U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 02:49 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Yep here it is
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6059...7i13312!8i6656

probably one of the worst bottle necks in the nation, it really baffles me how little for sight some of these urban planners have, and like you said the worst part nothing is being done to fix it.

I76 has been broken since the 60/70s and still nothing has been done to fix it

a two lane highway between one of the largest DT CBDs and one of largest suburban CBDs in the country

I5 seems bad at rush hour but most other times it seems I can get through pretty easily other places just seem bad all day

I have had far better luck with that stretch of I5 then many other highways in the country

and I76 between Philly and KOP feels gridlocked from 6Am to 11PM most days including weekends, still think the 405 is the worst albeit many more lanes for consistently bad. The BQE in BK and Queens is another

on the topic will the new underground aqueduct alleviate any of the through traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 04:08 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,213,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I76 has been broken since the 60/70s and still nothing has been done to fix it

a two lane highway between one of the largest DT CBDs and one of largest suburban CBDs in the country

I5 seems bad at rush hour but most other times it seems I can get through pretty easily other places just seem bad all day

I have had far better luck with that stretch of I5 then many other highways in the country

and I76 between Philly and KOP feels gridlocked from 6Am to 11PM most days including weekends, still think the 405 is the worst albeit many more lanes for consistently bad. The BQE in BK and Queens is another

on the topic will the new underground aqueduct alleviate any of the through traffic?
Don't want to nit pick, but it's a viaduct, not an aqueduct. And currently the Viaduct is still open, and the tunnel will have less lanes than the viaduct, so if anything I-5 will get worse, especially since it will be tolled. The viaduct is primarily used by people from west Seattle, and Burien, so it doesn't serve as many people as I-5. Also the reason why it's not too bad is because the express lanes swap between north and south bound. When they are north bound the traffic is flowing, but the moment it switches to south bound that's when things start to back up.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6039...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6432...7i13312!8i6656

Old 11-21-2017, 02:14 AM

287 posts, read 265,031 times
Interstate 10 through all of Louisiana to Houston and back the other way to Pensacola. It has to be one of the most dangerous stretches of highway and it’s a straight line....tells you about the drivers down here I guess..

Nobody obeys the speed limit. Truckers fly by like they are in a sports car and don’t obey signs that clearly state to not switch lanes. Major accidents all the time around here.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:12 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
Interstate 10 through all of Louisiana to Houston and back the other way to Pensacola. It has to be one of the most dangerous stretches of highway and itís a straight line....tells you about the drivers down here I guess..

Nobody obeys the speed limit. Truckers fly by like they are in a sports car and donít obey signs that clearly state to not switch lanes. Major accidents all the time around here.
I-10 from Buckeye, AZ (metro Phoenix) to Coachella, CA (Coachella Valley/Palm Springs-Indio metro) needs to be widened to 6 lanes (3 each way)

Old 11-21-2017, 05:14 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Another one I would propose is to make I-80 from Sacramento, CA to Vallejo, CA 8 lanes (4 each way) and to make CA 4 a full fledged freeway with 8 lanes from Hercules to Antioch and 6 lanes from Antioch to Stockton

Old 11-21-2017, 07:24 PM

33 posts, read 16,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I-95 from DC to Richmond needs an extra lane. There is just too much traffic in that corridor and it is constantly congested around the clock. I-95 itself should be no less than 6 lanes (3 general purpose lanes each way) from Richmond through the Boston metro area. The NJ Turnpike should also be widen on the southern stretch near Philly.

I-15 between Los Angeles and Las Vegas should be 6 lanes. A lot of traffic in that corridor.

I-85 in NC should be 6 lanes from Durham through Charlotte.

I-64 between Richmond and Norfolk should also be upgraded to 6 lanes.
Agree about I-85, but you didnít think big enough. It needs to be at least 6 lanes from Durham through Atlanta. I drove that between the gulf coast and the Triad numerous times and it was frequently a nightmare. Accident are one thing, but itís always slow just from volume/people driving slow in the one left lane for miles.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:46 PM

337 posts, read 303,766 times
I-90 in the Erie, PA area needs widened to 3 lanes.

From exit 18 (PA 832/Sterrettania Rd.) to exit 29 (PA 8/Parade St).

Way too much traffic and people exiting and entering the highways for just two lanes, especially with all the development focused up by the highway...

Old 11-30-2017, 11:50 AM

5,659 posts, read 3,642,101 times
I-70 in Maryland could use some help. Between U.S. 29 and Marriottsville Road in Ellicott City, it's just 2 lanes each way. Sure, it's only 3 miles, but it sure feels a lot longer when you're stuck in traffic.

And speaking of I-70, behold the part of it that's west of Frederick. You've got 3 lanes of I-70 itself coming from Baltimore, plus 2 lanes of I-270 coming up from Washington, plus 2 lanes of U.S. 340 coming from Harpers Ferry, plus 2 lanes of U.S. 15 from Gettysburg . . . all of which gets funneled into a measly 2 lanes of I-70 heading west. It should be at least 3 lanes each way from Frederick at least as far as I-81 in Hagerstown, and preferably to the I-68 split in Hancock.

Did anyone mention I-81? That road desperately needs widening through Virginia, and probably elsewhere as well.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:27 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,139,636 times
I-25 through Colorado. Just awful at times, in many sections.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:51 PM

494 posts, read 254,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad21 View Post
Agree about I-85, but you didnít think big enough. It needs to be at least 6 lanes from Durham through Atlanta. I drove that between the gulf coast and the Triad numerous times and it was frequently a nightmare. Accident are one thing, but itís always slow just from volume/people driving slow in the one left lane for miles.
Agreed. GDOT has plans to widen 85 from Metro Atlanta to the SC border with construction starting soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.