U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 02:03 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,809,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
that is funny because that is where the article said DFW would level off.
I'm a good guesser.
Quote:
what about all the red tape and arguments over Edwards Aquifer???
Increases happen, unless Austin & San Antonio go to the national media addressing that they officially have a confirmed water situation due to over population, the areas will keep gaining at present rates. And for the record, Austin is by far and away too egotistical to admit it has problems to anyone especially the national media. So it wont be keeping people from going to Austin.
Quote:
also what about Austin's traffic and people complaining how it is so not like it was 5 years ago let alone how it was 20 years ago?
Austin's a pushy city. Austin's is the worst planned city in Texas, I actually learned that in class that the state officials hate dealing with the city in general and its very anti-development. I know it looks like the opposite case because of how rapidly the skyline has changed, how rapidly things have happened and stuff. But look at some of the highways, they've been constructing some of the same segments for over 20 years now because of how anti-development Austin is.

But at the same time Austin is very pushy, if you tell Austin it lacks something, or if you make it known that Austin is in anyway inferior especially to Dallas & Houston, it will backlash and go crazy and start speeding developments up with money from god knows where.

It was the case with Austin's CRT system, Austin's Downtown, & Austin's Media.

Austin reminds me of Atlanta, its trying to use that same modal to gain, the system of revolving around government (state capital), tech, business relocations, education, & medical services. It's almost an Atlanta Lite, even in terms of scenery and the road networks Austin reminds me more of Atlanta than either Houston or Dallas.

And as far as competition goes, even though I do school in Austin, I hate to say it, but Austin knows what its doing, and that's stealing clout from Dallas-Fort Worth & San Antonio. Especially San Antonio. Austin's built its economy off every advantage it was given, which is education & government. It's creating a larger tech center for itself and larger medical services center for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 02:49 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,184,194 times
well, Austin and SA are pushing hard for one CSA. I guess Texas will have a proper triangle by then with CSA's above 4M on each end

Old 01-14-2011, 03:27 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,024,448 times
Quote:
like you said, jobs are important, did you see the job loss for chicago that the article I posted quoted??

don't be selective in the readings Paul

The area is predicted to create 1.3M new jobs by 2025.
Pretty sure Detroit and Chicago where not predicting job loss back in their day.

Anything can happen.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Pretty sure Detroit and Chicago where not predicting job loss back in their day.

Anything can happen.

pretty sure they were not predicting such massive job growth either. was detroit busy diversifying its economy?? I think not.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:28 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,754,521 times
I don't think there will be an impact, most people probably won't even care/notice that Houston would "probably" overtake Chicago.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
I don't think there will be an impact, most people probably won't even care/notice that Houston would "probably" overtake Chicago.
It was on th enews for a few minutes when Phoenix passed Philly.

Chicago would surely be bigger news.

Don't you remember when LA passed Chicago???
No??? Well neither can I, I don't think I was born yet.
Its been a while since Chicago has been passed

Old 01-14-2011, 04:35 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,754,521 times
Quote:
It was on th enews for a few minutes when Phoenix passed Philly.

Chicago would surely be bigger news.

Don't you remember when LA passed Chicago???
No??? Well neither can I, I don't think I was born yet.
Its been a while since Chicago has been passed
If this is "going" to happen. Yes, it'll be on the news a little 10sec spot after the main story.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,024,448 times
That was 1990

I was a newborn.

Anyone older people remember if it was a big deal?

Do average non city data people even care about the population of cities?

Old 01-14-2011, 04:39 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,972,432 times
If Houston overtook Chicago in population, it'd be like NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
If this is "going" to happen. Yes, it'll be on the news a little 10sec spot after the main story.

nah, news people love talking about migrations and trends. when Phoenix passed Philly there was this whole westward thing.

The news people will spin it as the north draining out and the south taking over. with two of the top 3 cities in the US being in the sunbelt. That story will be spun 12 ways till sunday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or