U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:15 PM

166 posts, read 537,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Miami is known more the Chicago.

So population doesn't mean anything.
I would really like to know where you make this assumption. Chicago has been a widely known cities since the early 20th centuries (it was one of the largest in the world at the time). Miami's metro was not even up to a million people in 1950.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
It will be Houston not Dallas because the Hpouston port facilities is a huge advantage plus its international reputation is growing so fast as far as business is concerned.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:25 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,328,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think there is a lot of truth to this
I think the more interesting side of it is that the US set some new standards with how cities are laid out over the past century. When cities like Houston become more dense, I'm curious what the impact will be given its current layout. I suppose Los Angeles will be the first in line to deal with this type of issue, and by issue, I mean implementing more public transportation, filling in the gaps, seeing the response of an increase in density on long-term residents, etc.

So, I think that when/if Houston passes Chicago in population, the bigger question is not on Chicago, but on Houston and what that means. What's the QOL there at that point?

Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 AM

3,506 posts, read 7,311,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
I would really like to know where you make this assumption. Chicago has been a widely known cities since the early 20th centuries (it was one of the largest in the world at the time). Miami's metro was not even up to a million people in 1950.
I think Miami is more popular than Chicago when it comes to pop culture.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 AM

3,625 posts, read 7,168,190 times
Quote:
Everyone knows about miami but not chicago. Its true. Thats so many people ask questions about it, cuz they dont know.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! That was two pages of something right there.

anyway. Isn't there already a two mile long thread about this very issue?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:58 AM

18,637 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It will be Houston not Dallas because the Hpouston port facilities is a huge advantage plus its international reputation is growing so fast as far as business is concerned.
Let's not forget that Dallas has a more diverse economy with the larger and more busier cargo airport (remember, a port is not only sea, but of air and land as well), and it's growing internationally and domestically as well. Now Dallas will never pass Chicago in population. But the DFW metro area is approaching 7 million and could be there in 2012.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:40 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,017,186 times
Quote:
Media.

Miami is shoved into people's faces, just like Vegas, L.A., NYC

I'd say more people know about those cities then they do about Chicago.

Simply because the media popularizes it more.

And I'm talking about the real world.

Not on this site where we're all city nerds.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:04 PM

425 posts, read 755,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Let's not forget that Dallas has a more diverse economy with the larger and more busier cargo airport (remember, a port is not only sea, but of air and land as well), and it's growing internationally and domestically as well. Now Dallas will never pass Chicago in population. But the DFW metro area is approaching 7 million and could be there in 2012.
I can see DFW surpassing metro Chicago around the same time Houston tops Chicago in city population. Ballpark guess: 2029.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:12 PM

12,291 posts, read 15,184,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Miami is known more the Chicago.

So population doesn't mean anything.
And yet the CITY of Jacksonville has more people than the CITY of Miami. Because it sprawls out so much that you don't have to go outside the city for large lot living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or