Old 02-16-2011, 05:53 AM

775 posts, read 844,860 times
In retrospective, remember the impact of Chicago when it was overtaken by Los Angeles in the early 1980s to drop from second to third place? It clearly showed how big corporations prefered LA over Chicago and that translated into gains for LA. If/when Houston passes, that could be another potential blow to the city's reputation; it's like being demoted from Running Back to Fullback, and now to Offensive Lineman. Less attention will be put on Chicago and will be Dallas/Houston's gain. Now that the 200,000 population loss is official, it should be a big wake-up call to Chicago planners. Baltimore which my family and I have have grown up around has seen a similar decline from A-level to B-level city. That's why NYC continues to pull away, and LA continues to be a good alternative "choice city". Everything from concert tours to big shows can take a hit when you lose your advantage. One thing, Chicago's government feels more like a monarchy than a democracy, and that doesn't work well in the US!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:36 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,222,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Its a bit over the top. I can tell the same people who made the Houston one made this one and they are both over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or