U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 10:06 AM

432 posts, read 495,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I'm speaking specifically of two-digit Interstates. Three-digit Interstates are not eligible. (If they were, then I-376 in Pennsylvania would be mandatory at the top of everybody's list.)

Interstate highways in need of capacity expansion

1. I-5 in California
2. I-35 in Texas
3. I-95 in Florida
4. The Pennsylvania Turnpike
5. I-70 in Missouri
6. I-15 in California
7. I-81 in Pennsylvania
8. I-77 in North Carolina
9. I-95 in South Carolina
10. I-10 in Mississippi

List is based on Interstates that I've driven on.
I know this thread is almost eight years old, but it's worth revisiting to see what has happened since the original poster started it. First, the (relatively) good news about widening plans for some of these:

I-5 in California will widen between the Orange-Los Angeles county line and the East Los Angeles interchange by 2025. But still work is needed north of LA to Sacramento to make it bearable.

I-35 has since 2011 had a dedicated website, my35, to describe updates on planned improvements. On Oct 30, 2017, it announced a plan to add two managed express lanes in each direction along 33 miles of I-35 from RM 1431 (Round Rock) to SH 45 Southeast (near Buda) as part of an enhanced I-35 project called Capital Express. The proposal also includes lowering I-35 through downtown Austin and potentially removing the upper decks from Martin Luther King Boulevard to Airport Boulevard.

I-95 in Florida is getting widened to six lanes in all parts around the Daytona Beach area, which is scheduled for completion in the fall of 2018 (I-4 is also being widened around Orlando, and that's been needed too.), and other parts south and north are getting modified as well.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike has a dedicated construction website noting that more than 45 miles of the highway are now under construction for widening, with some parts slated to be done by 2018.

I-15 in California has had limited progress. There's adding two toll express lanes on both sides from the Pomona (60) Freeway on the northwest edge of Riverside County to Cajalco Road in the El Cerrito community, just south of Corona, stretching roughly 15 miles. The project is expected to wrap in 2020.

I-77 in North Carolina is widening north of Charlotte by 26 miles (Exits 11 to 36), albeit with a very unpopular installation of toll lanes.

I-10 in Mississippi is being widened from four to six lanes between Ocean Springs and Vancleave in Jackson County. It is anticipated to be complete by early 2018 and represents more than 10% of the 77-mile stretch of highway there.

Now the bad news:

I-70 in Missouri--Not much to report here. Still one of the worst if not the worst interstate highways to travel in America. Congested, tightly designed, and little of note to see between St. Louis and Kansas City.

I-81 in Pennsylvania--Ditto last entry. There's plans for a beltway to be built around Scranton to relieve traffic in that area, but otherwise it's still a pain here, as it is to a lesser degree on I-81 in Virginia.

I-95 in South Carolina--Forget it. The state is more concerned with widening I-85 upstate (which does need it and has some started now) and then I-26 from Columbia to Charleston (which needs it too, yet hasn't got anything done on it yet) than in the aggravating 86-mile stretch from I-26 to the Georgia state line. Combine that with the overcrowding between Richmond and DC and NYC and Connecticut, and you've got a good case that I-95 is the worst north-south interstate to drive in America right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 09:21 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,970,061 times
-I-35 through the Twin Cities could use an expansion if possible, which it probably isn't.
-I-65 from Indy to Chicago should be a 6 lane expressway (3 lanes in each direction) the entire way.

That's all I got.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:42 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,880,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post

I-95 in South Carolina--Forget it. The state is more concerned with widening I-85 upstate (which does need it and has some started now) and then I-26 from Columbia to Charleston (which needs it too, yet hasn't got anything done on it yet) than in the aggravating 86-mile stretch from I-26 to the Georgia state line. Combine that with the overcrowding between Richmond and DC and NYC and Connecticut, and you've got a good case that I-95 is the worst north-south interstate to drive in America right now.
In SC's defense, I-95 is not for South Carolinians, it's for Northerners to get to and from Florida. The entire 200 miles goes through the least populous portion of the state. 85, 26, and 20 are easily more crucial to SC, especially 26, which is the state's backbone. I agree that is more important to get done. I-85 as well because of the population around it, the economic importance, and the insane truck traffic.

Maybe the federal government will help chip in because I agree 95 sucks. At least they've been clearing trees.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:21 PM

5,534 posts, read 3,686,922 times
I-5 constricts down to two lanes NB in downtown Seattle. Seriously. It was built with the idea that most NB traffic would get off on downtown exits. Today, most traffic is not exiting, they are continueing through. But yet, nothing is being done to correct this earlier miscalculation.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:08 PM
sub

781 posts, read 406,881 times
6I-44 in Missouri needs to be leveled, straightened, and widened badly. Or, just rip it up and replace it with the hyperloop thingy.
10 times worse and more crowded than MO's stretch of
I-70, which is bad enough.
Speaking of KC to St. Louis, MODOT is wanting to do a feasibility study on building a section of Hyperloop One between those two cities.

I-40 in Arkansas, especially east of Little Rock. I-55 in Arkansas. I-30 in Arkansas. All junk. All overcrowded. Only time they're not rough is when you're driving on a stretch that's been repaved in the last 6 months (any given 6 months because that's about their lifespan).
But I-49 in Arkansas is fine. They smoothed it over and repaved the shoulders when nothing was wrong with it to begin with, while the rest of the state drives mostly on overcrowded washboards. Hmmmmm.
One thing I-49 could use are some truck lanes on the bigger hills through there.

I-75 in Michigan south of Detroit.

Not necessarily inadequate, just hideously rough to the point of being criminal.
Detroit otherwise needs to build an extensive light-rail system and get as many people as possible off the road.

