U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:46 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,441,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
Forget about I-95 in S.C. and I-26. South Carolina has stopped building roads forever. They have connected their major cities, and unless they put up a toll they won't expand it.
The thing they could do with the urban roads like 95 in NYC, 76 in philly, etc. is double deck them like in California. It would be expensive but it is a solution.

I do like the idea of a new interstate between Baton Rouge and Savannah only because there is no great way to get down there to I-10, and I was always surprised that something wasnt built to connect the I-95 corridor to I-10 without going through Atlanta. However I-3 to Tenn? Do that many people really go to Tenn from the Savannah area, I see a few Tenn plates around here but not a lot.
I tend to agree about SC building roads, but I will say I-20 is about to be widened here in Columbia from 4 to 6 lanes for about a 7-mile stretch in the NE part of the metro. So it hasn't totally ceased, but we're still a long way from widening a 50+ mile stretch of I-26 from 77 to 95 or 200 or so miles of I-95 in the state.

As far as I-3 to Tennessee, it would at least help relieve some of the traffic on I-26 through SC, but again, seems like it would make more sense to just widen I-26. I could see the need for I-3 being built though to at least connect Savannah to Augusta and possibly Greenville - maybe build it from I-95 to I-85?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 AM

8,628 posts, read 13,889,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
TRANSLATION: I've never even heard of GA 316, let alone driven on it.
Then you are not from Athens , Ga. State route 316 links Metro Atlanta with Athens. Its 39 miles long.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:39 AM

13,220 posts, read 17,957,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Then you are not from Athens , Ga. State route 316 links Metro Atlanta with Athens. Its 39 miles long.
I drive GA 316 every weekend, thank you. I know exactly how long it is. I also know that it needs to be a limited-access highway with at least six lanes.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:00 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,140,793 times
I-81 through PA is hopelessly overcrowded with truck traffic. There is plenty of room for expansion of that road throughout almost the entire state (as it goes around cities and through mostly rural areas). There is a plan right now to expanded 81 to three lanes in each direction from Harrisburg to the Maryland border, but it doesn't seem to be progressing.

There is no doubt that the Schuylkill expressway in Philly needs to be widened, however it will surely be a VERY expensive project. I'd almost rather see that money go to a much needed rail connection to King of Prussia.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
I-81 through PA is hopelessly overcrowded with truck traffic. There is plenty of room for expansion of that road throughout almost the entire state (as it goes around cities and through mostly rural areas). There is a plan right now to expanded 81 to three lanes in each direction from Harrisburg to the Maryland border, but it doesn't seem to be progressing.
I think a lot of capacity expansion projects in Pennsylvania (aside from those on the Pennsylvania Turnpike) have been put on the back burner in favor of bridge rehabilitation. Like I mentioned before, PennDOT has made bridge rehabilitation the top priority ever since the I-35W bridge collapse in Minnesota.

With that said, I'd certainly widen I-81 between the Maryland state line and I-78, as well as between I-80 and I-84/I-380.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
There is no doubt that the Schuylkill expressway in Philly needs to be widened, however it will surely be a VERY expensive project. I'd almost rather see that money go to a much needed rail connection to King of Prussia.
Maybe they could build a SEPTA line between Center City and King of Prussia, and then close down the Schuylkill Expressway and make everybody use the new SEPTA line or secondary roads.

EDIT: And then widen the Schuylkill Expressway and reopen it.

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 09-01-2010 at 06:06 PM..

Old 09-01-2010, 05:37 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,579,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Some of these have been mentioned before, but I'll say them again...
I-95 in South Carolina & Central Florida (Where it hasn't already been widened to 6 lanes..Daytona to Melbourne) Also in Delaware & NYC to Connecticut. (I know there is no room to widen the Cross Bronx but they could at least repave it!)
I-26 from Columbia to Charleston
I-65 from Clanton to Birmingham
I-10 and I-12 from Pensacola to Houston
I-35 from San Antonio to Dallas/Ft. Worth
I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff seriously needs a truck lane!
I-15 from Primm to San Bernardino/Riverside
I-5 in Southern California (never driven the 5 in NorCal but it probably needs it too)
I-20 near Shreveport, Jackson, Tuscaloosa and around Anniston to Bremen (really, all of 20 needs to be at least 6 lanes consistently from Birmingham to Atlanta)
..and a local one for me; I-16 from I-516 to I-95
Just drive down I-95 from Savannah to I-10 and head west. Sure, it'll take perhaps an hour more than a more direct route, but it's not a long haul out of the way.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,374,754 times
Quote:
I think a lot of capacity expansion projects in Pennsylvania (aside from those on the Pennsylvania Turnpike) have been put on the back burner in favor of bridge rehabilitation. Like I mentioned before, PennDOT has made bridge rehabilitation the top priority ever since the I-35W bridge collapse in Minnesota.

With that said, I'd certainly widen I-81 between the Maryland state line and I-78, as well as between I-80 and I-84/I-380.

Maybe they could build a SEPTA line between Center City and King of Prussia, and then close down the Schuylkill Expressway and make everybody use the new SEPTA line or secondary roads.

EDIT: And then widen the Schuylkill Expressway and reopen it.
There are 5 lines that could take the pressure off the I-76,276,476,202 congestion complex but Septa has put those on hold. Combined they would have about 370,000 daily riders.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There are 5 lines that could take the pressure off the I-76,276,476,202 congestion complex but Septa has put those on hold. Combined they would have about 370,000 daily riders.
Then SEPTA needs to build them so PennDOT can go to work widening the Schuylkill Expressway into a modern highway befitting of a top-tier U.S. city.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,374,754 times
Quote:
Then SEPTA needs to build them so PennDOT can go to work widening the Schuylkill Expressway into a modern highway befitting of a top-tier U.S. city.
If Septa Restored everything it ripped up over the past 30 years you wouldn't need any widenings. They plan on slowly restoring what they had 30 years ago. As for widening I-76 , theres no space to build anything. Septa and Penndot really need to get on these restorations and system expansions. The King of Prussia Extension is badly needed.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:44 PM

46 posts, read 58,193 times
Default I-95

I-95 through South Carolina needs to be expanded to at least 3 lanes/direction due to traffic volume. I-15 between Los Angeles and Las Vegas also needs to be expanded for the same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.