Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 05:33 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Does there really have to be an impact? If Houston rises over Chicago in population, then so be it- Chicago's MSA is still nearly twice the size of Houstons, so it's job market will still most likely be stronger than Houston's, even if Houston's city proper has a higher population. (That may change, but not anytime soon)
Pretty true and I know what you're trying to say too. So +1 from my Chicagoan side (it appears I cannot rep right now), but now from my Houstonian side those stats are going to need a quick fix.

8.2% unemployment rate Houston vs. 10.4% unemployment rate Chicago, Chicago's got the larger economy 500+ billion vs. Houston's 400+ billion.
Chicago also has a larger "workforce population" compared to Houston for sure.

Now for MSA:
Houston MSA: 6,022,719
Chicago MSA: 9,641,146
Total difference: 3,618,427

Lol, the difference is a lot but not "double" just 33% more.

Lol sorry about that, I like math and getting any chance to apply it.

And does it have an impact? Only to the losers, I cant imagine what kind of geeks drool over population numbers and things like that... LOL whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Pretty true and I know what you're trying to say too. So +1 from my Chicagoan side (it appears I cannot rep right now), but now from my Houstonian side those stats are going to need a quick fix.

8.2% unemployment rate Houston vs. 10.4% unemployment rate Chicago, Chicago's got the larger economy 500+ billion vs. Houston's 400+ billion.
Chicago also has a larger "workforce population" compared to Houston for sure.

Now for MSA:
Houston MSA: 6,022,719
Chicago MSA: 9,641,146
Total difference: 3,618,427

Lol, the difference is a lot but not "double" just 33% more.

Lol sorry about that, I like math and getting any chance to apply it.
Thanks for clearing that up. I said "nearly" double as an estimated guess by just looking, but I was pretty far off lol.
I'm pretty sure your MSA numbers are more up to date, I was going by what I saw on Wikipedia.

Quote:
And does it have an impact? Only to the losers, I cant imagine what kind of geeks drool over population numbers and things like that... LOL whatever.
When a city has a lot of people, the city gets more recognition. I guess some of the people in these cities feel like they are getting recognized too

Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
When a city has a lot of people, the city gets more recognition. I guess some of the people in these cities feel like they are getting recognized too
Sometimes. It solely depends on how the cities market themselves more for recognition. I wish and hope to god that Chicago reduces that god forsaken crime rate and stops making it so dramatic than it really is on the media.

Population and the larger they are wont ever add notoriety otherwise Washington DC, Houston, Chicago all would have made their metro areas clear.

A far smaller city like Austin gets so much recognition and hype for it's size because it's been marketing itself so, Chicago just plainly never marketed itself otherwise people wouldn't ever hear the end of it.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
So what! Other cities may grow larger with more population, but bigger is not better. Chicago has interesting people, ethnic diversity, culture, history architecture, is known the world over, and a dynamic urban life that those sprawling bland cities can only envy.
I was in Houston. Where is Houston's downtown - where the one story Greyhound Bus shack is located?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:54 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
That there may be more people in the CITY of Houston than the CITY of Chicago matters little when there are more in the metro area. Chicago's metro area is probably understated, since it spreads over parts of three, maybe four states. Chicago is way ahead of Houston in mass transit lines, sports and downtown attractions. Houston leads in oil refineries.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
So what! Other cities may grow larger with more population, but bigger is not better. Chicago has interesting people, ethnic diversity, culture, history architecture, is known the world over, and a dynamic urban life that those sprawling bland cities can only envy.
I was in Houston. Where is Houston's downtown - where the one story Greyhound Bus shack is located?
You're overdoing it now. I live in them both, and there's plenty of fun things to do in both of them.

You could have just said, "Chicago is by far one of the most exciting cities in the country, and nothing can replace that" but instead you picked to use terminology to bash one place (or more than one place in instance of sunbelt) to bring another up. Was that necessary?

If you want to say Chicago is the more fun and great city, leave it at that people will understand. But is it necessary to put a place down to make a point? Just curious because living in them both (Chicago & Houston- and yes I live in both presently)... you clearly did not see Houston.

And WTF, one story greyhound bus shack? The heck are you talking about, downtown has some nice things to see, albeit it's no Chicago and it dies out after 8 PM but it's got everything there to be nice. And Houston's entertainment areas are in other parts of the city. Next time you are there, be sure to look up Washington, Montrouse, Rice Village, Uptown, & Richmond.

Capeesh?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:40 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Didn't take long for the thread to turn into ignorant Houston-bashing.

What a surprise!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:11 PM

166 posts, read 611,867 times
Out of curiosity, what makes people think that so many of these Sunbelt cities (Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, etc.) will continue to grow the next decades? They have an extreme amount of sprawl and very few densely populated and urban communities compared to "older" cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly, San Fran, Baltimore and DC. The suburbs around these cities will eventually be built to capacity with few public transportation options and heavy traffic. I wonder if this will stunt some of these Southern cities' growth in the future.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:19 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Houston has interesting people, ethnic and racial diversity (more than Chicago), Houston is known too (NASA, energy).It has the world's largest medical center (Texas Medical Center = 75,000 employees, 105,000 in 2013), the second largest port of the US (after LA), one of the youngest population of the country), a low cost of living (very good), an affordable housing (very important), it's the world capital of energy..Sorry for you loss, but in becoming bigger, Houston becomes better, this city improved so quickly !!!! And this decade : Huge light rail extension, EarthQuest Adventures (big theme park), larger Houston port (maybe LA will be surpassed)..etc...
Sorry Houston bashers

Old 08-11-2010, 05:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
If Houston or Dallas passes Chicago, with what type of development will this be accomplished? More semi dense sprawl, well if that is the case it will be more sprawl and not even at the level of LA, so I say who would care, Chicago will always be one of the best downtowns in the country, I like downtowns and care even less for living outside of beltway even so to me it would have zero bearing. Just as the suburbs around Chicago that sprawl forever have no real interest for me but the downtown is great and always will be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.