Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 05:16 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
No worry, just denying what "ya'll" think. Don't dish it if you can't take it. I'd really like to take a visit to Texas sometime late this winter with the wife and I'm leaning towards Houston over Dallas because Houston seems more appealing to me. So if I go I'm looking forward to seeing how Houston is or can become better than Chicago, and also just enjoy seeing a new place in this country and what it has to offer.

You should really get out of Texas, there's a lot to see!

I have seen most major cities in the US some impressed more than others. Some looked filled with new life some looked stagnating, some looked like they were going on.

Cities that seemed to be slammed the most impressed me more than cities overly talked about like they were the best.

I was impressed more from Phoenix than SF, I was expecting it to be crappy.

I was more impressed by Baltimore than Philly.

Didn't like a lot of the mid west.

I guess we are just more accustomed to different things

You should see DFW too. It will be huge too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
LOTS of reasons -- City and Urban planning 101. But if you continue to build further and further away from the core for instance, the more attractive land is that is closer to the core (e.g. transportation costs are less).

you certainly are not familiar with Houston.

You think most people are travelling to the core do you

lol. Houston has multiple pockets of economic centers that people travel to. Not one core, but 6 or so cores that people travel too.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:42 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
I know. I have a degree in City and Regional Planning....I know a lot about Multi-Modal development. That was the high-level explanation, but prices tend to increase as cities grow for MANY reasons, like I stated previously.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:44 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I have seen most major cities in the US some impressed more than others. Some looked filled with new life some looked stagnating, some looked like they were going on.

Cities that seemed to be slammed the most impressed me more than cities overly talked about like they were the best.

I was impressed more from Phoenix than SF, I was expecting it to be crappy.

I was more impressed by Baltimore than Philly.

Didn't like a lot of the mid west.

I guess we are just more accustomed to different things

You should see DFW too. It will be huge too.
Can't say I'm a fan of your tastes....Phoenix over SF, Baltimore over Philly, etc. You know Texas is in the Midwest, right? Technically anyways. You're definitely unique, I'll give you that.

I drove through Dallas once on a layover and I really wasn't a fan of what I saw, but I know what you're going to say before I even finish writing this: "I should get out of the car and see the sights". What should I see in Houston or Dallas in particular if I go, so I can get a fair representation of the cities you love?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I know. I have a degree in City and Regional Planning....I know a lot about Multi-Modal development. That was the high-level explanation, but prices tend to increase as cities grow for MANY reasons, like I stated previously.

what are the many reasons?? you gave one that was more related to a places with single economic centers.

what are some others?

Old 01-20-2011, 04:04 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,429 times
It will be devastating for Chicago. Look at Houston. Houston receives almost no respect or notoriety, and that's a hint for Chicago future. Chicago receives more than its share of publicity and notoriety only because it's no. 3. Once it goes to no. 4, Chicago will be irrelevent. It's a warning! Do not go below no. 3 spot, or you're toast no matter what. These media people are goons. Be very worry. I mean BE VERY WORRY!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
It will be devastating for Chicago. Look at Houston. Houston receives almost no respect or notoriety, and that's a hint for Chicago future. Chicago receives more than its share of publicity and notoriety only because it's no. 3. Once it goes to no. 4, Chicago will be irrelevent. It's a warning! Do not go below no. 3 spot, or you're toast no matter what. These media people are goons. Be very worry. I mean BE VERY WORRY!
I don't think so. Chicago is most often ranked higher than LA.

A lot of people still consider it the second City in the US, ahead of LA. So I don't think Chicago would lose much by dropping to 4. All it would lose would be bragging rights

Old 01-20-2011, 04:15 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,211 times
I can't wait to check Houston out this summer before I go to S. Korea.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
I can't wait to check Houston out this summer before I go to S. Korea.
you know it is not a visitor haven right? It is a city that takes easing into. It is a city that you don't appreciate until you leave it after being there for a while

Old 01-20-2011, 04:22 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you know it is not a visitor haven right? It is a city that takes easing into. It is a city that you don't appreciate until you leave it after being there for a while
Going for a wedding, but hey since I'm there might as well check it out. I mean with all the hype surrounding it, I probably will like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.