Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 10:09 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,698,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbiddle87 View Post
Metro area of Chicago is 2x as big. Why is this a topic? This is like me comparing Orlando to Atlanta... Pointless
Agree and have made this point numerous times yet it keeps getting recycled by Houston Boosters and discussed as being a meaningful point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 10:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,783,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree and have made this point numerous times yet it keeps getting recycled by Houston Boosters and discussed as being a meaningful point
If you could read, you would see no one is saying that.

I said Houston isn't close to Chicago repeatedly. Chicago has 3M more people in its metro.

You have selective reading. Here, read it slow so you can understand:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

That is why it is better to look at metro area because it looks at all people in the area, and Houston isn't really close to Chicago on that metric.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 AM

422 posts, read 808,093 times
I accept HTown's statements as not being fanboyish boosterism. Trust me I have come across people who have a thing against Chicago or are Houston/sunbelt trolls, HTown from what I have read is not one of them. Unlike them he did not get dramatic and offensive when I pointed out Houston is not really in any position to surpass Chicago in the near future without massive annexation, he simply explained what the unincorporated areas were and informed me of a hypothetical I was not aware of. A troll would have thrown personal insults at me saying I am pathetic man in denial of a dying city or some garbage like that and bash Chicago some more. Htown did not bash Chicago at all.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:46 PM

123 posts, read 218,016 times
I would rather live in houston than live in chicago, but that doesn't change the fact that houston isn't on chicagos level and never will be unless some massive natural disaster were ti hit chicago.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:20 PM

13,945 posts, read 14,835,246 times
Quote:
Metro area of Chicago is 2x as big. Why is this a topic? This is like me comparing Orlando to Atlanta... Pointless
6x2=9??
math isn't your forte is it?

Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,924,145 times
The impact of Houston overtaking Chicago means absolutely nothing. All it shows is that city population statistics are not very comparable. I find it funny that a person who lives one of Houston's latest annexed land that is 20-30 miles from Downtown can brag that they are from the city when their annexed town has been basically a suburb for almost 200 years. lol.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
I accept HTown's statements as not being fanboyish boosterism. Trust me I have come across people who have a thing against Chicago or are Houston/sunbelt trolls, HTown from what I have read is not one of them. Unlike them he did not get dramatic and offensive when I pointed out Houston is not really in any position to surpass Chicago in the near future without massive annexation, he simply explained what the unincorporated areas were and informed me of a hypothetical I was not aware of. A troll would have thrown personal insults at me saying I am pathetic man in denial of a dying city or some garbage like that and bash Chicago some more. Htown did not bash Chicago at all.
Thank you. He always does that. He reads the last post in a thread without taking the context it is being given and then lectures people on boosting without knowing what the heck the poster is talking about.

Anyway, Houston won't be annexing anything soon. The last 5 or 6 city governments have said that they are not looking to do any general purpose annexation in the near future, and in actuality they have not annexed anything in the last 15 years (apart from specif use annexation where the annex a strip along a highway or something like that). In the mean time the number of people living without a city is getting crazy big. It makes it look on paper like we don't have any sizable suburbs because the Texas Legislature back in the day made it so that bigger cities can easily ax the competition. I think the unincorporated residents may account for some of the shortfall between the Census actual figures for the city and the census estimates.

San ANtonio is another city in Texas that has few large suburbs because of the laws here. Basically if a developer builds near a city in Texas, the City has the power to annex that area. the bigger the city gets the wider the net it can annex gets until the city gets to 100,000 people. At that point it gets domain over anything that is not incorporated within a 5 mile distance from the city limits. Houston and San Antonio got in the game early and nixed all the competition. Dallas on the other hand is kinda boxed in because a ton of suburbs slipped in and each now has annexable land of their own. Fort Worth is blocked towards Dallas but open on the other sides. They have a vigourous annexation plan (so does Austin) so both these Cities will undoubted pass Dallas in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
6x2=9??
math isn't your forte is it?
I read that too, but let it slide. Just explaining something got taken the wrong way yesterday, so God forbid I would correct someones math if it was to favor Houston. Kidphilly would be itching to have a booster linching.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:05 PM

72 posts, read 176,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Thank you. He always does that. He reads the last post in a thread without taking the context it is being given and then lectures people on boosting without knowing what the heck the poster is talking about.

Anyway, Houston won't be annexing anything soon. The last 5 or 6 city governments have said that they are not looking to do any general purpose annexation in the near future, and in actuality they have not annexed anything in the last 15 years (apart from specif use annexation where the annex a strip along a highway or something like that). In the mean time the number of people living without a city is getting crazy big. It makes it look on paper like we don't have any sizable suburbs because the Texas Legislature back in the day made it so that bigger cities can easily ax the competition. I think the unincorporated residents may account for some of the shortfall between the Census actual figures for the city and the census estimates.

San ANtonio is another city in Texas that has few large suburbs because of the laws here. Basically if a developer builds near a city in Texas, the City has the power to annex that area. the bigger the city gets the wider the net it can annex gets until the city gets to 100,000 people. At that point it gets domain over anything that is not incorporated within a 5 mile distance from the city limits. Houston and San Antonio got in the game early and nixed all the competition. Dallas on the other hand is kinda boxed in because a ton of suburbs slipped in and each now has annexable land of their own. Fort Worth is blocked towards Dallas but open on the other sides. They have a vigourous annexation plan (so does Austin) so both these Cities will undoubted pass Dallas in the future.

I read that too, but let it slide. Just explaining something got taken the wrong way yesterday, so God forbid I would correct someones math if it was to favor Houston. Kidphilly would be itching to have a booster linching.
Are you really going to pick on the math. I'm so sorry that I was not exact on that for you does 1.590957321584718x sound better or do I need to break it down more for you. Find a hobby dude.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Are you really going to pick on the math. I'm so sorry that I was not exact on that for you does 1.590957321584718x sound better or do I need to break it down more for you. Find a hobby dude.
like I said, I let it slide. Did you see me make fun of your math??.. NO. so I suggest YOU find a hobby, this one may require too much from you

Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 PM

72 posts, read 176,800 times
I don't need a hobby, this is fun. (pissing off people)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.