I-40 in Tennessee should have been widened sometime during Bush 41's administration.
Nashville. Bottlenecks. Widening will only go so far there. Perhaps more freeway routes? Better yet, a complete do-over? And please, just toss out those ridiculous HOV lanes. They're just an excuse for every bubba to play NASCAR. Otherwise pointless.
Same as Detroit above for light-rail.

On a side note: Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Oklahoma, and about 40 other states need to look into more creative ways to enforce speed limits. Seriously, 80% of the populace doing 80 mph minimum is absurd, especially with the increased congestion, distractions, and general indifference or lack of knowledge of the most basic rules of the road being at an all-time high. A national speed limit of 65 or lower would also be nice. If that's too slow, buy a plane ticket.

Any Indiana interstate that isn't at least 6 lanes yet needs to be 6 lanes before Jimmy Carter leaves offic......
so anyway..

Don't want to leave out I-55 in Illinois.

Last edited by sub; 11-17-2017 at 11:36 PM..

Old 11-17-2017, 11:55 PM

7,816 posts, read 12,321,925 times
Interstate 12 in Louisiana should definitely be expanded especially in Baton Rouge and parts of Interstate 10 as well!!!

Old 11-19-2017, 08:27 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,438,580 times
I-95 from DC to Richmond needs an extra lane. There is just too much traffic in that corridor and it is constantly congested around the clock. I-95 itself should be no less than 6 lanes (3 general purpose lanes each way) from Richmond through the Boston metro area. The NJ Turnpike should also be widen on the southern stretch near Philly.

I-15 between Los Angeles and Las Vegas should be 6 lanes. A lot of traffic in that corridor.

I-85 in NC should be 6 lanes from Durham through Charlotte.

I-64 between Richmond and Norfolk should also be upgraded to 6 lanes.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:59 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I-95 from DC to Richmond needs an extra lane. There is just too much traffic in that corridor and it is constantly congested around the clock. I-95 itself should be no less than 6 lanes (3 general purpose lanes each way) from Richmond through the Boston metro area. The NJ Turnpike should also be widen on the southern stretch near Philly.

I-15 between Los Angeles and Las Vegas should be 6 lanes. A lot of traffic in that corridor.

I-85 in NC should be 6 lanes from Durham through Charlotte.

I-64 between Richmond and Norfolk should also be upgraded to 6 lanes.

the NJTP and I295 run parallel in this stretch basically less than a mile apart

In the area 295 serves more local and the turnpike handles more of the through traffic

it is seven lanes combined and run parallel for about 20 miles before linking up right before the DE Memorial Bridge just south of Wilmington DE

also the NJ Turnpike just added the truck and car lanes now to just south of the PA Turnpike connector which will soon be 95 when the PA turnpike links to 95 just west of the PA line and will finally make the 95 connection that never existed between Philly and NYC

Old 11-20-2017, 11:43 AM

1,034 posts, read 724,614 times
In general, I'm against highway expansions. I especially become passionate if any of these proposed expansions are located in cities. In order to alleviate traffic in and around Philadelphia, however, I have a few proposals in mind. The most radical would be redirecting I-95 out of Philly and into NJ:

Philadelphia

-Tunnel I-76 under West Philadelphia between just north of Spring Garden Street and near University Avenue. This would not only allow for I-76 to be widened to six lanes between US 1 and the Walt Whitman Bride (the section through South Philly would be widened to six lanes), but this would also allow for development to occur on the west bank of the Schuylkill River.

-Cap I-676/US 30 between 22nd and 9th Street. Also, directly connect I-676 to the Ben Franklin Bridge to I-676/US 30 while avoiding Franklin Square.

-I-95 would get a new bridge across the Schuykill River and run a concurrency with I-76 over the Walt Whitman Bridge. I-95 would then run the length of I-295 until it reaches I-276. From there, a connection would be established, and I-95 would be signed over the NJ Turnpike. Meanwhile, I-95 would be demolished between the Oregon Avenue and Girard Avenue interchanges, along with the connection to I-676. What was formerly I-95 north of the Girard Avenue Interchange would become I-195. The Girard Point Bridge and accompanying section of highway would remain, which would serve as a high-speed connection to Delaware Avenue/Columbus Boulevard. Traffic that wishes to reach I-195 would travel along Columbus Boulevard.

-Submerge the inner portion of Roosevelt Boulevard (US 1) and make it a highway, capping where necessary (ex. Oxford Circle). This highway would run between the I-76 Interchange and the Philadelphia's county line.

New Jersey

-Demolish all of I-676 between the Ben Franklin and Walt Whitman Bridges. This will help increase the rate of revitalization in Camden.
-Convert US 30 and NJ 38 into signaled boulevards instead of limited-access highways. This will help to reconnect severed neighborhoods in Camden.

Fantasy Proposal

Build a bridge for I-476 to cross the Delaware River between Eddystone, PA and Gibbstown, NJ, and connect it with I-276. This would basically form a ring road around Philadelphia, reducing the need for the presence of highways within the city. Alternatively, the existing Commodore Barry Bridge could be used and US 322 could be upgraded to Interstate standards between the bridge and outside of Glassboro. The same ring road concept would apply from there.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:27 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,213,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I-5 constricts down to two lanes NB in downtown Seattle. Seriously. It was built with the idea that most NB traffic would get off on downtown exits. Today, most traffic is not exiting, they are continueing through. But yet, nothing is being done to correct this earlier miscalculation.
Yep here it is
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6059...7i13312!8i6656

probably one of the worst bottle necks in the nation, it really baffles me how little for sight some of these urban planners have, and like you said the worst part nothing is being done to fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.