U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 01:17 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times

Advertisements

I do agree that it is one of the most unique cities in the nation. It is a treasured jewel in this country. But it is held back economically compared to Houston and Dallas. One is at 1.5 million. The other two are above 6 million with much larger economies and opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 09:39 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,000,098 times
NOLA has taken horrible hits this century from Katrina, a "do nothing" government that let people die, Rita, and the oil spill. It is a mistake to count it out now. Size has nothing to do with becoming an Alpha city. Size is secondary.

Answer some questions and tell me why you think Houston should be considered an Alpha city?

Forty-two percent of the Amerian workforce is underemployed or works part time.. How much of the Houston workforce are underemployed or works only part time?

What does Houston offer a new resident? Name ten religious components? Who are the major employers in Houston? How many restaurants do you have? Where can I find Irish bacon, English butter, and a cup of liver dumpling soup for me? My wife wants Matzo. My wife is a Conservative Jew; I'm Unitarian; I don't embrace AME. Where can I find a Conservative Congregation and school for our children? I'm moving my business to Houston. I want to buy a hosue in $750K range although I could spend up to $1.5M. As a mixed race family where can we live that is safe and not hostile?

Dallas has DART. Does Houston have something similar? The Dallas Market is very similar to the Chicago Merchandie Mart. What does Houston offer buyers that is similar? Everyone knows about Dr. Red Duke, MD. What other hospitals are in Houston? None are ranked in the TOP 17 Hospitals in America by US News and World Report. However the Houston Children's Hospital is ranked 11 out of 11 children's hospitals. .

Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,169,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I do agree that it is one of the most unique cities in the nation. It is a treasured jewel in this country. But it is held back economically compared to Houston and Dallas. One is at 1.5 million. The other two are above 6 million with much larger economies and opportunities.
yeah, economics play a huge part, and NOLA just can't compete on that front. NOLA lost its chance a long long time ago.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:09 PM

114 posts, read 164,443 times
Just to set the record straight DFW is the faster growing metroplex in USA and most articles predict that If we grow at a steady rate we are going to surpass Chicago and maybe LA in the future. DFW metropolitan area has 3 of the USAs top 50 cities and Dallas and Ft Worth are one of the fastest growing cities. fort Worth is predicted to reach Dallas by 2030 and so far with this bad economy this metro is still bomming in growth and business we keep on gaining more national HQs and we even keep adding more to our population. In some other post someone said that DFW will have competition with Houston Atlanta Miami, etc. but that is not true the majority of articles claim that we can surpass Chicago and LA in time. I know there's probabaly some people from Houston here and just so y'all know yes y'all are the 4th biggest city but from Metroplex and business we pass y'all and Dallas is leading Texas in Busniness and Houston in Population. I know Someone is going to copy and paste this but most things point out that DFW will pass major cities. Y'all can say whatever y'all want but don't be suprised when we start passing Chicago. (sorry for my bad punctuation trying to type fast)

Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 PM

114 posts, read 164,443 times
I meant quote this not copy and paste

Old 07-03-2012, 11:34 PM

434 posts, read 1,012,720 times
It's pretty hard to compare Chicago & DFW....completely different vibes. Chicago could some day be 4th, but it will always be far more urban and city-like than DFW.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:30 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,198,104 times
There is no impact, period. The cities don't change just because of their ranking.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:30 AM

242 posts, read 439,026 times
Forget Dallas or Houston! Toronto is set to overtake Chicago in population to become North America's third largest city (not including Mexico City) by 2016. I know this means nothing in a business sense (Chicago will continue to dominate) however it's a vital milestone for Toronto to be the largest US/Canadian city outside of LA and NYC.

Considering Toronto and Chicago have almost identical city populations, I'd personally rather be in Toronto for pure safety reasons. For 2012, Chicago is on track to have about 500 murders compared to 50 for Toronto. This means in terms of murders, Toronto is 10 times more safe of a city.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 AM

4,260 posts, read 5,480,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Forget Dallas or Houston! Toronto is set to overtake Chicago in population to become North America's third largest city (not including Mexico City) by 2016. I know this means nothing in a business sense (Chicago will continue to dominate) however it's a vital milestone for Toronto to be the largest US/Canadian city outside of LA and NYC.

Considering Toronto and Chicago have almost identical city populations, I'd personally rather be in Toronto for pure safety reasons. For 2012, Chicago is on track to have about 500 murders compared to 50 for Toronto. This means in terms of murders, Toronto is 10 times more safe of a city.
Why do you not include Mexico City?

And what does it matter if Toronto proper becomes the fourth largest city in North America and not the fifth? Chicago's metro area is still quite a bit bigger...

Old 07-04-2012, 08:54 AM

242 posts, read 439,026 times
^ Yes, but this thread is not talking about Metro it's talking about city center. And I was only talking about Canada/US but if you include Mexico then Toronto is destined to become the 4th largest city on the continent while Chicago will fall to #5. By having a growing city center, this is the heart of the city. It shows that the downtown is healthy and glowing. If people actually live in the city limits, it brings business back to the core and creates more commercial and residential growth, allowing skylines to expand and grow. This is a good thing for any city to be growing in population. It's not always about the metro sub-burbs 100 miles away from the actual city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or