Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 08:57 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,328,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The skies are gonna open, Light will pour down from heaven, the angels will sing, Kidphilly will be crying, and Obama will outlaw annexation.
Obama would have been long gone out of the White House and back in (ahem) Chicago, by then.

...unless you're talking about Malia Obama, the first black female president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:01 PM

422 posts, read 812,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Obama would have been long gone out of the White House and back in (ahem) Chicago, by then.

Obama will likely be 80+ years old then according to my calculations.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:09 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,795,840 times
Quote:
Matt, let's say that Houston does pass Chicago, in city limit population, in the near future. What do you think will happen next?
Oh my god.... everyone in Chicago will be soooo devastated! It'll be a world tragedy.... There will be mass mournings and all of the businesses and people living in Chicago will be soo jealous that they'll all start admiring Houston and like, omg, it'll be so horrible....!

Yeah, that'll be the day.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:21 AM

546 posts, read 1,176,366 times
I don't think that Chicago being passed up by Dallas or Houston will end up making Chicago less important. Chicago culturally does what cities like LA and NYC do not care about as much which is take care of itself internally. That means that Chicagoans generally do not care that their city is on some place on the rankings. I don't know Chicagoans feel on city data, but that is what I know culturally from what I've seen from people in real life. Houston or Dallas or any other Texan city may end up holding more people in their metro than Chicago, but I don't think it will end up sucking all the business out of Chicago to turn it into a Detroit type of city. However there are certain Chicago businesses like Merchantile exchange, and being the logistics center of most of the country that it isn't going to lose. While Dallas or Houston is also centrally located, it will act as another center that will complement Chicago and not replace it. I think it is good to have two major distribution centers for the country rather than one and there is plenty to go around so no one is going to go away.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:

No, he'll realize how inferior and how much of a dump Chicago has become and move to Houston.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:05 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I don't think that Chicago being passed up by Dallas or Houston will end up making Chicago less important. Chicago culturally does what cities like LA and NYC do not care about as much which is take care of itself internally. That means that Chicagoans generally do not care that their city is on some place on the rankings. I don't know Chicagoans feel on city data, but that is what I know culturally from what I've seen from people in real life. Houston or Dallas or any other Texan city may end up holding more people in their metro than Chicago, but I don't think it will end up sucking all the business out of Chicago to turn it into a Detroit type of city. However there are certain Chicago businesses like Merchantile exchange, and being the logistics center of most of the country that it isn't going to lose. While Dallas or Houston is also centrally located, it will act as another center that will complement Chicago and not replace it. I think it is good to have two major distribution centers for the country rather than one and there is plenty to go around so no one is going to go away.
Good post.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
Great post!

C-D posters are nameless, faceless people who may not fairly represent the city they claim to live in. The people who actually live, work and play in Chicago are representatives of the city as a whole, which is a topic for another discussion.

I've lived in Chicago and spent a good deal of time in Texas. I think y'all have the prettiest southern ladies, and the FTM roads make exploring Texas a lot of fun and it keeps me off I-35 Loop!.

Any city holding more poeple than Chicago is easy enough to build if it can meet demand, land and resources. It takes far more than size to be an Alpha City. Miami or NOLA might be able to take over the #3 spot in time, but I doubt any other southern city can. Chicago has the busiest airport in America and with one foot in the Great Lakes, it is one of the largest medical. parcel, rail, air, land and water hubs in America. It moves people and freight in and out of O'Hara every ten seconds 24/7/365 barring extreme weather.

Chicago is the largest melting pot in the Midwest regarding culture, business, religion and architecture, plus it has a very rich and diverse history that began long before statehood or the Civil War. And of course it has the three tallest sjyscrapers in America downtown - which gives Chicago a distinct skyline. But, by and in itself, a skycraper does not an Alpha city make; neither does one plain jane business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post

Old 11-03-2011, 08:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,328,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I've lived in Chicago and spent a good deal of time in Texas. I think y'all have the prettiest southern ladies, and the FTM roads make exploring Texas a lot of fun and it keeps me off I-35 Loop!.
Speaking of which, it wasn't until recently that I found out that only Texas had a FM/RM road network.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Great post!

C-D posters are nameless, faceless people who may not fairly represent the city they claim to live in. The people who actually live, work and play in Chicago are representatives of the city as a whole, which is a topic for another discussion.

Any city holding more poeple than Chicago is easy enough to build if it can meet demand, land and resources. It takes far more than size to be an Alpha City. Miami or NOLA might be able to take over the #3 spot in time, but I doubt any other southern city can. Chicago has the busiest airport in America and with one foot in the Great Lakes, it is one of the largest medical. parcel, rail, air, land and water hubs in America. It moves people and freight in and out of O'Hara every ten seconds 24/7/365 barring extreme weather.

Chicago is the largest melting pot in the Midwest regarding culture, business, religion and architecture, plus it has a very rich and diverse history that began long before statehood or the Civil War. And of course it has the three tallest sjyscrapers in America downtown - which gives Chicago a distinct skyline. But, by and in itself, a skycraper does not an Alpha city make; neither does one plain jane business.
Miami or New Orleans though? I disagree with that. For the same reasons you named why Chicago is such a powers is the sane reason why Houston and Dallas are powerhouses in the South.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:53 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
The alpha city has a thousand 'hoods, a thousand political views, and just as many religious leanings, and they are all seated on very large bodies of water. Alpha is not a church dominated city, nor one with tunnel vision. An alpha city just does not have that same vibe.

I think there are a few smaller mini-alpha cities, as well as a few very large Beta cities with the potential to become an Alpha City in the future. Before NOLA is dismissed out of hand I think the history should be examined in relation to its peoples and how it formed and grew the first 150-years. It may well be one of the most unique cities in America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.