U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 04:35 AM

335 posts, read 565,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I can see DFW surpassing metro Chicago around the same time Houston tops Chicago in city population. Ballpark guess: 2029.
so your saying chicago stays exactly at 10 million until 2029 and dallas gains more then 3.5 million by 2029 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 07:40 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,234,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I can see DFW surpassing metro Chicago around the same time Houston tops Chicago in city population. Ballpark guess: 2029.
If trends continue, I would guess 2040 or so. 2029 seems awfully soon.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:37 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,743,587 times
Well Houston is number 4, and Dallas is lke 8th or 9th behind San Antonio so I guess I'll go with Houston. It wil be 10 yearas before Houston passes Chicago. Dalls isn't growing so much as the area around the Metroplex is.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:27 AM

11,186 posts, read 22,407,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Well Houston is number 4, and Dallas is lke 8th or 9th behind San Antonio so I guess I'll go with Houston. It wil be 10 yearas before Houston passes Chicago. Dalls isn't growing so much as the area around the Metroplex is.
You think the city of Houston is going to grow by over 600,000 people in the next 10 years?

That's pretty extreme growth.

Houston has almost 3X as much land area as Chicago. I don't know why anyone on either side should worry or think about the impact of that area having more people than Chicago. It's kinda apples to oranges.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:38 AM

6 posts, read 11,924 times
what do you have against cleveland? so you don't think it has anything to offer just because of its' size relative to chicago or its' losing sports teams?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 PM

624 posts, read 1,205,609 times
City wise I dont see either taking over chicago in the next 10 years, in 15 years I do see Houston pulling ahead also I see DFW pulling ahead in metro population. Like I have said before metro population speaks louder than city population, that said it will take a long time to register in the minds of americans that a texan city is the 3rd largest city.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:20 AM

759 posts, read 1,673,598 times
Illinois just passed a gigantic income tax increase that will drive hundreds of thousands out-of-state.

They also passed a huge corporate tax increase that changes Illinois from one of the lowest tax states for corporations to worst in the nation.

And now the City of Chicago is considering implementing a massive city income tax.

BTW, Illinois already has the highest sales taxes in the nation.

Long story short- Illinois will be in a world of hurt, especially Chicagoland.

Keep in mind that Chicago has had the largest population loss of any city in the nation from 2000-2010, and that was when taxes were relatively low. Now taxes are skyrocketing, and I guarantee the outflow will be soaring.

So it's really WHEN, not IF, Dallas and Houston surpass Chicago.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:41 AM

624 posts, read 1,205,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Illinois just passed a gigantic income tax increase that will drive hundreds of thousands out-of-state.

They also passed a huge corporate tax increase that changes Illinois from one of the lowest tax states for corporations to worst in the nation.

And now the City of Chicago is considering implementing a massive city income tax.

BTW, Illinois already has the highest sales taxes in the nation.

Long story short- Illinois will be in a world of hurt, especially Chicagoland.

Keep in mind that Chicago has had the largest population loss of any city in the nation from 2000-2010, and that was when taxes were relatively low. Now taxes are skyrocketing, and I guarantee the outflow will be soaring.

So it's really WHEN, not IF, Dallas and Houston surpass Chicago.
What is the total percentage now? Chicagoland is massive so it's possible that CBD's could pop out in other parts of the metro to get away from the income tax increase if it goes through. If people do start leaving Chicago where do you think they will head to? I know Arizona has been a popular destination for ex Chi-towners.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:50 AM

759 posts, read 1,673,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
If people do start leaving Chicago where do you think they will head to? I know Arizona has been a popular destination for ex Chi-towners.
I think AZ will be a huge destination.

Also look to Indiana and Wisconsin.

Indiana has very low taxes, and Chicago's South Side suburbs are declining. Throw in massively higher taxes, and it's easier to just move across the Indiana state line.

Wisconsin doesn't have Indiana's super-low taxes, but their new governor has promised to slash Wisconsin taxes. So I think they will be very competitive and steal some of Chicagoland's corporate and population base.

Heck, even NJ announced they're going to try and take Illinois companies. NJ Governor Chris Christie announced he will open an office dedicated to recruiting Illinois corporations.

The thing is, you can't tax your way to prosperity.

I'm not really an economic conservative, and I think tax increases are sometimes justified, but MASSIVE tax increases when all the other states are holding taxes steady or dropping them is economic suicide, IMO.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:18 AM

3,569 posts, read 6,029,661 times
More lies from dementor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or