U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 03:24 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,190,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
If Houston passes Chicago as the #3 largest US city, I'll wake up the next morning and be like: Oh, Houston is now #3. Chicago is still a kick ass city though. Hmm..what cereal should I eat this morning?"

I don't see why it would be a big deal. It's just the simple fact that Houston has evolved into being more populated than Chicago. Time does that to things. Things change.

Now, I would be shocked if any city passes NYC. But that's not happening in my lifetime.
yeah, don't know why people would think the skies would open and angels will sing. Its not a big deal.

In actuality Houston has already passed Chicago. Houston's city limits plus its Extra territorial jurisdiction (areas belonging to Houston but not yet added to the city) has over 3.5M people. Houston can instantly add it to its fold or release it. Adding Katy and Cypress alone puts Houston over Chicago. These are not independent cities, just people in Houston's backyard that belong to Houston for the moment but not included in the population

That is why it is better to look at metro area because it looks at all people in the area, and Houston isn't really close to Chicago on that metric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

on the LA comparison, LA is still at least twice as dense as Houston and moreso in the core so at some point it did get more of pass yet often is still considered a lessor downtown to its in state rival. Not that density is everything but it truly plays a factor in the feel of city, cohesion, and vibrancy as well
when LA zoomed up the list is the density you should be looking at, not present day. LA isn't passing anywhere present day.

Don't act like when LA passed Chicago it had the density it has today

The density came with age
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 03:34 PM

740 posts, read 1,020,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
If Houston passes Chicago as the #3 largest US city, I'll wake up the next morning and be like: Oh, Houston is now #3. Chicago is still a kick ass city though. Hmm..what cereal should I eat this morning?"

I don't see why it would be a big deal. It's just the simple fact that Houston has evolved into being more populated than Chicago. Time does that to things. Things change.

Now, I would be shocked if any city passes NYC. But that's not happening in my lifetime.
exactly. If it happened, it wouldn't make Chicago any less relevant. It is a great city, just as Houston is.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:47 PM

422 posts, read 689,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
In actuality Houston has already passed Chicago. Houston's city limits plus its Extra territorial jurisdiction (areas belonging to Houston but not yet added to the city) has over 3.5M people. Houston can instantly add it to its fold or release it. Adding Katy and Cypress alone puts Houston over Chicago. These are not independent cities, just people in Houston's backyard that belong to Houston for the moment but not included in the population
So basically these are unincorporated areas? I don't know Texas annexation law but that is pretty crazy, it would have over 1,000 square miles of land if it incorporated all of that. Honestly that is the only way Houston would surpass Chicago in the near future, through more annexation when it already has 600 square miles vs. Chicago's 227 square miles. In reality Houston land wise is already more than twice the size of Chicago without this extra territory you are referring to. If Chicago had Houston's land area by incorporating most of it's Cook County suburbs it would have a population of about 4.5 million. Also even if Houston surpassed Chicago it is not like there is some box where only three cities are allowed, it's not like people are going to say "NYC, LA, Houston", if anything it would become "NYC, LA, Houston, Chicago" if people even thought about it that way at all. I am glad that you have a level headed attitude about it as someone from Houston.

Also as you said it's not city limits because Indianapolis is technically bigger than San Francisco when you look at city limits alone but who thinks Indy is a more significant city than SF?

Last edited by chicago103; 10-25-2011 at 03:58 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
So basically these are unincorporated areas? I don't know Texas annexation law but that is pretty crazy, it would have over 1,000 square miles of land if it incorporated all of that. Honestly that is the only way Houston would surpass Chicago in the near future, through more annexation when it already has 600 square miles vs. Chicago's 227 square miles. In reality Houston land wise is already more than twice the size of Chicago without this extra territory you are referring to. If Chicago had Houston's land area by incorporating most of it's Cook County suburbs it would have a population of about 4.5 million. Also even if Houston surpassed Chicago it is not like there is some box where only three cities are allowed, it's not like people are going to say "NYC, LA, Houston", if anything it would become "NYC, LA, Houston, Chicago". I am glad that you have a level headed attitude about it as someone from Houston.

Also as you said it's not city limits because Indianapolis is technically bigger than San Francisco when you look at city limits alone but who thinks Indy is a more significant city than SF?

Yeah they are Unincorporated areas.

