U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 01:11 PM

18,648 posts, read 27,082,820 times

Advertisements

Some of you people are filled with so much pride that you can't admit some things involving places you dislike on this forum. Yes Houston is not the HQ of the entire operation. But to act like you don't even hear or think of the city in even the slightest when it comes to space exploration tells me all I need to know. It's only the city that has been named in every popular space theme movie for the last 50 years. But you think of some place in Pasadena, CA where 95% of the US population knows nothing about? People lay their Houston hatred on thick and its very obvious. I can give you Cape Cañaveral. But Houston is surely very close behind it if it is anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 01:12 PM

34,697 posts, read 33,714,187 times
So, where are the people going and why?

Old 10-28-2011, 02:19 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,187,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Some of you people are filled with so much pride that you can't admit some things involving places you dislike on this forum. Yes Houston is not the HQ of the entire operation. But to act like you don't even hear or think of the city in even the slightest when it comes to space exploration tells me all I need to know. It's only the city that has been named in every popular space theme movie for the last 50 years. But you think of some place in Pasadena, CA where 95% of the US population knows nothing about? People lay their Houston hatred on thick and its very obvious. I can give you Cape Cañaveral. But Houston is surely very close behind it if it is anyway.

I dont disagree Houston has an affiliation with NASA but honestly it is by no means the only one. My first image will always be Cape Kennedy, also I worked as a consultant for a firm in Greenbelt MD that did a ton of wrok at Goddard in MD which i think is the HQ and very large (honestly dont know what is larger between there and houston. but to suggest that houston is the only thing that comes to mind for NASA is equally short-sighted and bantered by Houston faithful. it is by no means a singular city that comes to mind for NASA. I had never once heard the Space City thing before city data and have never personally heard anyone refer to it outside of CD, even when in Houston

Old 10-28-2011, 02:22 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,187,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Like I said, at the end of the day, Houston is known as Space City, USA.

Never heard of this before CD and houston posters honestly

Old 10-28-2011, 02:28 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,698,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daortiz View Post
^^^
When I hear the word NASA what comes to mind is Cape Cañaveral in Florida
and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory JPL in Pasadena CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
My first instinct is to say Cape Canaveral, because I imagine the space shuttles lifting off there.
OK, I didn't say all. Lets not act like Houston ties with NASA are non-existent. To the average american; people are going to think "Houston, we have a problem". I don't think much know about the lab in Pasadena for one. I'll give you Cape Canaveral, but Houston is about tied with it; if not more known for NASA. Houston/NASA is usually ALWAYS brought up any movie relating to space/aliens.

People go out of their way to knock Houston. Their should be no argument about this.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 10-28-2011 at 02:39 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 06:15 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,187,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Never heard of this before CD and houston posters honestly
Really?

Why do you think the sport teams based in Houston have names such as the Astros and the Rockets?

And honestly folks none of those space exploration missions would be possible without Mission Control since it is where flight control is and it is also where the astronauts train for the missions (granted I understand that some would associate NASA with Cape Canaveral since that is where the shuttles launch, but still).

Old 10-28-2011, 10:33 PM

286 posts, read 351,119 times
^^^
I would imaghine that Houstonians would be unhappy about the fact that NASA
choose to send the retired shuttle fleet to Los Angeles, New York and DC
instead of Space City.
At least when it comes to Southern California the Endeavor is coming back home
I think all shuttles were constructed in Southern California

Old 10-29-2011, 01:14 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,187,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daortiz View Post
^^^
I would imaghine that Houstonians would be unhappy about the fact that NASA
choose to send the retired shuttle fleet to Los Angeles, New York and DC
instead of Space City.
At least when it comes to Southern California the Endeavor is coming back home
I think all shuttles were constructed in Southern California
Some componants were designed and built in California sure, but not the entire shuttles (which are built in Florida by the way). The main engines, external tank, and solid rocket boosters for example are built in Alabama, with the engines being tested in Mississippi.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:47 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,813,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I had never once heard the Space City thing before city data and have never personally heard anyone refer to it outside of CD, even when in Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Really?

Why do you think the sport teams based in Houston have names such as the Astros and the Rockets?
Apparently, diablo, they just pulled those names out of thin air, and they just so happened to be related to space exploration. And no one else in the world was smart enough to put two and two together.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:01 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,187,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Apparently, diablo, they just pulled those names out of thin air, and they just so happened to be related to space exploration. And no one else in the world was smart enough to put two and two together.
LOl, so because one poster was ignorant about Houston's space connections does all Houston Space connections disappear??

Well let me School you Paul.

Interest in Space Exploration has been around for a while. Virginia and NC were headquarters for departments early in that part of its history, but it was on a much smaller scale until Eisenhower and Kennedy came around.

The National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics was founded in 1915 and had small facilities in California, Ohio and Virginia.

Eisenhower (he was born in Texas btw)did away with the NACA in 1958 to make way for the creation of NASA.

Kennedy came along and pushed greatly for Moon exploration. His famous Moon speech was made on the Campus of Rice University in Houston. The NASA program was greatly expanded by Kennedy and larger facilities were developed in Houston ( the Manned Spacecraft Center).

Mission Control is the primary flight control center for all Space missions.

Apart from Controlling Space Missions, the Houston center serves as the Lunar Receiving Laboratory where Astronauts are quarantined and collections from the moon are kept and analysed.

So while there are more than one NASA facility, the Space Center in Houston performs multiple roles, from training astronauts, performing research into space travel, controlling Space missions, quarantining and testing Astronauts, Storing and testing of Lunar rocks.

NASA's major operations are from Houston. take offs are but one aspect of Space Exploration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or