The annexation laws in Texas have been really lax. The County Houston is in right now has 4.1M people. Houston is the biggest city in that County, of course, with 2.1M people. The next biggest city is Pasadena with only 150K people. Then there are a about 2 dozen tiny cities with a population of about 10K each. So between Houston, Pasadena and those 2 dozen cities there are only about 2.5M people in Harris County that are incorporated. The 1.6M extra people live in unincorporated Harris County. Also, Houston's ETJ extend into about 6 other counties, each with more unincorporated residents.

This is kinda old, but:
http://www.hctx.net/judgeemmett.asp

Anyway like I said, the city population doesn't really give a good idea. The Metro population tells which had more people associated with the area. I which all cities had larger land limits to reduce the number of municipal governments. I think the area functions better without tons of mayors having disagreements over who should get this and that.

Edit: Exact figures:
http://www.co.harris.tx.us/agenda/Bu...on%20Study.pdf

Houston: 2,057,280
ETJ: 1,561,463
Total: 3,618,743 people rely on Houston for city services.

Other cities in Harris: 473,716

Bare in mind, Houston extends passed Harris, that is why the figure for Houston city is lower than the 2010 number for the city. Some of the city falls into Montgomery County

Last edited by HtownLove; 10-25-2011 at 04:18 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 04:16 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,192,195 times
As has been stated many times when Hosuton can get to a million people in the core loop (or any 90 sq mile area HTown) or over 2 million in 200 sq miles it would be an interesting comparison.

Come on HTown nobody cares that Houston can numerous hundreds of sq miles and surpass Chicago. Hosuton the city and metro are still so much smaller than Chicago this premis is proposterous.

Cook County at less than 1000 sq miles has 5.2 million and density higher (actually 45% higher) than the 2.1 million in Houston let alone Harris County which has 4.1 million in over 1700 sq miles for a density of 2500 ppsm

To your earlier points HTown LA exceeded the population of Chicago with a density more than twice that of current day Houston and if Houston surpassed with todays boundaries assuming the current size of Chicago it would still be half the density of LA when it surpassed Chicago. LA is dense and was more dense at the time than Houston a factor greater than 2. Stop the nonsense its one thing to be in a 8K range and another to be in a 4K range

Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 PM

229 posts, read 389,244 times
San fran, boston, philly and miami are smaller cities than houston and more relavent.

If houston were to ever surpass chicago in city population it wouldn't mean anything

Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
As has been stated many times when Hosuton can get to a million people in the core loop (or any 90 sq mile area HTown) or over 2 million in 200 sq miles it would be an interesting comparison.

Come on HTown nobody cares that Houston can numerous hundreds of sq miles and surpass Chicago. Hosuton the city and metro are still so much smaller than Chicago this premis is proposterous.
Oh grow the hell up. He asked, I explain.
and I freaking said that the metro numbers are better way to go because almost all of Houston metro is just Houston, so I dunno why you are acting all ridiculous.

I could do the same thing and ask who the hell cares about the loop when we are talking about Metro.

You just like pointing out crap not on the topic.

all metros are not the same, being a dense metro doesn't make it better.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,192,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Oh grow the hell up. He asked, I explain.
and I freaking said that the metro numbers are better way to go because almost all of Houston metro is just Houston, so I dunno why you are acting all ridiculous.

I could do the same thing and ask who the hell cares about the loop when we are talking about Metro.

You just like pointing out crap not on the topic.

all metros are not the same, being a dense metro doesn't make it better.
But being a denser city does, or at least some assemblance within the city does, especially with continuity.

And regardless all points were extremely pertinent to the discussion at hand. Why comparing city population is pretty useless for the most part

At the Metro level Houston is 50% smaller than Chicago with no way of surpassing Chicago in the forceeable future

Old 10-25-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
But being a denser city does, or at least some assemblance within the city does, especially with continuity.

And regardless all points were extremely pertinent to the discussion at hand. Why comparing city population is pretty useless for the most part

At the Metro level Houston is 50% smaller than Chicago with no way of surpassing Chicago in the forceeable future
what the hell are you arguing? are you just arguing for arguing sake?

I said what is important is the metro and at metro level Houston won't be passing Chicago anytime soon. what is your point? From my first post I said the city level doesn't show a good picture of what is happening so the metro level would be better. AGain why are you acting like I said different?? He asked about Houston annexation laws, I told him, but you had to come in like a smartass like anyone was saying the city limits was anything.

I think it is best you return to talking about Philadelphia, you are in there stiriing up crap that isn't even at issue. Read post 187, and then go back to Philadelphia talks where you may understand things better

Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 PM

72 posts, read 155,586 times
Quote:

Metro area of Chicago is 2x as big. Why is this a topic? This is like me comparing Orlando to Atlanta... Pointless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or